Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

110mph......

chevyfreak
01-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Hey on my way to weights class about 5:30am the roads were clear so i said what the hell....when i got 110mph it stoped accelerating and it was like i didnt even have my foot on the pedal and i tryed again and when i got up to 110again it did the same thing. Is this some kinda of saftey device? if so how can i get it to stop.

Shortbus
01-20-2003, 11:25 AM
It's a saftey feature. Here is an excertp from the gm manual about fuel cutoff modes. Hope this answers your question.

Fuel Cutoff Mode
The PCM cuts OFF fuel from the fuel injectors when the following conditions are met in order to protect the powertrain from damage and improve driveability:

The ignition is OFF. This prevents engine run-on.
The ignition is ON but there is no ignition reference signal. This prevents flooding or backfiring.
The engine speed is too high, above red line.
The vehicle speed is too high, above rated tire speed.
During an extended, high speed, closed throttle coast down. This reduces emissions and increases engine braking.
During extended deceleration, in order to prevent damage to the catalytic converters.

EDIT:other than reprogramming the pcm or installing a performance pcm i don't know of anyway to get around it

SuPeRcAr_MaN
01-20-2003, 02:53 PM
...GM and their stupid restrictions :mad:

Rich
01-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by SuPeRcAr_MaN
...GM and their stupid restrictions :mad:

Most vehicles that I know of have similar limiters. I think it is actually law in some places. It really is a good safety feature, as going faster than the limited speed is unsafe on stock speed rated tires.

chevyfreak
01-20-2003, 05:48 PM
well i would really like to get rid of this saftey feature...is it unsafe in anyway besides tires(what tires would it be safe with?

Shortbus
01-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by chevyfreak
(what tires would it be safe with?

you shouldn't need anything past a U rating.

S-112MPH
T-118MPH
U-124MPH
H-130MPH
V-149MPH
Z-149+MPH
W-168MPH
Y-186MPH

dark_elf
01-22-2003, 08:41 AM
You can disable the governer by puting a switch in the wire for the spedometer.
What this will do is, as you are approaching the governed speed you can shut off the switch, which shuts off power to your spedometer so you wont know how fast you are going.

Do not turn the switch back on when driving really fast, it is not good for the car.

By the way:

I don't recomend this, I am just mentioning that it can be done. If you are driving 110 you are already driving fast enough. This modification should only be used to claim bragging rights.

Zero8985
01-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Ah, i remember the first time i hit 110 in my Z-24... i was racing my friends mustang 5.0 for shits and giggles and as i was on his ass, it cut out right at 110 and wouldn't turn on till i lowered my speed.... heh.... i love gm... then they go and make a supercharger for the cavalier, so you can hit that 110 mark faster and stop accelerating...

mugenrsx
02-06-2003, 06:35 PM
I just got in on a group buy for an ASE chip that you can have programmed for whatever you want. i had mine programmed to remove all limiters. No more 108 cut off bullshit. I would not waste money on anything under a z rating on a tire. it really depends what you are looking to do.. if you are more straight line top speed then your gonna want something different from a handling tire. i bought a pair of potenza s03 and in my opinion they are not as good as the stock tires off the line. the s03 are narrower and have no give. get a pair of dunop 205,55/16 or what ever you have. those are great off the line. less wheel hop and if they do break loose on a slip they just sqeel and grip. i can get 0-60 times on average of 6.4 sec on my g-tech with the occassional 5.9. with the s03's they would either spin like crazy or give bad wheel hop.

Add your comment to this topic!