Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 cavalier

knuckle ears
04-28-2007, 04:34 PM
88 Cavalier, 2.8 doesnt idle well and has overheated. Got the codes off and it is code 14. Engine coolant temperature sensor shorted.
can you tell me where this bugger is. no clue.

muff34
04-28-2007, 09:02 PM
look on the thrmostat hosing if there are two sensors,Look for the one that is yel and blk that will be it .Be careful not to ground it as it can damage computer according to haynes manual

KnuckleEarsSon
04-30-2007, 10:56 AM
well as an update to the original question, found the Sensor, and replaced. very simple job, but after doing so. drove the car home from my fathers. (knucleEars) and after about 15-20 minutes of driving the car began to blow white smoke, after that had happened it boiled over in my driveway. i had recently had this care over heated while in a drive through getting an icecream :banghead: . and noticed that it wasnt getting any coolant, did the logical thing to just take the thermostat out. a few days later bought a new one and replaced it. all seemed ok until a warm day. after replacing the sensor it over heated again. now it constantly blows white smoke, and over heats after about 15-20 minutes. i checked to see if i was getting proper ciculation through the rad hoses and such, and all seemed to be ok. hose to the engine bulked up and was nice and hard, coolant was flowing, but car still overheated. this is my girlfriends car, and now she has no way to work..and we live together so when she aint happy NO ONES HAPPY. lol :screwy: please help me out guys, anything would be appreciated.

Lances133
04-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Not alot of people on here have second gen. cavs, you might wanna try www.v6z24.com for more help

jakegday
04-30-2007, 01:01 PM
overheating and white smoke, sounds like a head gasket

how shitty does your oil look?

knuckle ears
05-06-2007, 06:53 PM
overheating and white smoke, sounds like a head gasket

how shitty does your oil look?

Update:

Removed rad fan and tested with battery charger. fan worked. Located fan relay and took apart. found relay full of rusty shale. Tested relay with battery charger and relay operated. cleaned contacts on relay and reinstalled. Ran engine for 20 minutes and rad fan now comes on. Ran engine for 30 minutes and rad fan came on two more times.

( Found engine crankcase over filled approx 4 litres, 15 cm over the full mark. The pistons were getting a full bath of oil. dumped oil and refilled to full mark. Engine runs good and no more smoke or overheating.)( Smoly Hokes)

Thanks for everyones help.

Add your comment to this topic!