Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replace cluster?

swashbuckler
09-29-2004, 03:35 PM
The odometer is malfunctioning on my 99 Cavalier, flipping back and forth between digits. The dealer says that the only fix is to replace the cluster, which is not cheap. Aside from having to keep track of oil changes by the calendar rather than by mileage, are there any big problems with putting the cluster replacement on hold?

The car has very low mileage and is otherwise in excellent condition. I plan on keeping it a while longer, but not forever. Will it be impossible to sell without a working odometer? Are there other issues that I'm missing? Thanks.

pitt_99
09-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Well, on my 2002 Cav, my Tach needle was messed up and they had to order a new cluster for me...However I was still under warranty for it so it didn't cost me anything, but having the odometer messed up may be a different story...It's not going to affect the functionality of your car, however when you do go to sell the car, or trade it in, you're probably going to have a hard time if whoever is going to buy it, can't have an accurate reading of the odometer...You may want to see if they can order it, and you put the cluster in yourself...It only takes a few screws to get your dash off, and it's only a 5 min. process after that.
Just a thought.

gmsteve455
09-30-2004, 09:18 AM
I had a 1990 Silverado that had a similar problem. The odo would work fine, then stop, then run backward! Really strange. I pulled the cluster and checked out the circuit board. Turns out that there were several bad solder connections on the board where the odo plugged in. I soldered them up and it worked fine ever since. This might be worth investigating on your car. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!