Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ram air benefit?

bawolvesfan
10-21-2005, 08:33 PM
hey ive got a taurus gt(modified gl) and i was wondering if it would be more beneficial to put a cone filter in my fender well or if it would be more useful to run tubing from my stock air box with a k&n as a ram air.
i have a functional hood scoop as well but i dont think i want to run my air intake there cuz of water problems. so wat do u guys think?

sry but ram air is kinda like forced induction right?

drdisque
10-21-2005, 09:48 PM
ram air is not forced induction, its just a gimmicky way to say cold air intake. You would have to be driving well over 100 mph to come close to "compressing" any air.

beyondloadedSE
10-21-2005, 10:04 PM
ram air system like the pontiac trans am and grand am dont really "ram" or force more air into the engine. Its just a way to draw colder air.

bawolvesfan
10-21-2005, 11:33 PM
ok, that makes sense, but is the answer ram air and current box and filter, or cone filter in fender?

Polygon
10-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Ram air is not a form of forced induction.

Having a cone filter in your fender is just as good.

dogbreath077
10-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Put the aftermarket filter in the stock air box. The stock airbox is designed to draw cold air. If you draw underhood air, you lose horsepower due to the temperature of the air 300F. If you put the filter inside the fenderwell, then you get a lot of dirt on the filter.

Black Lotus
10-22-2005, 09:14 PM
As an aside---
Ram air is a form of forced induction, but it's at an extremely low level of effectivness. The F1 cars of the early to mid seventies used high airboxes to ram air into the intakes. It is so difficult to implement a genuine ram air system, and the speeds required are so high to make it work, that it's best to just shoot for cold air and leave it at that.

CBFryman
10-23-2005, 12:42 PM
a well designed ram air can, however, remove vacume from the intake manifold.

curtis73
10-23-2005, 04:07 PM
a well designed ram air can, however, remove vacume from the intake manifold.

Yeah, but only at WOT and 150 mph. There is always vacuum in the manifold at less than WOT.

kachok25
12-18-2005, 03:17 AM
I read a figure once that a properly set up ram air induction only increases air pressure by 1-2% at 100mph that figure makes it virtualy non-existent (about .15-.3psi) even at excessive highway speeds unless you are doing 200mph on the autoban, and even then would not be a huge difference 4-8% and that is only if you have a perfectly setup airbox. If you really want forced induction stick with a turbo or supercharger.

Reed
12-18-2005, 11:30 AM
we had a VERY in-depth thread about whether or not certain things are froced induction. it was my opinion that unless it was mechanical it wasnt forced induction. I dont want to bring that back or start it over in here but it might help you decide if you think ram air is forced induction if you can find it.

beef_bourito
12-18-2005, 11:49 AM
ram air can help remove some of the vacuum in the intake. whether or not it's worth even 1 hp is dependent on speed and the setup.

At the very least you'll have a cold air intake if you go the ram air way and you can tell your buddies that you have a working ram air hood.

kachok25
12-18-2005, 01:28 PM
It look prety darn cool that is the absolute best thing about it.

Add your comment to this topic!