Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cold air

godenm
12-15-2004, 03:27 PM
just a question. & i usually dont like asking them,id rather answer them,haha,anyway can anyone tell me is there a sensor or somthing that moniters ambient air temp (not iat sensor,coolent temp sensor),or does the ecu just detect the temp. ...cause on my 98 z24,when its cold(like 40degree or lower) the damn car runs perfect,and im not talking about "cold air is dense air"etc... i mean it runs smooth,no hesitation,lag,or any thing;you give it gas,take-off,change gears,whatever and its just right there,no waiting for a 2-3second stumble,like when the ambient air temp is like 40 or higher it acts as if a coil is breaking up for a few seconds before the power kicks in. i have been monitering this for a while now and have tried everything to get rid of this "lag",and the only thing that cures it is "winter time",lol. can anyone tell me why this does this???????

Classicrocjunkie
12-15-2004, 10:27 PM
I think you just lot most people in what you just said..Basically your IAT tells the computer to adjust everything.. Its one big math equation it does every second.

godenm
12-16-2004, 05:40 AM
so your IAT sensor is the only thing that tells the ecu ambient air temp?...basicly what i meant about "cold air is dense air" is; when air coming in through the t.b. is colder,its more dense thus creating more power.but thats not the case here at all.im saying that the car runs perfectly when its cold out (40degree or colder).when the ambient air temp(temp outside) is any warmer than that, then i get a hesitation or lag at low rpm's. i basicly just wanted to know if anyone might know why this happens....and also i thought that there might be something other than the iat sensor that detects ambient air temp and that it was malfunctioning,sorry for the confussion...

jayson716
12-16-2004, 08:04 PM
I understand what your saying and well all I can say is that is why they have a cold air intake system lol...

godenm
12-16-2004, 08:09 PM
:lol:,i dont know,its a fuckin mystery to me :lol:

Mangoamerican
12-16-2004, 11:45 PM
what happens is... when the air is cold your ait "talks" to your computer and adjusts your a/f ratio accordingly... lots of "ebay chips" actually are resistors that trick your computer into thinking that its colder outside to give you more gas

godenm
12-17-2004, 06:46 PM
yea,i know

Add your comment to this topic!