Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Monte watr pump noise/removal

zillatattoo
06-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Hello all, first post here at AF.
Got a 96 monte LS 3.1. I have an issue with the water pump making a high pitch grinding/ squeal noise, I would assume its bad. I do have a problem with, and after reading a few posts I guess a common issue- The system gets pretty hot, a little over half way on the guage in stop and go but no real problem running the high way or short trips. Now,....my fans dont work and I replaced the relay fuse on one of the fans but it still doesnt turn on. They free-wheel so I dont believe its a fan motor problem ( am I wrong?) I also read about the thermostat and maybe need to switch to a lower temp one. The main problem I am having is getting the pump off. Its has the housing and 4 bolt pulley. When I look up parts online it shows (searching for water pump for my year and engine) what looks like a motor/bearing assembly which I would assume the pulley attaches to and "rests" in the housing? when I looked up earlier 80's replacement models it shows the housing and the same pulley. Is the pulley pressed onto the pump? I cant get the pulley off and dont want to bend it all up trying to pry it off. This is all assuming I am correct in diagnosing the pump to be a near future disaster as it apparently still works because the system still flows ......for now. any help appreciated thanks

rhandwor
06-26-2009, 06:12 PM
The water pump pulley on my 3.1L has four torx bolts which hold the pulley onto the pressed on part. The link is a picture of a small set. Loosen bolts before taking belt off.
http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_9640.htm
Look at how it is clocked and some bolts are longer than others.
The fans one the AC has to be on before it works. Try this and if it turns on swap relays. Use a small hammer and tap the fan motor if it runs install a new motor. A temperature sensor for the computer turns on the fan when it reaches a certain temperature. Use a 12 volt test light and check for voltage. The computer completes the ground. After you find the positive side hook the test light to the positive terminal the light should light when its grounded.

zillatattoo
06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks......
I took the time to proof-read my post but not the title-----"watr" sorry
I found a great vid on youtube this morning about the pump removal and install. Im not the smartest driveway mechanic but Ive never messed with a water pump before-got it in right now, gonna' test in the AM. I gator' clipped the fans to the battery and they work I have to double check the fuses, ran out of daylight as my garage is still filled with yardsale crap from LAST!!!! summer. Thanks for your help though.

Here is the link to the video if anyone is interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyubUW2o4jQ&feature=related

P.S. I didnt spend all day on it, I got kids, thats my excuse:)

Add your comment to this topic!