Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Winter rims

bh04
09-18-2005, 11:59 AM
SSo I have my aftermarket wheels and tires on. It will be winter in a few months and snow and all that not cool crap. I was just wondering if it would be better to take them off and put on my factory wheels and tires? Or would it be fine to keep my aftermarket ones on.

Viper_Storm
09-18-2005, 12:10 PM
depends on the tires your running, if your running high performance summer tires on your rims then if it snows and roads get icy and stuff like that, then you wont have any traction at all and will most likely have an accident.

bh04
09-18-2005, 12:20 PM
THey are the Nankang NS 2's

chevboy
09-18-2005, 02:23 PM
if you dont take off your rims they will get all covered in salt and rust and will look like shit by next summer even worse then they do now

Mod'd_Cav
09-18-2005, 02:37 PM
ya dude..just put your originals back on dude...save yourself some money cuz even if they dont look affected by next summer if you keep them on during the winter , you will have eaten away at the outer layer of rim and by the end of the second winter they will be a gold rusted color which will not come off

Classicrocjunkie
09-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Take em off...

bh04
09-18-2005, 09:52 PM
if you dont take off your rims they will get all covered in salt and rust and will look like shit by next summer even worse then they do now

Just exactly what did you mean by that. And I probably will take them off.

Mod'd_Cav
09-19-2005, 02:27 AM
haha...thats what i was thinking about..what kinda dick statement was that...his rims look good man...maybe you should keep your negative pissed cuz hes got better lookin wheels then you'll prolly ever have shit to yourself..just my 2 cents

Viper_Storm
09-19-2005, 05:50 AM
im just wondering what do you do when you have a break upgrade kit and you require 17" or larger rim? how do you go back to stock rim of 14''? and if you try to down grade the brakes only to re upgrade them again in the summer would cost alot. what about powder coated rims? i think i will just powder coat my rims silver and avoid this problem all together (the gold rusted color problem).

Thor06
09-19-2005, 07:03 AM
how do you go back to stock rim of 14''?
You dont. You could swap the old brakes back in, but IMO if you have that much into your car, it probably should get parked in a garage for the winter.

bh04
09-19-2005, 11:47 AM
You dont. You could swap the old brakes back in, but IMO if you have that much into your car, it probably should get parked in a garage for the winter.

I didnt upgrade my brakes.....yet. I plan on putting disk brakes on the rear as well just so it will look and more than likely stop better. Our garage is only a 2 car garage so I will need to like add on or have one built in the back so I can park in a garage.

OH and what does IMO stand for???

cdru
09-19-2005, 11:55 AM
im just wondering what do you do when you have a break upgrade kit and you require 17" or larger rim? how do you go back to stock rim of 14''? and if you try to down grade the brakes only to re upgrade them again in the summer would cost alot. what about powder coated rims? i think i will just powder coat my rims silver and avoid this problem all together (the gold rusted color problem).The easy solution would be to buy a set of (cheaper) rims that fit that you don't care if they get corroded and mount some winter tires (e.g. Bridgestone Blizzaks) on them. Then just swap them out with the seasons.

If you are going to run the same tire year round, just take care of your rims. If they are mag or aluminum wheels, you don't have to worry about rust but other corrosion is an issue. Keep them clean, washing the salt/snow off after driving through the wet sloshy stuff, and keeping them waxed will help keep them looking good.

bh04
09-19-2005, 02:52 PM
haha...thats what i was thinking about..what kinda dick statement was that...his rims look good man...maybe you should keep your negative pissed cuz hes got better lookin wheels then you'll prolly ever have shit to yourself..just
my 2 cents

Thanks for being on my side for that one.

01Cavy
09-19-2005, 05:33 PM
OH and what does IMO stand for???

IMO means In my opinion.

The only good thing to come out of living in Alabama is no snow...no point to remove my rims :biggrin:

bh04
09-19-2005, 06:14 PM
IMO means In my opinion.

The only good thing to come out of living in Alabama is no snow...no point to remove my rims :biggrin:

You suck....Hah, just kidding. But thanks for the heads up on the IMO.

vtecsol
09-19-2005, 07:13 PM
The easy solution would be to buy a set of (cheaper) rims that fit that you don't care if they get corroded and mount some winter tires (e.g. Bridgestone Blizzaks) on them. Then just swap them out with the seasons.

If you are going to run the same tire year round, just take care of your rims. If they are mag or aluminum wheels, you don't have to worry about rust but other corrosion is an issue. Keep them clean, washing the salt/snow off after driving through the wet sloshy stuff, and keeping them waxed will help keep them looking good.
the problem isn't just the condition of the rims. I had a similar problem with my last car. you need thin wheels and tires for winter. thin tires = better winter traction but worse summer traction. two sets of wheels works best.

