Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Power Loss

monkbinder
12-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I've got a 98, 96k km. All of a sudden my battery light is on and it seems to be running strait of battery power and not getting any help from the alternator... It has died twice on me but starts back up after a boost and runs until the battery goes dead. Im still not completely convinced it's the alternater. What test can I do to be sure of my problem????

jakegday
12-07-2007, 04:25 PM
most local auto parts stores will test it for free, they can even test it without you having to remove it from the car, but dont be surprised if it is indeed your alternator, that is a very VERY common problem for cavaliers

shakewell
12-08-2007, 03:34 PM
It sure sounds like a bad alternator to me.

monkbinder
12-10-2007, 02:36 PM
thanks for the advice guys

Classicrocjunkie
12-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Alternator... doesn't hurt to get it tested as well. The battery's usually only last 5 years from GM if your lucky.

nmminor
12-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Probably your alternator, and I know how you hate to hear that it's expensive. Mine is having the same problem (96 Cavalier LS & never had a alternator or battery put on & is at 144k), got a new alternator I'm buyin that's 2 months old off his wrecked Cav for $50.

IT could possibly be your belt that's worn or broke also. And I suggest anyway, if it is the alternator and you're going to change it, pay an extra $15 or so dollars and get a new belt to go on at the same time. Hopefully you can do the job youself and keep your costs down to a minimum.

Good luck... I guess we both ran into the same type of car issues at the worst time of year, Holidays.

Add your comment to this topic!