Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dome light and key / headlights chime don't work

themoose
06-06-2005, 09:18 PM
1993 Chevy Cavalier
-When leaving headlights on or key in ignition, the chime does not work if you open either door.
-When opening either door, the dome light does not work.
-When putting gearshift to Drive, doors no longer lock and safety belt warning lamp does not light.

Dome light and door locks will work operate manually. All fuses look fine. I can't find a mechanical switch on the door that controls the chimes if the door is left open !

Help !

robzone0911
06-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Do you have a factory stereo or have you had it replaced w/ an aftermarket one?

themoose
06-13-2005, 07:23 PM
It is a factory radio/cassette, and it is working fine.

Michel.

FinchUsed
06-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Thats odd. I've only heard of stuff like that happening when you get an aftermarket cd player installed. I've heard on newer Cavaliers you basically have to lose your chimes if you want an aftermarket in it. Im clueless on the problem though. Your wiring messed up?

themoose
06-17-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm clueless as well. On my model, courtesy lights and chime would kick in as soon as a door handle is lifted. There are no switches around the door jam. There must be a relay somewhere ? I've checked under the hood and I can find no relays. All fuses are ok, electric door locks and courtesy lamps work if you switch them on manually, except for the seat belt warning lamp and chime...

boudd
07-23-2005, 10:02 PM
1993 Chevy Cavalier
-When leaving headlights on or key in ignition, the chime does not work if you open either door.
-When opening either door, the dome light does not work.
-When putting gearshift to Drive, doors no longer lock and safety belt warning lamp does not light.

Dome light and door locks will work operate manually. All fuses look fine. I can't find a mechanical switch on the door that controls the chimes if the door is left open !

Help !

Your problem is the driver side door panel pin switch. I just repaired mine with the same problem. The contacts inside get corroded and fail. I simply removed mine, cleaned, filled with Vaseline or dielectric grease and re-install. It has been working fine(dome light and chime) since. The drivers side door pin is seperate from other door pin switch circuits. This push pin switch is located below door hinges on main body. Very easy job to do. Good luck!!

themoose
07-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. What model/year is your car ? I can't seem to find an electrical switch (door pin or pushbutton type).

My problem is with both doors. When it worked, dome would light just by lifting the door handle. The door does not have to be open for it to come on. So that makes me wonder, maybe we are not talking about the same model car or maybe accessories are different ??

I await your comments, thanks.

cficare68
07-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Have you checked your fuzes???

themoose
07-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Yes, all fuses are okay. In fact the dome light works if I switch it on manually. It does not work when I open doors.

Dome light, seat belt alarm and keys/lights warning chime do not work either.

On very few occasions, dome light comes on for a few seconds when door opens but in 99.99 % of time it does not work.

cficare68
07-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Could be a bad switch

themoose
07-25-2005, 11:10 AM
The problem is, there is no switch to be found !

Nothing is apparent from the body of the car. Normally, just by lifting the door handle slightly, the light should go on.

greg9034
07-25-2005, 05:39 PM
I have an aftermarket and no chimes also. Why does it mess up the chimes with aftermarket? Its a pain in the ass leaving lights on etc..

Seanscho
07-27-2005, 01:22 AM
I have an aftermarket and no chimes also. Why does it mess up the chimes with aftermarket? Its a pain in the ass leaving lights on etc..

You actually have to buy a separate sound box to get that chime back. I installed my new system in my car, and had to buy that and wire it in extra. Its freakin loud and not as "charming" as the factory one.

Add your comment to this topic!