Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 gauge cluster

chevyguy93
03-14-2006, 07:51 PM
K. i got a 93 cavy and the gauge cluster is just the basic. speed, coolant temp, and gas. I was at the auto scap yard the other day and found a cavy, same year with a cluster that has a tachometer, and a few extra temps such as oil, etc. Are they interchangable? If i were to take it and put it in my cavy, will all the gauges work properly?

94VL
03-18-2006, 04:22 PM
For one thing a 93 Cavalier has a 2.2 engine,not the OHC engine 2.0 used in the Sunbird.The tach cluster was designed for 6 cylinder models,so the tach wouldnt read correctly on a 4.Besides,none of the additional circuits are present behind the cluster on VLs,so just dropping in an RS/Z24 cluster wont work.You would need to gut the whole wiring harness for the RS/Z24 one and get an electronics wiz to convert the 6 cyl tach to 4 cyl operation.

chevyguy93
03-18-2006, 07:08 PM
For one thing a 93 Cavalier has a 2.2 engine,not the OHC engine 2.0 used in the Sunbird.The tach cluster was designed for 6 cylinder models,so the tach wouldnt read correctly on a 4.Besides,none of the additional circuits are present behind the cluster on VLs,so just dropping in an RS/Z24 cluster wont work.You would need to gut the whole wiring harness for the RS/Z24 one and get an electronics wiz to convert the 6 cyl tach to 4 cyl operation.

first of all, im not talking about a sunbird. the car it is in is Also a 2.2 4cyl automatic cavalier. and so the reason why i am asking this is because i have read people having success with this on newer cavaliers.

Add your comment to this topic!