Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 maxima vs 03 altima 3.5L

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

JBL85
02-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Paonessa

I don't think your observations hold any merit considering you've been here for a week

No, remember he is Superman and I am clark kent, so he has been here just as long as me, which is longer then you!!!!!

bk2kmax
02-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Ok so Nick has some points made about times, however he still neglects or outright avoids the 0-60 times for the Altima 2.5SE he drives, there's only one place on the net that has even bothered to post those times, BTW the times for all of those who need to be refreshed are:

Altima 2.5 SE 0-60= 9.5/9.6 and that's with that shorter gear ratioed 5 speed that he keeps putting all of his faith in.

As far a torque being an issue, we're not even comparing trucks to cars, that has no merit here, we're comparing cars of comparable size & weight ratio. That Honda S2000 you are talking about is lighter than your car and has a 9000 tach, so naturally you are not going to be able to beat him, not to mention you have 4 doors and he has 2.

If that was a counterpoint to the torque issue, you are going to have to do better than that and oh btw there was or is a all motor max that did the 1/4 in 12.2 on the org<just FYI
I haven't seen an Altima in that territory.
Anyway, I don't think anyone here doubts the 3.5 is a smoker, it's that 2.5 that everyone questions, there's no way in hell it is going to carry almost the same weight as the 3.5 and be as fast as it, that just doesn't happen.

Given the power to weight ratio, the times quoted for a 2.5SE 5spd Altima is right on par with 9.5/9.6 to 60 mph give or take a .5 differential.

Paonessa
02-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by JBL85

sorry quoted the wrong guy ^^^^
Ok here you guys go off again, I am not reading those 2 pages because I dont care what you guys have to say at this point.

Yeah I made n1smo up and I openly bash his cars, n1smo you cars suck :rolleyes: I can smoke them :rolleyes:

Anyhow you guys are bringing up a bunch of useless arguments and to I think it was paonessa saying I never brought up the weight argument, go check back in the beggining that was one of my first arguemnts, seems you guys are a little pissed now that me and my self (n1smo) brought up enough valid points.

i never said anyhing about you and weight. It was someone else. re read the posts

but as for your insane car comparison, your dads truck's probably a 3 ton tank, and an s2000 is just over a ton. a jdm b16 makes more than 111 lbs of torque. b16 is just an engine code like vq30. an EX honda civic with 125 hp has a b16 in it. if that hatch-back has a b16 from an american spec honda then you really will own it. My friend has a 1990 civic hatch with a JDM b16c and it's a bullet. JDM is the key. like an sr20det is a jdm. i'll admit that civic would beat me if we were to race. and i'll admit it cuz i've seen what this car is capable of for myself as a passenger and a driver. when i see your altima in front of a 4th gen max on video, i'll change my opinion.
and i beat type r 's, gsr's, and preludes but I wouldn't expect an automatic 4th gen to do all that. i would however, expect one to beat a base model altima.

JBL85
02-09-2003, 04:46 PM

i never said anyhing about you and weight. It was someone else. re read the posts

but as for your insane car comparison, your dads truck's probably a 3 ton tank, and an s2000 is just over a ton. a jdm b16 makes more than 111 lbs of torque. b16 is just an engine code like vq30. an EX honda civic with 125 hp has a b16 in it. if that hatch-back has a b16 from an american spec honda then you really will own it. My friend has a 1990 civic hatch with a JDM b16c and it's a bullet. JDM is the key. like an sr20det is a jdm. i'll admit he beats me. and i'll admit it cuz i've seen it happen in person. when i see your altima in front of a 4th gen max on video, i'll change my opinion.
and i beat type r 's, gsr's, and preludes but I wouldn't expect an automatic 4th gen to do all that. i would however, expect one to beat a base model altima.

Im sorry, I meant a B16 Vtec with DOHC transplated into a CRX, and I can beat it since it only has 111lbs of torque. American B16s have 160hp if they are DOHC. So it in no means has to be a JDM motor. Learn your facts first.

Ok and my 0-60 is not 9 seconds. You guys ever sit in your maxima nad count 1thousand 1, 1thousnad 2, and so on, in my maxima it was like 8-9 seconds, so unless you are at a drag strip, in cool weather, with 94 octane fuel and a 1/10 of a tank of gas, fresh oil, properley broken in motor, you aint gonna get no 7.2 seconds in a stock maxima.

