Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 ss starting poblums

fastcarsca1
01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Hello there just looking for some input on a starting problum that i seem to be having My 86 has the 305 in it and it was starting fine then just a few weeks ago when i turn the key all i got was a clicking sound, so i went to the yard near me and picked up a starter and tested it seemed to be ok so i put it in, when i tryed to start it i noticed that the fan moved a hair but then the starter just clicked, i thought mabe a lock, so pulled the plugs thurned it 1 full rev, by hand turned fine, when i tested the starter out of the car it made a clicking sound as it engaged the gear, any thoughts would help Thanks

'97ventureowner
01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Welcome to AF!
How are the battery cables and connections at the battery/starter? Sometimes corrosion can get in under the insulation on the cable and cause resistance. Making sure you have clean tight connections is important. Also what condition is the battery in? Those are the first places I would check for problems.

fastcarsca1
01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
the cable are in good order as i replaced them, the battery is well lol should be replaced but shouldn't it turn over when i put the battery booster on it and it has lots of juice?

j cAT
01-27-2009, 07:31 PM
the cable are in good order as i replaced them, the battery is well lol should be replaced but shouldn't it turn over when i put the battery booster on it and it has lots of juice?

the battery booster you have may not create enough power..

take the battery to get load tested...this WILL leave no doubt as to the batteries condition...your vehicle is very old... fusable links are also in need of testing......if you see these are green in color they are corroded....this is very common on these vehicles this old..

Add your comment to this topic!