Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

So I want a new....

kezia
02-24-2008, 05:05 PM
head unit. I've heard from a few people/places that for the 2001 cav there's a special wire harness that's kinda on the expensive side. I've tried looking around to see what i can find and didn't have much luck. so what kind of cost am i looking at for installing it myself? not including the cost of the deck itself which isn't a concern but with wire harness + whatever else is involved. and how hard/tedious is it to take apart the dash to install?

Classicrocjunkie
02-24-2008, 09:30 PM
www.crutchfield.com - comes with everything you need and it shows you the adapter you need if you want to keep your door chimes. Or just get a double din deck.

ZenithZ24
02-24-2008, 11:15 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=751&i=120GMRC01&c=3&tp=678

There's the adaptor you need. It seems expensive, but I picked up a similar adaptor at Wal-Mart for just under $40.00 dollars but it shorted out my Anti-Lock braking module and is now costing me $200 for everything the Dealer did to diagnos and fix the problem (which ended up being them removing the device and nothing else...). So if you want to keep the saftey and power features spend the money on a quality module. This is going to be the device I purchase when I install my new deck in my 03 Cavalier.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=321030

And here's the write up to removing your dash board to get to your stereo. Its not not hard just time consuming. Take your time, these pieces tend to crack if pulled or twisted the wrong way.

Total: $10 Antenna Adaptor, $15-20 mounting bracket, $80 Interface adaptor (or about $10 for standard harness if you don't mind losing door chimes, and power on/off features), Electric tape or heat srinking wire splicers $2-5

Good luck. Hardest part for me was organizing my wires to fit behind the deck. XD

kezia
02-24-2008, 11:37 PM
oy vey this shall be a fun project

Add your comment to this topic!