Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cusotm Intake

CBFryman
01-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Yes, i said it, it makes sence to me. but i need some ideas/Feed back on my ideas.

1st of all i am going to need to relocate my MAF further down the intake.

Why you ask? cone filters use oil to help filter, this oil comes off in a fine (very fine) mist, the further away the MAF is from the filter the more this oil builds up around the walls of the intake instead of the wires on the MAF causing bad feed back, incorrect readings, and even a ruiend MAF.

Here are my ideas.

1.) Using the stock intake as a mold, stretching flece over it, and glassign the fleece, removing the stock form the inside (may want to get an extra incase this doesnt work) and then building upt and smoothing the inside, relocating the MAF to just before the TB.

2.) Using PVC to build it (elbows and all) and then using fleece to smooth the outside and make it more cosmetically pleasing. Move the MAF to just after the bend.

3.) Using Exaust Tubing, same as above, only then wrapping the metal with 1/8th copper tubing on the outside, glassing over it, and essencially making this my own CO2 Cooled intake (works like nitrous, doesnt do much for NA engines, 10hp gain tops, however it works wonders on intercoolers) basically when i want to chill my intake tube i will crack open a 2lb co2 bottle and let CO2 gas flow through the copper coil and out down below my truck.

any other ideas? Im going to build a head sheild as well, filter will go where the stock air box is right now.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/CBFryman2/Picture536.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/CBFryman2/Picture537.jpg

Why go though all the money/hassle of this? well the only people that make intake for my truck is K&N, they dont relocate the MAF, it caost over $200, and is flat black plastic. My engine bay isnt exactly eye candy but a little better finish woudl be nice. their heat shild also sucks from what ive read.

TheSilentChamber
01-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Just use a non oiled filter. Their are plenty on the market that flow as well as K&N and filter just as good but do not use oil. But if you insist on doing it, build it out of metal. Your fiberglass idea will not work the way you are discribing it. PVC will also release fumes and get soft at high tempatures so I would not advise that either.

bigirb2002
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
why not put bondo around the tubing?an get a can of air from radioshack turn it upside down an have it blow cool air into the intake
no but seriously in the end what do u want your truck to look like. what are your goals.big rims,system ,tint. or lowrider fast all custom with naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwz. or jacked up 10 inched with big tires an a v8 hemi baby wooooooooooooooooot.

CBFryman
01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
umm riiiigght Bigirb... my CO2 idea is nothing like spraying air into the intake (though that was sarcastic, i hope).

Anyway, Every filter ive found for a decent price has been oiled. Do you know of where i can get a non oiled filter for less than a K&N or Kool Blue?

If i wanted to make it look liek the K&N i coudl take a foam mold of thearea and build fiberglas tube from scratch that has the molds in it on the fan shroud and all.

Also, didnt we determine before that PVC was fine because it doenst start outgassing untill like 300 degrees?

Carbon Fibre
06-17-2006, 10:21 PM
The PVC is WAY too far away to heat up to 300. Co2 is an expensive trick.
Fleece? Never herd of it in my 'glass experience. TSC? WTF!
Put yer plumbing away from heat sources and pvc will work better than flexpipe or that crappy ribbed deal U have.

Add your comment to this topic!