Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help, 1995 cavalier z24 alternator

jimmy 2 times
07-01-2005, 11:55 AM
i just bought this car, and i can not find a shop manual for this car anywhere. My problem is, the alternator has hit the crapper (tested with alternator tool) and it is bad.

how do i go about replacing this?? i have searched up and down, but can not seem to find out how to do it.

please help
thanks
jimmy

public
07-01-2005, 12:06 PM
You cannot find a Haynes manual in Norristown, PA. ????????

jimmy 2 times
07-01-2005, 12:59 PM
You cannot find a Haynes manual in Norristown, PA. ????????

no pep boys, autozone, and advance don't have it for the 95, they only have the pre 95's it is a special order, and i wouldnt get for 5-7 business days.

lexxxx
07-01-2005, 02:52 PM
order it now so you dont have this problem again

lexxxx
07-01-2005, 02:57 PM
first you need a new alternator. after that open the hood :)

1st loosen the alternator so it swivels. and you can take the belt of then take the nut that it swivels on off, and then the one you loosend then take it out and reverse process to put it back in just get a breaker bar to tighten the belt back. its quite simple theres only like three or four bolts to take of i think. dont quote me on that

jimmy 2 times
07-01-2005, 03:00 PM
im more concerned with torque specs, not the process

lexxxx
07-01-2005, 05:51 PM
what tighten the bolt on there
torque specs thats a bullshit problem
i have change more alternators than i am years old never have i used torque wrench just put it together and bolt it in.
you make me laugh :)

public
07-02-2005, 07:38 AM
what tighten the bolt on there
torque specs thats a bullshit problem
i have change more alternators than i am years old never have i used torque wrench just put it together and bolt it in.
you make me laugh :)

DITTO!!!!! Torque specs on an alt! ahahahahahahahahahaha, ugh. I guess 35-40 lbs would be about right if you must measure it.

As for special ordering the Haynes book....THAT SUCKS! They should have this book! How many Cavi's are there on the road?

finalturismo
07-06-2005, 02:28 PM
your in luck taking the belt of a cava is easy as they come just get a socket that fits the tensioner right under the alternator and act like your tightening the bolt on it. it should move down than pull the belt of and take out the 3 bolts that are connected to it and take it in to autozone or somthing and get a new alternator and bring your old one so you get the core value

Add your comment to this topic!