Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

After market stereo wont fit!

adblink182
10-15-2005, 05:10 PM
my girlfriend just got a 1992 cav, great shape, it was her grandmothers for a million years....

now I installed her new stereo, it works and everything, but it sticks out at LEAST 2-3 inches...there just isnt enough space back there! theres a soild piece of steel....

what gives? arent all decks standard "length" when it comes to the backend of it?

does this mean you cant put an aftermarket stereo in one? theres gotta be a way!

lilrogue78
10-15-2005, 07:03 PM
you need to get a radio bezel that will extend the radio out that far if you get that it will work and look perfect for ya

adblink182
10-16-2005, 11:06 PM
hmmm interesting...never heard (or seen) of those before....they cant cost more then the mounting bracket can they?

4dr92cavi4cyl
10-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Where did you get your mounting kit? You said mounting bracket, that makes me think you bolted it in using some kind of metal bracket.

When I had my deck installed (before I DIY'd) they had to cut out some peice of plastic on the right side inside the mounting area. As far as I know, all after market decks are made to the same DIN size specs, except for double-DIN, which is much taller. So if you get an actual mounting kit from Wal-mart ($15) to fit your car it should fit.

adblink182
10-17-2005, 02:45 PM
i got it from future shop. its a plastic frame like thing, screws into the 2 holes that were used for the stock stereo. but when you slide the deck in, it hits the back of the "stereo area" lol whatever its called

4dr92cavi4cyl
10-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Like I said, when I had my deck installed they had to cut out some peice of plastic on the right side, inside the mounting area/console.

chevboy
10-18-2005, 06:44 AM
you might be able to unbolt the steel plate but i would at least cut it at my shop so that the deck can sit as far back as possible and look as factory as possible who wants a bunch of plastic??? it will just take a little time and alot of patience

airwave_assassin
10-19-2005, 12:13 PM
could be the wireing harness. i know when i put mine in it was a hassle. but it actually fit fine in the dash. jsut a problem getting it to lock in there with all teh wires. if i was you i'd start cutting. who cares what it looks like back there nobody can see it.

Add your comment to this topic!