JBL85
02-09-2003, 04:50 PM
0-60 in 8 seconds in my Altima

.Right mouse click, then click save as. (ttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p95bf13bb50c9dd3749b8f2af19f437be/fceb8906.mpg)

thats also not agressive shifting. Listen, no chirp into second gear. let me know if it works.

bk2kmax
02-09-2003, 04:54 PM

Im sorry, I meant a B16 Vtec with DOHC transplated into a CRX, and I can beat it since it only has 111lbs of torque. American B16s have 160hp if they are DOHC. So it in no means has to be a JDM motor. Learn your facts first.

Ok and my 0-60 is not 9 seconds. You guys ever sit in your maxima nad count 1thousand 1, 1thousnad 2, and so on, in my maxima it was like 8-9 seconds, so unless you are at a drag strip, in cool weather, with 94 octane fuel and a 1/10 of a tank of gas, fresh oil, properley broken in motor, you aint gonna get no 7.2 seconds in a stock maxima.

Nick fyi I didn't make that up, I quoted it from one of the sources that has PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS take cars out like yours and mine and test them. I don't do buttdynos and 7.2 from a stock maxima is about right for the 2k/2k1's 0-60, but I thought 9.5/9.6 was a little too high myself but that is what they stated.

I didn't think B16's were DOHC, anyway, that is a moot point, what do you estimate (buttdyno of course) your 0-60 time to be?

PRO Driver's quote 2.5 5spd Altima SE=0-60 in 9.5/9.6

Nick's buttdyno?=

What is your estimate or do you have a G Tech or timeslips for your 0-60 or 1/4 times?

I'm not trying to be some smart @$$ or something just asking in general.

JBL85
02-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by bk2kmax

Nick fyi I didn't make that up, I quoted it from one of the sources that has PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS take cars out like yours and mine and test them. I don't do buttdynos and 7.2 from a stock maxima is about right for the 2k/2k1's 0-60, but I thought 9.5/9.6 was a little too high myself but that is what they stated.

I didn't think B16's were DOHC, anyway, that is a moot point, what do you estimate (buttdyno of course) your 0-60 time to be?

PRO Driver's quote 2.5 5spd Altima SE=0-60 in 9.5/9.6

Nick's buttdyno?=

What is your estimate or do you have a G Tech or timeslips for your 0-60 or 1/4 times?

I'm not trying to be some smart @$$ or something just asking in general.

I go by timing myself, if you watch my video, at the 9 second mark my car is going 60mph, but keep in mind that I also start accelerating after 1 second from the begining of the video.

B16 motor is only SOHC, they come in 4 USDM versions. First one makes 94 HP, second one makes 107 or 113 hp, third one makes 130hp with SOHC vtec, fourth one is DOHC vtec that was used in the Civic Si from 1999-2000. The motor now is a B17 and used in all 7th gen civics.

But that is off topic to what we are talking about. Watch my video you can see my 0-60 is better then 9.2 seconds, also those profressional drivers that test cars are idiots if a kid with no driving skill can do it in 8. I know I could do 0-60 in 30 seconds in a Maxima, but if I were going to advertise the car, I would put the time I got when at WOT.

Also was that 9.2 0-60 on the automatic, because that sure as hell aint to 5 speed time unless my grandma is driving.

Paonessa
02-09-2003, 05:00 PM

You're right. i forgot about the SI's. but i've seen what si engines are capable of and i'm not impressed. i don't know what the weight difference is between a civic and a crx though so you may have a valid point there. but at least i can admit when i'm wrong or under-informed.
BTW i choose not to click that link i don't trust you

n1smo
02-09-2003, 05:00 PM

There's no way you can beat a Type R ;) Seriously, I had said b4 that we are all slow.. To the point where nobody is pulling on anybody and we are talking a few car lengths.. This is why there is so much debate as to who is faster because we are all basically running same times. I don't race as much as when I had my 96... Infact nobody seems to be interested in racing my Y2k for one reason or another :( And I don't start sh1t like I used to... (comes with age) But when I did race, I have noticed that the Maxima is an awesome car.... When I was fresh back from driving on the Autobahn.. I would chase down Rustangs and probably not because they can't go faster but because they are just not as crazy as I was (and frankly.. not as skilled) ... So, I guess what I'm trying to get at is: JUST DRIVE BABY!!! Have fun and enjoy your ride... doesn't matter if it is an Altima or a Maxima or even a Camry!!! :D Go find an empty back road and have some fun!!!! Instead of all this argueing among fellow Nissan owners.

