Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How can you safely clean the engine compartment?

Fredrick_NP
10-24-2005, 07:07 PM
I looked under the hood my Mom's Pontiac Vibe, and was disapointed with how ... ugly and dirty it was. I pay to get the car wash with the that shoots water underneath the car, but I guess that doesnt do much. How can I clean under the hood and make sure im not damaging anything.

This is a picture of what it should look like. http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/5923/vibeengine3jv.jpg

The hose thingi (could someone explain what that is) in the square section is very dirty and looks like dirt has been baked on... its almost a dark maroonish color.

The arrow points to some metal thing with a bunch of small metal tubes leading into it. The very rusty and looks like it could break at any moment. Also the various part in the circle area are rusting quite a bit.

How do I clean all that stuff safely? Also is there a way to prevent rust? Its only a 2003, but I live in NY with a bunch of salt on the roads.

MagicRat
10-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Generally cleaning under the hood is not necessary. Lots of cars that are otherwise spotless are a bit dirty under there.
Do NOT use a high prerssure water cleaning wand. Some people do and they are either washing older cars with fewer electronics or know exactly what to clean and what seneitive electronic components to stay away from.

IMO use a spray can of engine de-greaser, fir grease build up areas only. For the rest of the engine compartment, use soapy water and several soft brushes of various sizes, a tooth brush is great for the nooks and crannies.
Then just gently scrup away. Be careful around electronic components and aviod getting water around the electrical connectors, fuse box, etc.
Dry things with soft cotton rags (old T-shirts are great.)

As for rust, you can stop it by spraying the metal lines with some WD40. If you want to make it beautiful again, polish them with some fine grit emery cloth (180-220 grit) cut into long, thin (1 inch wide ) strips. Then paint the lines with a little spray can of clear laquer to preserve the 'polished metal' appearance.

Fredrick_NP
10-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Awesome...thx. Thats exactly what I needed to know.

Andydg
10-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Carefull to not use the engine degreaser on any painted surfaces though, a friend of mine did that and whiped it off and got a lot of paint on the rag. I would recomend Simple Green. It cuts through oil and grease well, you can use it on painted surfaces without worrying too much, and I believe it's biodegradable.

Fredrick_NP
10-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Wait, I have another question. You said "fine grit emery cloth (180-220 grit)"

3M says 180 is coarse for the emery cloth. It also says the "Fine" is 320. Is 180 coarse or is it just coarse compared to other "emery" sheets?

AudioGuy93DelSol
10-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Simple Green is God

MagicRat
10-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Wait, I have another question. You said "fine grit emery cloth (180-220 grit)"

3M says 180 is coarse for the emery cloth. It also says the "Fine" is 320. Is 180 coarse or is it just coarse compared to other "emery" sheets?
180-220 is 'fine' compared with regular sandpaper.
In the emery world, its pretty coarse. But 180-220 is excellent for removing modest amounts of rust and doing a bit of polishing.

BTW Simple Green is great, I was trying to remember the name of that stuff when I made my initial post.

dugie6551
10-31-2005, 07:31 AM
I have used tire foam spray when I finish cleaning the engine bay. Spray it all over the engine, hoses, etc. Let it work !!!!

I did this at car shows ... after washing and cleaning. It makes everyone nice and shiny and I have not had any problems.

Add your comment to this topic!