Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Maintenance

Zaith
08-12-2007, 12:31 AM
I have just bought my self a 2000 cavalier Z24 It has 135,000Kms on it. It's in great shape. Im just wondering what are some good things to do once it starts getting up there in miles.

I want to get the timing chain done. Get the body undercoated before winter.
Also when turning far left or right then back it will make a sorta small thunking noise which sounds like its coming from the passenger side front strut. does it need greasing or replacing?

And I have been browseing the stickys- but do people have a prefered air intake?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for the answers

Zaith
08-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Any one?

Dr.Mambo666
08-14-2007, 05:57 AM
what i did when i got my car( same year but i have the 2.2l) is i changed the oil+filter, changed the tranny fluid with b&m performace fluid and the filter, changed the fuel filter, the spark plugs and wires and got a cold air intake to replace the stock 1 or u can just repalce the filter( i suggest the K&N filter little pricier but u only have to clean it not replace it every so often) I did the brakes front to back. Drained to radiator fluid. Drained the brake fluid. As for the stut if your car has 135,000 i suggest replacing them seeing as they are probabley worn from the high milage.(If you have the money you can realace the shocks 2) And when u coat the bottom make sure u get the big peices of rust off,sand it down then coat it with rustolem rust converter. It will turn the rust chemicly into a hard paintable sufance. Otherwise youll be waisting you time(Iv'e made that mistake its eaiser to do it all the 1st time). Well i hope that helps good luck

Dr.Mambo666
08-14-2007, 06:05 AM
O and ass for the intake they pretty much all work the same they are just shaped diferantly. the short ram intake will give you a tiny bit better throttle respose thatn a cold air because it has shorter piping(Thus names short ram) But usually sits within the engine bay(hotter let dense air) And a cold air usually sits in the fender well where the colder dense air it (Colder denser air meens more air can fit in the combustion chamber which is a good thing) Everbody hase there own preferance and says this 1 is better than that 1 but overall they all do the same damn thing no matter what ne1 says. I personlly have an AEM cold air intake. I went with them because they look good and come in a variety of colors(i have a blue 1 matches the racing stipes on my car that whay i got it) Hope this answered your questions.

Add your comment to this topic!