BTW... Type Rs are freakin fast.... My brother's got one... JDM front... and just about every bolt-on known except for the Jackson Racing SC. That car should not be compared to a Maxima....

JBL85
02-09-2003, 05:06 PM

You're right. i forgot about the SI's. but i've seen what si engines are capable of and i'm not impressed. i don't know what the weight difference is between a civic and a crx though so you may have a valid point there. but at least i can admit when i'm wrong or under-informed.
BTW i choose not to click that link i don't trust you

I dont want you to click it anyways.

And no, I could in no way beat a CRX with a B16 motor in it, they weigh under a ton and with a SI tranny in there, they can rip up the gears and haul some major ass.

Paonessa
02-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by n1smo

There's no way you can beat a Type R ;) Seriously, I had said b4 that we are all slow.. To the point where nobody is pulling on anybody and we are talking a few car lengths.. This is why there is so much debate as to who is faster because we are all basically running same times. I don't race as much as when I had my 96... Infact nobody seems to be interested in racing my Y2k for one reason or another :( And I don't start sh1t like I used to... (comes with age) But when I did race, I have noticed that the Maxima is an awesome car.... When I was fresh back from driving on the Autobahn.. I would chase down Rustangs and probably not because they can't go faster but because they are just not as crazy as I was (and frankly.. not as skilled) ... So, I guess what I'm trying to get at is: JUST DRIVE BABY!!! Have fun and enjoy your ride... doesn't matter if it is an Altima or a Maxima or even a Camry!!! :D Go find an empty back road and have some fun!!!! Instead of all this argueing among fellow Nissan owners.

BTW... Type Rs are freakin fast.... My brother's got one... JDM front... and just about every bolt-on known except for the Jackson Racing SC. That car should not be compared to a Maxima....

Well i don't wanna turn into the Nick of this forum but i defintely raced and beat a yellow Type-R. unless some GSR switched his badging

n1smo
02-09-2003, 05:07 PM
0-60 in 8 seconds in my Altima

.Right mouse click, then click save as. (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p95bf13bb50c9dd3749b8f2af19f437be/fceb8906.mpg)

thats also not agressive shifting. Listen, no chirp into second gear. let me know if it works.

Pulls pretty good Nick... but you might want to edit the link because it's missing the "h" in http... ;)

JBL85
02-09-2003, 05:08 PM

That car should not be compared to a Maxima....

Paonessa has a 5 speed maxima, a type R at its best only runs a 14.8 1/4, that is with a really skilled driver, otherwise they are only doing 15 seconds. a GXE 4th gen with a 5 speed tranny can do a 14.9, so it would be a good race, a drivers race at that.

JBL85
02-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Right mouse click, then save as, let me know if it works. (http://www.definitivemotorsports.com/video/drive1.mpeg)

that one works, use that one

n1smo
02-09-2003, 05:14 PM

Well i don't wanna turn into the Nick of this forum but i defintely raced and beat a yellow Type-R. unless some GSR switched his badging

I was just kidding about you can't beat a Type R... Hence the ;) behind the post... Like I said... Driver is key.. I beat my brother in my 96' when he had his 97' Eclipse GST (modded, boost controller) because the kid doesn't know how to shift! When I first got my 96, I let him drive it and he rode the sh1t out of my clutch and he tells me that is how you are supposed to do it in a race... I was like... get the f@#k outta my car!!! Spent the next few days smelling my clutch :rolleyes:

But yes, his freakin Type R kicks ass.... nothing but respect for those things.... I won't even say how much he beat me by.. hehehhehe :p

n1smo
02-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Right mouse click, then save as, let me know if it works. (http://www.definitivemotorsports.com/video/drive1.mpeg)

that one works, use that one

Works :)

As I was saying... That's pretty good ... I especially like how you chirped the tires toward the end of first.... What size wheels are you running, can't really tell by your altima page (http://www.altimas.net/registry/vehicles.php?vehicleid=724) . 17"s?!?!! You had 2 ppl in the car also right?

