Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant problem as always

airwave_assassin
02-06-2006, 09:05 AM
i've looked everywhere on my car to see where the coolant is leaking from. and i've noticed that my coolant resevoir is whats leaking. has anybody heard of this happening? i want to say its the cap not sealing properly. I'm about 85% sure its teh cap, but i cant actually see water coming from it. but i can see the water dripping off the bottom of the resevoir. and its wet on top of the resevoir. any help would be awesome
oh and my low coolant light wont turn off even when i fill it completely with water.
thanks in advance

Cavalier2000
02-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Reset your computer for the light and maybe replace the cap that could cause it. You could also take the tank out and test to see if it is leaking

airwave_assassin
02-06-2006, 12:35 PM
how would i go about testing it? just pull it out and fill it with water? I think it needs to be pressure tested because it never leaks when its just sitting there, only when i've been driving a while and the water begins to heat up. so i'm thinking a small crack???

Cavalier2000
02-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Try taking it out and testing it with hot water from the tap and then hotter water that you cook on the stove. You could also when the tank is at room temp spray some clear coat over it. not too much to make a mess but enough to maybe seal it

airwave_assassin
02-06-2006, 05:10 PM
thats actually a really good idea with the hot water. not too sure about the clear coat though. i'll see what happens. thanks

Cavalier2000
02-07-2006, 09:45 AM
it's kinda of a cheap fix. seen it work before but not for all people.

airwave_assassin
02-07-2006, 05:55 PM
is the resevoir a common place for a leak? i've never heard of anyone with this problem. i know its not hard to fix or anything but still...

Cavalier2000
02-08-2006, 10:00 AM
With cavalier's everything is common lol the main common place for a leak in the Thermy housing.

muff34
02-11-2006, 03:18 PM
i've looked everywhere on my car to see where the coolant is leaking from. and i've noticed that my coolant resevoir is whats leaking. has anybody heard of this happening? i want to say its the cap not sealing properly. I'm about 85% sure its teh cap, but i cant actually see water coming from it. but i can see the water dripping off the bottom of the resevoir. and its wet on top of the resevoir. any help would be awesome
oh and my low coolant light wont turn off even when i fill it completely with water.
thanks in advancewhat year of car ? replace the cap . low coolant light sensor is likely sticking .Give it a rap and see if light goes out ,if not then replace it also.

exalteduser
02-11-2006, 03:41 PM
mine had a crack in the tank along the seam look on the underside

airwave_assassin
02-11-2006, 11:27 PM
i just replaced the cap (3 bux) and flushed the system
so far no problems. i'm pretty sure it was the cap because now after driving when i look at it the resevoir doesnt have water on it. so all seems well. thats the last thing that i would think would screw up, but i guess all is fair game on the cavy's cooling system.
thanks for the help

Add your comment to this topic!