Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 passat wheel bearings replacement?

caarqb
12-22-2004, 10:12 AM
I looking for info on front wheel bearing replacement on a 96 Passat - 4 cylinder model. I have brakes pulled off rotor, how is rotor removed? Are the bearings pressed into the back side of the rotor or pressed into the suspension assembly - (not sure what it is called - but looks like all the suspension components including strut and spring are attached to one assembly. If I need to remove this assembly to get at the bearing - how do I do this?

party dude
02-24-2005, 10:15 AM
hi if they the same as my 1999 passat they pressed in.not an easy job your going to need a press or similar to get them in and out.i have heard a heavy duty puller can do the job or a large nut and bolt with a socket at one end and a washer at the ather end but dont quote on that .

veedubmechanic
02-25-2005, 07:33 PM
THe wheel bearing is attached to the hub assembly. You need to remove the sway bar, 3 bolts on the lower control arm, and the one nut on the shock tower in engine bay. also have the brake rotor/ caliper/ caliper guide removed. The wheel bearing needs to be pressed out and pressed in.

Add your comment to this topic!