Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car shakes while accelerating.

Classicrocjunkie
07-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Ok here's the scoop. My cavy is an Automatic and when i accelerate and get up to about 20mph the car begins to shake and its almost like a jerking from side to side motion. This lasts till about 25mph. This is in first gear. Then it goes away while the car shifts into 2nd and then starts up again when the car hits about 35-40 then it begins to shake again but not as harsh and really is only a vibration. I can only feel the one in 2nd gear in the gas pedal and steering wheel. After that in the rest of the gears there is nothing. I have no clue even where to begin. It dosn't feel like there is a problem with the tranny but i'm not a major mechanic. I only know a few minor things. I don't really want to have to take it to the dealership, because i hate them, any help is much appretiated.

rex1one
07-07-2004, 02:35 PM
I know this is a long shot, but I had a similiar problem with an old s10. It turned out that the emergency brake was partially stuck and I had to replace the cable. But it shook a little while braking at low speeds too.

public
07-07-2004, 03:21 PM
You may have a miss under load. Check your plugs and wires. The problem seems related to engine speed and load. Good Luck.

Classicrocjunkie
07-07-2004, 06:53 PM
I don't think it would have to do with my plugs and wires. There is no difference in my performance. Still does the usual get up and go. When is shakes its only for like a second or 2. This has only started happening since i lowered it. Could it be that one of my front tires is basically bald?

public
07-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Yes, a bad, out of balance tire could do this. Typically this vibration will increase with vehicle speed. Also suspension mods can cause vibration. If you change the spring rate or deflect a bushing you could get weird problems especially when coupled to a bad tire.

I was thinking engine because under load the engine timing advances and the fuel/air level goes up, that can cause plugs to misfire and a bad plug wire can fire to ground or to another wire.

Add your comment to this topic!