Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

alignment?

daveid
11-04-2005, 06:31 PM
whats the difference between a standard alignment, thrust alignment and 4 wheel alignment?

thanx
david

curtis73
11-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Standard is the term sometimes used as two-wheel alignment. Thrust alignment is where they align the front only, but use the rears as reference. Four wheel is where they align all four wheels.

Most RWD solid axle cars can get by with just a standard or two wheel since nothing is adjustable on the rears. RWD solid axle cars which have been in a wreck might benefit from a thrust alignment since the rear axle might not be straight with the centerline of the car. A four-wheel alignment should be used on cars with an adjustable independent rear suspension.

Almost all of today's alignment machines are at least a thrust-style since they use lasers and IR to set the front. Their only reference they get to set the front is the signal they get from the rear wheel reflectors. I have seen some shops still use the old-fashioned mechanical gauges and levels to set front alignment which would just be a standard or two wheel. That's what I use at home since all of my cars are RWD solid axle.

CBFryman
11-04-2005, 06:55 PM
while on the subject of alignment

How much would raising the front of my truck 1 1/2" via torchen bars throw my caster/camber out of alignment?

daveid
11-04-2005, 07:40 PM
what would be recommended for front wheel drive?

thanx
david

curtis73
11-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Depends. Solid rear axle or independent? If its independent, do a 4 wheel. If its a solid axle, do a thrust.

daveid
11-04-2005, 09:11 PM
its an old 86 honda accord so i think solid axle.
thanx

mazdatech177
11-05-2005, 01:17 PM
on the raising the mazda... its hard to say how much it would throw your angles off. but im doubting if you can raise it an inch and half with just the torsion bars... i know i cranked on one a good amount to get it up less than a half an inch... not to mention its probably not the safest way to achieve lift

CBFryman
11-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Torsion bars give anywerhe from 1" to 4" of play either way ;)

daveid
11-07-2005, 10:23 PM
ok, i got an alignment but havent checked if that noise is still there, but i was wondering what a camber kit does? they said i need one and that they cant adjust the rear end right now cuz of it or something?

thanx
david

curtis73
11-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Sounds like its been modified or crunched. Neither is necessarily a bad thing, but factory alignment specs are adjustable within a degree or so. Requiring a camber kit means that its fallen at least 2 or 3 degrees out of whack.

A camber kit allows for adjusting camber when you want to correct for modifications (lowering springs or the like) Or if you want to adjust camber for race handling.

Ask them what the rear camber is and post it here. We'll tell you if its really too far out or if they're trying to sell you a kit.

daveid
11-08-2005, 12:48 AM
I think he said its a t 1.1 degree or something, i dont think hes lieing but i just had never had an alignment before nor ever heard of that part.

thanx
david

curtis73
11-08-2005, 01:20 AM
I might suggest trying a set of tires at the 1.1 setting. That's not way off the deep end. After 5000 miles you might start noticing abnormal tire wear, like the inside tread is going faster than the rest, or you're getting cupping in the tread. If that's the case you might want to invest in the camber kit. Its one of those things where you might have to replace your tires a couple thousand sooner, but over the years you might find that it won't save you any money to get the kit.

Pay close attention to tire wear and handling, particularly in the wet. If both of those are acceptable, 1.1 degree is not way off the charts and I would skip the camber kit. If you notice that the treadwear and handling are unacceptable, start thinking about the kit. The kit is probably available from Honda as an offset bushing. The parts themselves aren't too expensive, but the installation is a pain = costly.

Do the research on buying the parts and having them installed vs your tire wear over the next 5000 and make a decision from there. For now, the 1.1 is safe at least; you won't damage anything by driving it, so no rush.

daveid
11-08-2005, 02:30 PM
thanx for the info curtis. thats helps. I took it to les schwab and there quote is acually $77 which isnt that bad to me. 42 for the part and 32 for the labor. but ill see about the tire, cuz they guy there said he didnt see any abnormal wear either.

thanx again,
david

Add your comment to this topic!