Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Re: 2002 Cavalier LS with 2.4L engine....buyback or not?

srhonda61
09-24-2005, 02:00 PM
I need some educated opinions...

I'm in Canada and I have a silver 2002 Cavalier LS with a 2.4L engine. I have to make a decision by the beginning of November on whether or not to buy it or give it back. The lease is up. It's got 48,000 km on it. It's pretty well loaded with upgraded upholstery, a/c, power locks and windows, remote keyless entry, cruise control, tilt steering, spoiler and CD player and tape deck. I've done my routine oil changes and it's been reliable to date. However, I don't know much about cars and I've heard different opinions from people. I'm a single mom on a limited budget and I don't want to go crazy on a car purchase but I don't want to ask for trouble either.

So, will this car last me for a reasonable period of time without major problems? Does anybody know the difference between the 2.2L and the 2.4L engine on reliability over time?

The buyback cost is about $8400.00 Canadian plus taxes and whatever other applicable fees that they hit me with.

So? Whaddya think? Looking forward to as many responses as possible, without getting me more mixed up than I already feel. Thanx.

cavy22
09-29-2005, 07:50 PM
hey keep the car i personally own a 01 2.2 and it is wonderfull to me my sister owns a 97 2.2 and she kloves it my dad owns a 04 2.2 and he needless to say loves it. cavaliers, despite the rap they take for being economy/buy-it-once-throw-it-away type deals, are great cars and between my dads car my car and my sisters we have put over 250,000 miles on cavaliers and they have done nothing but good. as for your question regarding the 2.2 versus the 2.4 well the 2.2 gets better gas milage but the 2.4 gets more horsepower. thats the trade off you make when it comes to economy v. speed if you go fast you dont go far. but even so with the 2.4 you should be getting around 23 MPG or whatever that is in canadian. both the 2.2 and the 2.4 are extreemly reliable engines right now i have over 100,000 MILES not kilometers on my engine and she runs like a charm. if you only have 48 thousand kilometers on your car that is somthing like 25-30 somthing thousand miles that engine will last you at least 100,000 MILES (give or take it depends on your personal driving habits) well hope all that was helpful.

faroutguy
09-29-2005, 10:26 PM
my 96 2.2 is at almost 310000 km, and surprisngly is still running great, mind things are starting to wear and i want to replace things but no problems so far, so that just tells you the possibility of how many kms your car will last you, id probably take it if you can swing it, mines also a manual transmission and thats mostly what i have to replace right now, no engine problems so if yours is automatic even better, just something to think about

Young Chuck D
10-02-2005, 09:00 PM
a single mother u say?

cdru
10-02-2005, 11:59 PM
The buyback is fair. You probably could find a similar car elsewhere cheaper, but you also could find it for more. So I'd say it's an average price. If you are happy with it then there isn't a reason why you should get rid of it. Obviously it will be going off warranty before too long and Murphy's law says that is when everything will break. :) But take care of it performing maintenance before things become problems and your car will last you a long time.

Project_Cav
10-03-2005, 06:20 PM
she sounds like a keeper to me...personally i would have put her on finance as to avoid this kinda discussion...after finance term is done..cars paid and still yours...i guess i just look at it as pay off a house and own it to sell and make money back or rent an appartment and when you leave you leave with empty pockets IMO tho

but regardless...it really is a keeper..id stick with it..nothing better then a dependable car that you owe no money on after its paid off

Add your comment to this topic!