JBL85
02-09-2003, 05:26 PM
I beat a GS-T in my Maxima. It was Auto VS Auto, but he also was a rag top. You should have seen the look on the kids face, we went from 0-110 and I all i did was pull. Everyone heard about that at school the next day.

Also in my Maxima I beat a 300M with 250hp and a lot more torque then my Maxima.

So, I also beat a few Maximas in my Altima with a 4 cylinder motor....

JBL85
02-09-2003, 05:40 PM

Works :)

As I was saying... That's pretty good ... I especially like how you chirped the tires toward the end of first.... What size wheels are you running, can't really tell by your altima page (http://www.altimas.net/registry/vehicles.php?vehicleid=724) . 17"s?!?!! You had 2 ppl in the car also right?

No, just my cousin in my car, I weigh 180lbs he weighs about 150lbs, and I had half a tank of gas. So it was pretty much how it is dialy driven.

Wheels are 17's, very light weight, they are forged from what I hear, they are from the G35 Infiniti.

http://www.altimas.net/registry/users/JBL85/images/lg_Image05.jpg
LOL, it loooks fast :D

bk2kmax
02-09-2003, 06:14 PM

I go by timing myself, if you watch my video, at the 9 second mark my car is going 60mph, but keep in mind that I also start accelerating after 1 second from the begining of the video.

B16 motor is only SOHC, they come in 4 USDM versions. First one makes 94 HP, second one makes 107 or 113 hp, third one makes 130hp with SOHC vtec, fourth one is DOHC vtec that was used in the Civic Si from 1999-2000. The motor now is a B17 and used in all 7th gen civics.

But that is off topic to what we are talking about. Watch my video you can see my 0-60 is better then 9.2 seconds, also those profressional drivers that test cars are idiots if a kid with no driving skill can do it in 8. I know I could do 0-60 in 30 seconds in a Maxima, but if I were going to advertise the car, I would put the time I got when at WOT.

Also was that 9.2 0-60 on the automatic, because that sure as hell aint to 5 speed time unless my grandma is driving.

According to the test I saw it was definitely a 5spd but like I said I thought it was too high. I believe that 8 seconds was about right based on it being .5 bigger engine than previous gen altimas and it was a 5 spd.

Also that link or whatever you posted isn't working for me, can you put it in again or tell me what it is all about.
Thanks
Nick

n1smo
02-09-2003, 06:32 PM
I take those numbers off magazines with a grain of salt... It almost seems like they take bribe money from auto manufactures sometimes. Nissan didn't give much cash and they get slammed... Especially the Maxima because it is Nissan's "Flagship". I've read so much negative stuff about the 5th gen.... and even with the introduction of the 6th gen, the magazines still have to slam on the 5th gen... And the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are totally off because .org members get much better numbers than those. I remember MT gave the 2000 Maxima SE a 0-60 time of 6.7 sec the first drive... but after that.. its all been over 7 sec. And ofcourse the cars they test drive has been driven to the ground by other people in the press... So I usually say.. screwed the words in those magazines.. I just look at the pictures :D and manufacturer specs.

joeB
02-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Nice car:D

Pick
02-09-2003, 07:28 PM
So is anybody gonna race? By the way, now that JoeB, Nismo, and JBL aren't arguing:

Pick
02-09-2003, 07:29 PM
I didn't finish my message. LOL:D :D :bloated: :bloated:

Pick
02-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Inresponse to the post that the 3.5 Altima can beat a 2002 Max, think again.

Pick
02-09-2003, 07:32 PM
I think the Altima 3.5's running the really good times on the dot org were either:
A) factory freaks
B) had really good drivers
C) were testing at or below sea level.

joeB
02-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Pick
So is anybody gonna race? By the way, now that JoeB, Nismo, and JBL aren't arguing:

You want to keep on arguing about this stuff?

are you really bored?:D

JBL85
02-09-2003, 08:07 PM
I think the Altima 3.5's running the really good times on the dot org were either:

:rolleyes: So what is your point, that the car is being driven correctly. Originally the argument arised when I said I was a good driver and beat an Auto Max, so that means I was just pushing my car to the lmits.

