Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Ecotec motor-Timing belt?

hink123321
05-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Just got done test driving a 2004 Cavalier coupe. Mileage is 38,000 miles and the car has been very well taken care of. The reason for looking for a car is my wife's commute is 75 miles and she is driving a GMC Envoy that get's 16mpg. It would be nice if we could almost double her mileage with the Cavalier Her commute is 100% interstate driving. Having owned a Dodge Neon a few years back I was quite impressed with the Cavaliers 2.2 Ecotec motor. I have 2 questions. Does the 2.2 have a timing belt or timing chain? I seemed to have read somewhere where it has the chain and never needs replacing. I could be wrong. 2nd question is about the automatic transmission that comes in the Cavalier. According to the owners manual there is no dipstick so that must mean it's a sealed unit. So is this a good thing about the transmission? According to her type of driving(not severe)you should never need to change the ATF fluid and filter? Thanks for your replies!

millrtime
05-30-2007, 09:23 PM
yes, the ecotec has a timing chain, not belt. therefore, it may not be "indestructible" it has a far less chance of breaking than a belt. and as far as i am aware the 4speed auto is a completely sealed unit. i dont know about not changing the fluid and what not, but i would change it at 90k, regardless if its sealed or not.
cav's are great cars and def get good gas mileage. i average 30mpg per tank, depending on how much highway i see, it could go up. they are cheap to buy and operate, but be careful of the resale value, we get shafted once they go for sale. good luck and happy hunting.

z24forlife
05-30-2007, 09:34 PM
we get shafted once they go for sale. good luck and happy hunting.

omg that is so true...lol :rofl:

Add your comment to this topic!