Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wheel bearing?

deadBird
07-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Not familiar with the underbelly of the car very much, but I believe that it's the wheel bearing. (What are some other names of this?) When I'm driving I get like a whiring/grinding sound. It sounds like it's coming from the front left wheel. When I turn left, it gets louder. If I turn right, it makes no noise. What could this be, and what are the official names of the parts so I actually know what I'm researching? :loser:

94century
07-06-2005, 10:36 PM
It would be the right front wheel bearing. When you turn right you are taking pressure off the bearing, that is why the noise goes away. It wil probably not come as just wheel bearings, but a hub assembly. I would call an Auto Zone and Advance Auto, or some other chain auto parts stores and see where you will get the best deal (generally NAPA and Carquest are more exspensive than the others so if possible stay away from them, plus I have not had good customer service out of either of them.) Hope this helps

deadBird
07-07-2005, 02:13 PM
What else should I replace in the process? Any gaskets or anything? Someone told me I'll need lots of bearing grease...

94century
07-07-2005, 04:42 PM
If it is a hub, it is just a bolt on replacement no grease needed. If it is seperate bearings, then some good quality high temperatuer wheel bearing grease is needed. You will also need the wheel bearing seal. But again if it is a hub you will not have to do anything but bolt it on.

cujotom
07-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Just to let you know on my 94 i replaced both front wheel bearings a little over a year ago. And i paid $51 plus tax for each one with a 90 day warranty. A week ago my front end started making noise and guess what? Front right wheel bearing. I had a talk with a mechanic i know and he explained to me the parts business has gotten huge over the past years, so you have to be carefull of the money you think your saving. The last bearing i bought cost guess... how does a $121 sound for one ). Big diffrence aint it. You know why? This bearing has a lifetime warranty! See those offshore brands let you save money but the quality just isnt there. dont go cheap on this one...

Classicrocjunkie
07-08-2005, 09:02 PM
search around... i posted a fuck up autozone did online selling timkens for like 49 bucks or somthing each instead of the 79. just print out the page and show that to them. 95-05 should be good.

Mod'd_Cav
07-11-2005, 01:28 PM
why is it that i hear soooo much of this problem and its always the exact same one every time...its always when you turn left does it make the noise and when you turn right it shuts right up ...i myself am having this same problem..shouldnt something like this be a recall..if its always happening to these cars in the same way everytime i would think they would perform a recall to prevent an accident of some sort and then a couple hundred or thousand lawsuits..and that would end them seeing as how i heard GM has already signed up for a bankruptcy policy lol

Classicrocjunkie
07-11-2005, 03:59 PM
no, they all fail over time. Just main reason is that the cavs are is because GM never installed a seal on the back of them with sits on the drive shaft. New hub assembly's will come with them.

94VL
07-11-2005, 07:38 PM
NAPA sells PowerGlide labeled bearings,which are economy priced,Parts Plus sells Parts Plus brand which are economy bearings,Car Quest also sells a home brand bearing,which is also imported.I have heard of rapid failures of all the imported hubs,as with the Chinese sourced brake rotors.If you go econo,make sure you realize they arent the same part as the CRs,or the Raybestos 1st line jobs.They are made to a price,not a quality.

94century
07-12-2005, 01:08 AM
The harder you drive, the more you drive down that curving road, they will wear out quicker than "normal". My 94 Century has 149,000+ miles on it and nary a wheel bearing problem. I had an 89 Olds Calais with 127,000 and both front bearings went out. So, it is just one of those things. Bearing won't just sieze either, unless you keep driving on it.

Add your comment to this topic!