And an Altima, running like crap with a 5 speed can still run a 14.7 second 1/4 (some guys posted their times and they said they cant drive) take that into account, now running up against a Automatic Maxima from 96, and I beat one of these 4th gen autos, you are gonna need a grip of mods to make it run anywhere near as good as a V6 Altima, so hopefully I answered teh guys question that posted this thread :D

joeB
02-09-2003, 08:11 PM
A) factory freaks
C) were testing at or below sea level.

Best time for a 02 6 speed Maxima 0 to 60 was - 6.0

Best time Ive seen by two mags for the five speed

Altima 3.5 SE - 0 to 60 were 5.9.

I guess it would come down to the driver.:spit:

daveauth21
02-10-2003, 12:41 AM
hey,started a poll want you guys to take a look an vote,this goes for the altima guys too hope we can finaly end this dispute once an for all. i also wanted to add that if i would have knowed how much of a problem this thread has been i would have never started it ,i was just asking a simple question and that was what would give me the edge over a 3.5l altima i know now what i needed to add to my car and have sence beat quiet a few 3.5l altimas,and 3.5l maximas i'am no longer intested in racing either of these car ,i have bigger fish to fry like 300zxtt and 350z i have to date beat my old crx(dynoed at 247.7 hp) using nos and my new 370cc injectors and new .047 nos jet (yes now running 100 shot):smoker2:

JBL85
02-10-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by daveauth21
hey,started a poll want you guys to take a look an vote,this goes for the altima guys too hope we can finaly end this dispute once an for all. i also wanted to add that if i would have knowed how much of a problem this thread has been i would have never started it ,i was just asking a simple question and that was what would give me the edge over a 3.5l altima i know now what i needed to add to my car and have sence beat quiet a few 3.5l altimas,and 3.5l maximas i'am no longer intested in racing either of these car ,i have bigger fish to fry like 300zxtt and 350z i have to date beat my old crx(dynoed at 247.7 hp) using nos and my new 370cc injectors and new .047 nos jet (yes now running 100 shot):smoker2:

Sorry to burst your bubble daveauth21, but you really need to research other cars you want to beat more. Or rather, research mods you can do that will put you into the 13second range.

First of all, a 300zxTT only runs 1/4s in the high 13's to low 14's and the 350z is the same, guys in V6 Altimas are staying neck and neck with the new Z, its sad, but keep in mind the Z can tear most cars up at the track.

You didnt start any problems with the thread, it was a good argument that finally made some sense to everyone.

As for you beating a Altima, just keep in mind, your car will need to be running in the low 14's.

Good Luck :D

daveauth21
02-10-2003, 01:02 AM
well i finaily agree with you about the 300 and 350z this is why i'am going after these cars instead of the maximas and altima i know what all these cars are about i think i stated in a earlier post my uncle is the general manager at our local nissan dealer an i have driven both these cars before. they are both strong cars i agree but i think my maxima is a stong car also with all the mods i have plus upgrading my nos from 65-to-100 shot i think my chance of beating one of these car has grown i should have close to 270hp at the wheels which is a good 50-60hp more at the wheels than a 3.5l altima or maxima with my little 3.0 engine

JBL85
02-10-2003, 01:05 AM
well i finaily agree with you about the 300 and 350z this is why i'am going after these cars instead of the maximas and altima i know what all these cars are about i think i stated in a earlier post my uncle is the general manager at our local nissan dealer an i have driven both these cars before. they are both strong cars i agree but i think my maxima is a stong car also with all the mods i have plus upgrading my nos from 65-to-100 shot i think my chance of beating one of these car has grown i should have close to 270hp at the wheels which is a good 50-60hp more at the wheels than a 3.5l altima or maxima with my little 3.0 engine

I have no doubt about it, your car can beat all 4 of them when you spray NOS. With a nice 100 shot you should be in the mid 13's. I take it you have been running nos for awhile since you are running that high, you have a copper head gasket and your internals have been changed or will be when they burn up.

