Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Jimmy Dies When Idling

rockavenger
03-08-2009, 01:47 AM
My 92 Jimmy dies when idling, the SES light will come on when I start it or when I start to slow down. While on the road I have no problem at all, only when stopped or going very slow. Because of my work schedule I haven't had the chance to get the codes pulled. I don't smell anything strange at this point.

Any ideas at this point? I've searched other threads, and found similar problems, but I couldn't find anything that matched my problem.

It's a 92 GMC Jimmy, 4 door, 4x4, with a 4.3 vortec.

duke350
03-08-2009, 03:02 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=553044
Start at post 2. It only takes a couple of minutes and a bent paper clip to pull the code(s). Without them you are just guessing.

rockavenger
03-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I went to Auto Zone to have them pull the codes. They said nothing would come up, it wouldn't even flash to show it's clear.

The Jimmy has developed a "hiss" behind of driver side of the dashboard that seems to correlate with the SES light coming on. It will go away at about 45-50 MPH but will slowly come back. Is this a vacuum problem? Would that explain the dying when stopping and idling?

duke350
03-10-2009, 09:52 AM
If the check engine light came on there will be a code. Even if the light is not on anymore, as long as the batt has not been disconnected, there will be a code, even if its a history code. Autozone may not be able to check your car since you have a 92, which is OBD I. They will only read OBD II systems. Try it yourself with a paperclip. You may have an ECM or wiring problem if you cannot retrieve codes.

The hiss behind the dash is most likely a vacuum problem. Do you loose vent heat when the hiss appears? By default, with no vacuum, you will have defrost no matter where the selector is set. I would not think the vacuum issue would cause the check engine light to come on. I have seen many cases where the vac line was unplugged completely and the light never came on. Its easy to knock off when you change the cap and rotor. If the light is coming on due to vacuum I would think you have a more severe problem somewhere else. But as stated earlier, get the codes first and we can take it from there.

Add your comment to this topic!