Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

question about my a/c

DannMann99
10-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Okay, a while back i was looking for an answer to a question of mine on my ac, i think ive finally found it though i just need to see what you all think.
I had this problem where my engine was making this rattling kind of noise when my a/c was not turned on. once i turned it on though it would go away. I wasnt sure if it was my a/c or not but now im pretty sure it is.
I found this at some website: "In MOST cases when a noise is heard when the A/C compressor is NOT engaged this would indicate a possible bearing problem OR it can also be caused by an weathered, craked or weak belt. "
(my belt is fine though)

So my question is this: Does this sound right? Also, can i just take my belt off the a/c compressor? And if it is the compressor making the noise, wouldnt the noise stop if i took the belt off that pulley? Also, taking it off like that to test it wouldnt cause and problems would it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks again for the help

-Daniel D.M.

mike2004tct
10-08-2005, 03:09 PM
So my question is this: Does this sound right? Also, can i just take my belt off the a/c compressor? And if it is the compressor making the noise, wouldnt the noise stop if i took the belt off that pulley? Also, taking it off like that to test it wouldnt cause and problems would it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks again for the help

-Daniel D.M.
You can by-pass the compressor, but you'll need a different belt (smaller) in order to do it. You can get it at any parts store, just ask for one that fits your engine without A/C.

Add your comment to this topic!