daveauth21
02-10-2003, 01:18 AM
i have a new 3.0l engine with only 2300 miles(from a 99 maxima) that has been completely striped an rebuilt by the same guy that built my crx engine just waiting to blow this engine to put in the other i'am not sure exactly every thing he did to the engine but he said its good for about 450hp which after i turbo with nos(running 65shot again)should put me a about 420-430 hp now thats not bad at all by the way nick if i knew that i could do this to a 3.5l altima i would i do like the way they look and how the standard feels(very strong through the entire rpm band)and very smooth by the way i do like the way your altima looks with that body kit

JBL85
02-10-2003, 01:25 AM
i have a new 3.0l engine with only 2300 miles(from a 99 maxima) that has been completely striped an rebuilt by the same guy that built my crx engine just waiting to blow this engine to put in the other i'am not sure exactly every thing he did to the engine but he said its good for about 450hp which after i turbo with nos(running 65shot again)should put me a about 420-430 hp now thats not bad at all by the way nick if i knew that i could do this to a 3.5l altima i would i do like the way they look and how the standard feels(very strong through the entire rpm band)and very smooth by the way i do like the way your altima looks with that body kit

Did you find out about swapping a VQ35 into your car?

That is awesome about the motor, 400+ hp will be good for some fun and you can be running anywhere from 11-12 second 1/4s, time to pick on vetts :)

thanks for the compliemnt :)

JBL85
02-10-2003, 01:27 AM
Oh yeah, you running the auto tranny wiht 400+ hp? You need to mod your tranny as well dont you? V/B valve job and some other stuff I imagine.

daveauth21
02-10-2003, 01:29 AM
level 10 bulletproof tranny and billet torque convertor

JBL85
02-10-2003, 01:49 AM
Good Stuff, at least your doing it right. How come you are staying with an Auto tranny and not converting to a manual tranny?

Pick
02-10-2003, 08:46 AM

:rolleyes: So what is your point, that the car is being driven correctly. Originally the argument arised when I said I was a good driver and beat an Auto Max, so that means I was just pushing my car to the lmits.

And an Altima, running like crap with a 5 speed can still run a 14.7 second 1/4 (some guys posted their times and they said they cant drive) take that into account, now running up against a Automatic Maxima from 96, and I beat one of these 4th gen autos, you are gonna need a grip of mods to make it run anywhere near as good as a V6 Altima, so hopefully I answered teh guys question that posted this thread :D

Dude, I was just trying to get back on topic. Secondly, I'n sure a Maxima with the right driver and the right track has run at least that or a better time, I'll check it out......

Pick
02-10-2003, 08:49 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble daveauth21, but you really need to research other cars you want to beat more. Or rather, research mods you can do that will put you into the 13second range.

First of all, a 300zxTT only runs 1/4s in the high 13's to low 14's and the 350z is the same, guys in V6 Altimas are staying neck and neck with the new Z, its sad, but keep in mind the Z can tear most cars up at the track.

You didnt start any problems with the thread, it was a good argument that finally made some sense to everyone.

As for you beating a Altima, just keep in mind, your car will need to be running in the low 14's.

Good Luck :D

Where did you see this shit? There's no Altima's staying neck and neck with a 350Z, you are a bullshitter. By neck and neck, do you mean 3 car lengths?

daveauth21
02-10-2003, 09:05 AM
i was never much of a driver with a manual my crx was and to me just was a pain in the a$$ around here ,plus i'am not plaining on using the car a whole lot after it's finished it's to be a show car thats why i bought 2 maximas one for show and one to race. my 95 is undergoing a engine swap that has failed us 4 times so far(custom fab. the engine compartment to fit a small block v8) hopefully we'll get it in soon an beable to work on the replacement tranny,and subframe so the car just won't fall apart at the track.now this should be a fast car when complete. oh and from what i understand you can put just about any engine(but not all engines)in a maxima it's just how much money your willing to spend(alot of custom work has to be done to do this just the engine and engine compartment) has cost me around 8gs and thats not close to being finished i figure around 30-35gs to complete the car

Pick
02-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by joeB

Best time for a 02 6 speed Maxima 0 to 60 was - 6.0

Best time Ive seen by two mags for the five speed

Altima 3.5 SE - 0 to 60 were 5.9.

I guess it would come down to the driver.:spit:

Can you get me the website for those times? i'm not trying to instigate, that just doesn't sound right.

