Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need trunk release help??

JStumpalump150
02-23-2007, 10:34 PM
i thought this up today and was needing some help. so the trunk releases when you push the button on the remote by sending an electric current to the poper through a black/white wire. so what i was thinking was to just put a button in the car on the dash(cuz i already have one there from having nitrous in the car)and wire it so that when i push it, it will send a current to the black/white wire thus poping the trunk.

this is a drawing i made to show what i mean......its kinda hard not to laugh
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/JStumpalump150/cardash-1.jpg

so where do i connect the problem wire? i think the trunk is positive so i need a constant positive source to connect to so i can push the button when the car is on and off and it will pop the trunk.

i want to do this because the only way to open the trunk is to turn the car off and use the remote or turn the car off and use the key, either way you turn the car off and this becomes a problem when someone needs in the trunk and the car is on. and the 95-99 cavys did not come with a trunk release in the car for some stupid reason.

so what is a good connection to tap into that will give me the power to pop the trunk?

i3o2Matt
02-23-2007, 11:23 PM
i would say you could tap into the cig. lighter circuit...

they might not have power trunk release, but my 98 at least has manual trunk release...next to the driver's seat...i'm pretty sure anyway (my old car did and i'm too tired to go outside and double check...i never go into my trunk anyway)

JStumpalump150
02-24-2007, 08:31 AM
mine has no manual one either, but i was thinking the cig lighter too cuz its right next to my button and easy to get to.

JStumpalump150
02-24-2007, 10:21 AM
i got it to work, and i tapped into the dome lights with one of those 2 fuses in one slot adapter things and it works. i will post something later to show how to do this if anyone is interested. its about a 45minute job and its not hard to do.

muff34
02-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Good Job ,as long as it doesn`t send something else into a tizzy. May do that with my `00 Sunfire as it is a PITA using the key all the time. Did you tie your new power wire into the black or white wire in trunk. Spoiled I guess just reaching into the glove box to pop it ......lol

JStumpalump150
02-24-2007, 05:53 PM
this is what i used for power
http://www.anythinggps.com/browseproducts/ATC-Add-A-Circuit-Fuse-Tap-System---10-Pack.html
(oh, and this is not a $114 part, lol, its more like $4. i think that might be a typo)

i used this to tap into the dome lighting fuse in my car since that is on when the car is on and off, and it basicly makes one fuse spot hold two fuses and it has a wire that you just plug into and crimp down for power.

i used a momentary push button and and connected the power wire to one side and the other side was connected to the black/white wire in the trunk.so when i push it, it will complete the curcuit and power the trunk popper and when i let go of the button it will release to popper from the open state.

if you guys need more info let me know

JStumpalump150
02-24-2007, 05:59 PM
an updated drawing, lol
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/JStumpalump150/cardash2.jpg

Derk_eliso
02-24-2007, 06:16 PM
neat... mine has a manual trunk popper and it's a 99, so I dunno why yours doesn't...that's weird...

JStumpalump150
02-24-2007, 06:34 PM
i think it might be because my car has power windows locks and trunk. derk, your car has manual everything doesn't it? i dont think it is even posible to have a manual trunk release on my car since it is all powered.

Derk_eliso
02-24-2007, 06:37 PM
sure it is, lol. hey have you ever heard of ohiocustomz.com? i got on there the other day and joined up, kinda cool, but nearly as cool as AF :) but a bunch of guys from like columbus and what not, they have a J-body section there to check out for help too... I've asked both forums about the turbo thing and they both give about same answers. although AF is still my home, cuz I'm the new guy there... f that, lol

JStumpalump150
02-25-2007, 05:26 PM
here is a video of how i wired it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOfmpAncBAo

and im not sure why but by the end of the video the sound doesn't match up with the video, so you hear the trunk pop like 2 seconds after i push the button.

JStumpalump150
02-26-2007, 08:28 AM
i checked out that forum and they are talking about a bash so i think that would be sweet to go to cuz it would be here in ohio

Derk_eliso
02-26-2007, 09:50 AM
yeah i know, I'd be there in like a heartbeat...

JaysZ24
02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey thanks so much JStumpalump150 i have been wanting to do this to my car for a long time now but haven't really wanted to try to find out how when its so cold outside. But when it gets alittle warmer out i am gonna do the same thing as u but put the button in the center console or glove box mabye even in the ash tray since i don't use it anyway

JStumpalump150
02-26-2007, 04:23 PM
yeah, the dash isnt the first place i would have put the button but it was already there so i used it along with the green light. and good luck with this mod, its pretty easy, the hardest part was taking the dash off so i could get the wires fed to the button and light, but if you are putting it in the console or glove box you shouldn't have that problem.

footballguy
02-28-2007, 02:29 AM
I have an 03 and mine is under the steering wheel. You could probably go to the junk yard and just pull the parts, off a newer model. I don't see why they wouldn't line up, but I could be wrong about that. Still wouldn't hurt to look into it.

JaysZ24
04-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I did this today to my car and it works but i used the Radio Fuse what is a fuse i can use that i do not have to have my keys in the car ignition

muff34
05-01-2007, 02:05 AM
just put an inline fuse in it

JStumpalump150
05-01-2007, 02:50 PM
i used a 2 in one fuse like this one and plug it into the dome lights fuse cuz these work with and without the key and also when the car is running. i did this and had no problems. http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/452713/1424

JaysZ24
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Ya i did use that 2 in one link and i used the radio fuse did u use the one labeled INT LAMP?

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7471/96003ui.jpg

I have the best spot for my switch. I put it in the glove box in where there is a compartment in the door itself im guessing its for cleanx, but its sweet no one would ever know its there

JStumpalump150
05-02-2007, 01:41 PM
yeah, int lamp is the one. and you may want to use a 12.5 or 15 fuse in the trunk release spot cuz my 10 was blowing out every couple times i used the button. but the 15 has been working for me. but keep the 10 in the int lamp spot.

JaysZ24
05-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Ya i have a 10 in both spots now i had a 5 n blew it but the 10 is working fine my dad was looking at it n tells me i need a new switch cause mine can click n stay on. I really don't want to take my glove box all apart again n change that but i guess its better than a dead battery. Well im really happy i found a way to open the trunk with the car running Thanks alot I owe u one

JStumpalump150
05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
you must have a 2 postion switch, so when you push it once it comes on and when you push it again it goes off. that is what i originaly had but i changed it to a momentary push switch so that when i push it is comes on and when i let go it goes off. they are very cheap and can be found at radio shack.

Add your comment to this topic!