Viper_Storm
09-19-2005, 09:04 PM
you need thin wheels and tires for winter. thin tires = better winter traction but worse summer traction. two sets of wheels works best.

i am 99.9% sure that is :bs:

actually, im 100% sure that is bs... you need a bigger contact area so you dont slide when you hit a big as patch of ice. who ever told you that was either lying or didnt know what they was talking about.

the wider the tire the more contact area, the more contact you have with the road the more traction you have.

cdru
09-19-2005, 09:41 PM
i am 99.9% sure that is :bs:

actually, im 100% sure that is bs... you need a bigger contact area so you dont slide when you hit a big as patch of ice. who ever told you that was either lying or didnt know what they was talking about.

the wider the tire the more contact area, the more contact you have with the road the more traction you have.Your are correct, if you want to ride on top of the snow. I remember seeing a special on TLC or The Discovery Channel about a group that customized some range rovers to trek across Antartica. They outfitted the car with some massive tires to spread the vehicle load out over a larger area. This allowed a heavy vehicle to "float" on the top of the snow. This was good when you are only traveling 10-15 MPH and don't have to worry about other drivers and stopping quickly.

Most passenger vehicles probably don't see too much driving across conditions like that. With city driving, you want tires that are narrower. Much like with water and hydroplaning, a fatter tire will "plow" into the snow and lift up. The narrower tire, the less it has to compact or push out of the way. So you get better traction as the weight of the car is spread over a narrower area.

Along with being more narrow, they typically are made of a rubber that says flexable in cold weather (high performance tires turn to "hard plastic" in cold weather. They also frequently have siping allowing the tire to flex and grip better.

You can read more about winter tires here (http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=126&currentpage=120). (Disclaimer, Tire Rack obviously has a vested interest in selling you tires...but it's still a decent resource).

chevboy
09-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey I was Kidding But just for that chump iam running 20"Boss Chrome rims on my car not steels not stainless and i just paid a little over 3 grand for em so nicer then i ll ever have eh haha besides i didnt meen anyhting by it i was just trying to make a joke

bh04
09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey I was Kidding But just for that chump iam running 20"Boss Chrome rims on my car not steels not stainless and i just paid a little over 3 grand for em so nicer then i ll ever have eh haha besides i didnt meen anyhting by it i was just trying to make a joke

Can you show some pics? I want to see a picture of a cavalier with some 20's on it. Post a pic or two.

vtecsol
09-20-2005, 08:42 PM
thinner tires are better for winter, because they have less surface area, therefore more pounds per square inch. wider tires do float on snow better, your right, but they also float over ice better. in my opinion its more important to have better traction on ice than snow.

vtecsol
09-20-2005, 08:44 PM
btw, thanks for support, cdru

Chevy4life1985
09-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Yea just get another set of wheels.

vtecsol
09-21-2005, 10:33 PM
and don't listen to viper storm, I've been here 2 days, and I can already tell he's full of shit.

Lvtrucks2000
09-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Read #11 VTECSOL

http://www.aaapa.org/newsinfo_111004.html

Chevy4life1985
09-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Read #11 VTECSOL

http://www.aaapa.org/newsinfo_111004.html
No offense but can u not read? HE clearly said that thinner tires were better for the winter. :loser:

FinchUsed
09-23-2005, 01:15 AM
Yeah I live in Nebraska. I think I will keep the factory LS Sport rims on but clean them off daily. Sure I'll look like a weirdo to the neighbors going out in the friggin freezing weather to clean my rims off but they already hate my family. I swear they seen our ghetto lawn mower when me moved in and said, "Ugh trash... let's hate em!"

Lvtrucks2000
09-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Yeah I live in Nebraska. I think I will keep the factory LS Sport rims on but clean them off daily. Sure I'll look like a weirdo to the neighbors going out in the friggin freezing weather to clean my rims off but they already hate my family. I swear they seen our ghetto lawn mower when me moved in and said, "Ugh trash... let's hate em!"

I just love how people revoleve thier life around image. You lownmower looked trashey so there for you are. I Drive a 94 rust bucket cavalier to work. It has a new engine but looks like crap. Get 35+ to the gallon but people still look and stare

vtecsol
09-23-2005, 04:37 PM
as long as you dont have it raised or anything stupid I dont see why its a big deal. people judge to quickly. I do sometimes too. If they think your trash becuase of your lawnmower then screw them, most of my neighbors have crapy lawnmowers. thats not the right basis for hating someone. sorry, I got carried away. btw, sorry to insult you viperstorm, but you started it. you just say stuff before you research it and dont know, and insult people when they're right.

FinchUsed
09-24-2005, 03:05 AM
Yeah I don't care much for my neighbors anyway. We love our lawnmower. I mean come on, it's got like 3.5 or 4.5 horses. Nice once. All of our neighbors are crazy about their lawns too. Never a day when one isn't mowing. Never. Most of them drive cars that are barely better than ours and we have nothing special. I sealed a deal on a Cavalier this week, an 03 and it'll probably be one of the better lookers in the hood. That'll make up for the lawn mower! :p

Viper_Storm
09-24-2005, 07:36 AM
as long as you dont have it raised or anything stupid I dont see why its a big deal. people judge to quickly. I do sometimes too. If they think your trash becuase of your lawnmower then screw them, most of my neighbors have crapy lawnmowers. thats not the right basis for hating someone. sorry, I got carried away. btw, sorry to insult you viperstorm, but you started it. you just say stuff before you research it and dont know, and insult people when they're right.

im sorry to, i spent most of my time in the camaro section researching camaros and hi performance summer type applications, and all the rims and tires questions no one was ever like 'what about winter?' and when i came over here (i ended up buying a cavalier) and i seen this and then i seen your post and i was quick to call bullshit on something i didnt know, so im sorry for calling bullshit on what was acctually fact. learn something new all the time.

Add your comment to this topic!