Pick
02-10-2003, 09:27 AM
I saw that video also ;) There was no mention it was a 3.5... Also, driver is a big factor in races.... If you go on the 1/4 forum in the .org.. You will see the dude's post that said he ran 13.9 with an .org member at the track as witness. The best time I've seen by a Max 3.5 6spd is also 13.9 and I think you know who I'm talking about if you go to the .org at all. And his Max is far from being stock...

I also believe that the 6spd has a larger power loss than the 5spd... A lot of the V-spec guys are complaining about their 6spd.... I could be wrong, just going by what they say.

I'm sittting here looking at the Altima guy's post and HE WAS NOT STOCK. Here is his post:

CAR 2003 ALTIMA 5 speed blue BASE SE
Weight 3200 with driver.,,removed pass. seat..rear seat lower cushoin....spare tire....
MODS..Stillen WAI off a 2002 maxi..with a mid pipe..Catback single exhuast with a apex N1 canister..NO OTHER MODS...NO PULLEY< NO Y PIPE....i had 6 passes last night at Sacramento county raceway....

I don't believe that is stock, you freaking moron.

Pick
02-10-2003, 09:44 AM
I didn't mean to call you a freaking moron, just get your facts straight before you post them. That was a legitimate argument, just not well supported. Who was the guy that ran 13.9 in the Maxima?

joeB
02-10-2003, 02:33 PM

Where did you see this shit? There's no Altima's staying neck and neck with a 350Z, you are a bullshitter. By neck and neck, do you mean 3 car lengths?

Why is that? I watched a race with a 6 speed Maxima and a 6 speed
350Z. It was weird, but the Maxima ended up leaving it a car lenth.

I doubt its impossible either to beat a 350Z, times on these cars are
close 0 to 60 and to 100.

joeB
02-10-2003, 02:38 PM

Can you get me the website for those times? i'm not trying to instigate, that just doesn't sound right.

Yea the Maxima was from Car&Driver, and the Altimas time was

from Motor Trend. Why doesnt that sound right? Ive driven both

the Maxima and Altima, they both seemed very close in speed, which

they are. I did think that the Altima felt faster than the Maxima

though.

joeB
02-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Also I watched Motor week and they got the Altima 0 to 60

in 5.9. Top speed maybe different story, the Maxima might be

faster, Ill have to check later.

Pick
02-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Yeah, check later. I've been to a few auto websites and 6.3 seems to be the lowest 0-60 time i have found for the Altima.

Pick
02-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Here is a quote from Car and Driver on the 2002 Altima 3.5SE. Certainly a lot more than 5.9......

Quote: this Altima scratches to 60 in 7.3 seconds and tears through the quarter-mile in 15.6 seconds at 91 mph. :end Quote

Pick
02-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Now here is the times for a 2002 Maxima SE:

Quote: 6.0 seconds to 60, 15.7 to 100, and 14.7 seconds at 97 mph over the quarter-mile.: end Quote

Even the 1999 Maxima SE beats the 3.5 Altima. Check this out:

Quote: the last manual Maxima we tested in June 1999: 0 to 60 in 7.0, 19.5 to 100, and 15.6 seconds at 91 mph for the quarter.: end quote

Now, this is professional drivers. Anything that some random guy posts about his car he took to the track is complete heresay. These are cold, hard facts, not heresay. I'd say Car and Driver is trustworhty, wouldn't you?

Pick
02-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Also I watched Motor week and they got the Altima 0 to 60

in 5.9. Top speed maybe different story, the Maxima might be

faster, Ill have to check later.

I got 6.3 off of Motorweek...

Pick
02-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Now, in response to the person talikng about the 3.5SE Altima staying with the 350Z, here is its times:

Quote:The 350Z Touring's 5.7-second run to 60 mph and 14.3-second quarter-mile.: end Quote.

350Z 0-60: 5.7
3.5 altima 0-60: 7.3

350Z 1/4 mile: 14.3
3.5 altima 1/4 mile: 15.6

Those comments were totally not true.......

