Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

resonator

Omega7
05-15-2005, 09:19 PM
I have 99 civic LX with custom exhaust, flowmaster muffler (40 series I think). If I have a resonator welded on will it change the sound of the exhaust any? The resonator I purchased off e-bay, told me it was a high flow cat lol. Was going to just chunk it, but if it will make my exhaust sound better I'll have it welded on..and Yeah I have a cat converter, it's under the car like the EX version.

therealrayman
05-15-2005, 11:18 PM
I have 99 civic LX with custom exhaust, flowmaster muffler (40 series I think). If I have a resonator welded on will it change the sound of the exhaust any? The resonator I purchased off e-bay, told me it was a high flow cat lol. Was going to just chunk it, but if it will make my exhaust sound better I'll have it welded on..and Yeah I have a cat converter, it's under the car like the EX version.

LOL, a high flow catalytic converter is basically just a resonator. And yes , it will enhance the sound of your exhaust, have a high flow cat converter will also increase your horsepower but will lose some low end torque (loss of backpressure). You don't weld it on extra, its a replacement catalytic converter, whether its actually legal is up to your states emissions laws.

Omega7
05-15-2005, 11:54 PM
LOL, a high flow catalytic converter is basically just a resonator. And yes , it will enhance the sound of your exhaust, have a high flow cat converter will also increase your horsepower but will lose some low end torque (loss of backpressure). You don't weld it on extra, its a replacement catalytic converter, whether its actually legal is up to your states emissions laws.

Ahh that explains alot, well thanks for the info.

eckoman_pdx
05-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Not aall resonator are High flow cats. They are 2 ddifferent things. A high flow cat is just that, a high flow cat. A true high flow cat is street legel, some "not street legel" high flow cats exist, but these are basicallty hallow pips that look like a cat from the outside, also know as a test pipe.

Now, a resonator, that is what is used to tue the exhuast note. Muscle cars have used it forever, even Greddy and DC use resomators to help tune the exhuast note.

Me, I have the typicaly honda/acura/import exhuast sound, so I did a custom 2 1/4" cat-back exhuast years ago. I put an 18" resonator on it, because i wanted as deep and throaty a sound as posible from a civic (a B18B1 in it). It worked, many people describe it as "throaty" As throaty as a muscle car or V8? Heck no, no 4 banger could be, LOL. But it's deep ad thoraty none the less...a lot lower and more throaty than most import exhuasts, never had a complaint. For the record, I ALSO have a high flow cat from random tech on there. A resonator and High flow cat are 2 different things entirely, ment to do 2 dfferent things entirely. The resonator is a weld on piece...they are ALWAYS a weld on piece. A high flow cat can be weld on or bolt on...I have a bolt on high flow cat.

The ebay guy probably labled it as "high flow cat" inccorectly, thinkin people would use it as a test pipe or something. Don't screw with that, if you want a street legel high flwo cat, get a Random Tech direct bolt on cat. It's street legel too. If you want to use the resontator, you can, it will changethe exhuast note, thoug to what extent I can't say. How long is it? A longer one wll deepen the tone more(helping it sound less like an annoyingly high pitched whine and more throaty) than a shorter one. How long is it? If it's 15" or longer, put it one, it wil change the exhuast note. Thats one of the 2 things resonators do. They are used to change, deepen/tune the exhuast note, and they also quiet the quite a bit. Still loud, but much more bearable and less annoying.

Add your comment to this topic!