Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

can i do this?

turbojusty
09-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for some answers.
I have a '93 Ford Probe GT. I want to take the engine out and make a 4x4 rockcrawler/bush buggy.

CAN I MOUNT THAT ENGINE TO A REAR WHEEL DRIVE TYPE TRANNY? LIKE OUT OF A MAZDA PICK UP OR FORD RANGER? AND NOT A 4X4 TRANNY, JUST A REAR WHEEL.

FABRICATION IS OF NO ISSUE, IF SOME THING HAS TO BE MADE UP TO MATE THE 2 TOGETHER, IT WILL BE MADE. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF ITS POSSIBLE THAT IT WILL ACTUALLY WORK.

I am just doing some 'pre build research' before I pull the engine out of the car.

thanx
mike

TheSilentChamber
09-24-2005, 04:48 AM
You'll need an adapter plate and such, but yes its possable.

MaxR
09-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Hello
Anything's possible when you put your mind to it, right? Do you think that perhaps a 2.5L KL03 164 hp motor is a little bit weak? I would use a 4X2 4.0L engine and chassis combination either from B Series or Ranger.
Cheers

drdisque
09-28-2005, 10:26 PM
the problem was that the KL series engine in your probe is made to bolt up to a Mazda transmission and both the B-series and Ranger used Ford transmissions.

If you want a 2WD rock crawler, I'd just put the KL in the back and use the stock Mazda tranny and just modify the linkage.

turbojusty
09-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanx for the replies,

as far HP goes, this engine would be enough, this isnt going to be a hardcore crawler, just something to take up north and boot around and do alittle hill climbing.

As far as the 2 wheel drive goes, we've already done it. 2 buggies using suzuki swift engines and tranny and drive axles in the rear. fun, but not enough anymore. We were just going to make a 2 seater dune buggy with this engine and tranny like we did with the swift power, but we realized, not being in cali and having no dunes or big open areas to run legally, its not what we need/want. we want challenging stuff, hills mud bogs and so on. Since i have the probe already and cant just fork out the dough for a jeep and go that route, we want to utilize the probe engine.

Since ford is mazda and mazda is ford, what if i were to use a pre 94 b2000 tranny?...when mazdas were actually mazdas or were the actually fords?

drdisque
09-29-2005, 06:44 PM
yep, for the entire life of the B-series it has used Ford bits.

I did come up with a transmission thats RWD that should bolt up though, unfortunately they're both automatics: The transmission from the Mazda 929 and MPV

turbojusty
10-03-2005, 08:40 PM
ok, i got an MPV coming soon...its a 4 cyl, is that going to be a problem mounting a 6cyl to it? and i will still need to make an adapter plate right?

thanx

jveik
10-03-2005, 11:32 PM
lol drop in a weedeater motor with a chinsy centrifugal clutch and chain drive to a straight up rear axle with no differential. that mofo will be just as fast as any other one when dropped from a plane... by the way, did they make straight sixes that could bolt to your tranny? most straight 6 motors have a buttload of torque which is all you need for slow rock climbing

bushwackerjohn
12-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for some answers.
I have a '93 Ford Probe GT. I want to take the engine out and make a 4x4 rockcrawler/bush buggy.

CAN I MOUNT THAT ENGINE TO A REAR WHEEL DRIVE TYPE TRANNY? LIKE OUT OF A MAZDA PICK UP OR FORD RANGER? AND NOT A 4X4 TRANNY, JUST A REAR WHEEL.

FABRICATION IS OF NO ISSUE, IF SOME THING HAS TO BE MADE UP TO MATE THE 2 TOGETHER, IT WILL BE MADE. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF ITS POSSIBLE THAT IT WILL ACTUALLY WORK.

I am just doing some 'pre build research' before I pull the engine out of the car.

thanx
mike
check out rhino offroad .com thier buggy might inspire u

Add your comment to this topic!