Just for kicks:
1999 Maxima SE 0-60: 7.0
3.5 Altima 0-60: 7.3

1999 Maxima SE 1/4 mile: 15.6
3.5 Altima 1/4 mile: 15.6

thrasher
02-10-2003, 05:49 PM
yeah, yeah, yeah, no way in hell a vq30 can stay with a 3.5 altima, you quoted the 0-60 time for an auto Altima, not a 5 sp. with smae trans type, 3.5 will woop 3.0, no question

Pick
02-10-2003, 06:34 PM
I just put the times Car and Driver had. It probably was an Auto Altima, I'll check and get back to you later.

bk2kmax
02-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by thrasher
yeah, yeah, yeah, no way in hell a vq30 can stay with a 3.5 altima, you quoted the 0-60 time for an auto Altima, not a 5 sp. with smae trans type, 3.5 will woop 3.0, no question

Well FYI, it depends on what speeds you are talking about as to whether or not a 3.0 can stay with a 3.5:

If it is from a standing start the 3.5 will eat the 3.0 but on the roll the 3.0 pulls on the 3.5, don't believe me, go to the org, there's even a video of it.

Don't just be so quick to diss the 3.0 and underestimate its' capability while at the same time overestimating the 3.5, as a matter of fact one of the quotes from one of the races that happened from a standstill with a 3.5 Altima vs a 3.0 Max was that the Altima only beat it by half a car through the quarter.
If I find the post I'll transport it here.

n1smo
02-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by bk2kmax

Well FYI, it depends on what speeds you are talking about as to whether or not a 3.0 can stay with a 3.5:

If it is from a standing start the 3.5 will eat the 3.0 but on the roll the 3.0 pulls on the 3.5, don't believe me, go to the org, there's even a video of it.

Don't just be so quick to diss the 3.0 and underestimate its' capability while at the same time overestimating the 3.5, as a matter of fact one of the quotes from one of the races that happened from a standstill with a 3.5 Altima vs a 3.0 Max was that the Altima only beat it by half a car through the quarter.
If I find the post I'll transport it here.

This is true.. and we are talking about a slightly modded 3.0 5spd hanging with/beating in this case.. 2 stock 3.5 6spd.. not auto... Nissan made changes to the intake manifolds on the 3.5 so that it allows for more power down low, and this in turn really took out the top end on this engine. Its almost like the VQ30DE in its power curve. I see that the VQ30DE-K's creates power all the way up to the redline while the VQ35DE runs out of breath like the VQ30DE. In that sense, we can see why the modded 3.0 beat the 3.5 on the freeway. The 3.5s are not that fast, I can take an auto off the line with my 3.0 5spd :)

JBL85
02-10-2003, 07:58 PM

If I am a bullshitter, you areant too bright.

1/4 times on both cars are low 14's, so its possible and it does happen.

joeB
02-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Here is a quote from Car and Driver on the 2002 Altima 3.5SE. Certainly a lot more than 5.9......

Quote: this Altima scratches to 60 in 7.3 seconds and tears through the quarter-mile in 15.6 seconds at 91 mph. :end Quote

I was talking about five speed Altima and 6 speed Maxima.

That 7.3 was for a automatic Altima 3.5 SE.

joeB
02-10-2003, 08:41 PM

I got 6.3 off of Motorweek...

I watched it when the Altima came out. Motor week tested the
3.5 5 speed Altima at 0 to 60 in 5.9 and 14.4 @ 100mph in the 1/4.

Its on the website. 2002 Altima.

JBL85
02-10-2003, 08:48 PM

I watched it when the Altima came out. Motor week tested the
3.5 5 speed Altima at 0 to 60 in 5.9 and 14.4 @ 100mph in the 1/4.

Its on the website. 2002 Altima.

Yep, that is 100% true. Now only if I didnt lose the damn link that had hte movie on it.

thrasher
02-10-2003, 11:31 PM
yeah, the revised intake is called variable valve timing, which maximizes power at any speed, and is aided by a similar system in the exhaust. my dad has an I30, and his car in no way feels as strong as mine, at any point in the rpm range. my car rips straight through to redline, and doesn't feel out of breath. i'm not underestimating the vq30, i have spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of one, i know what it can do. i would stake my pink slip on the fact that i could pull on a vq30 anywhere, anytime. my car has a lot more torque and hp available at lower rpm's, a more advanced ecu, and a stronger transmission with more aggressive gearing...which lead to feel confident in saying that professionally driven, a vq35 equipped max or alt will beat a vq30 equipped max

Add your comment to this topic!