Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Cavalier Ignition Problems

Guy2611
06-03-2004, 03:55 PM
I have a 2000 Cavalier 2.2 litre. It has intermittent problems with starting. Frequently it will start & then stop within 1-2 seconds of starting. Then other times it will fire up with no problems. I still have several things to check (ignition coil, spark plugs, etc.). I was just wondering if anyone has a similar problem & could give me some advice so that I could narrow my search.

Thanks

Axle052
06-03-2004, 08:54 PM
There was a recall on that model and year by GM for ignition problems. Check it out at your local dealer.

veronica quintero
06-03-2004, 09:41 PM
1996 chevy cavalier 2.4 ltr. sometimes it will start and i can run around doing my errands but i have to leave it running because if i turn it off while i am at the grocery store it will not start back up. so i have to leave it on until i get back home

veronica quintero
06-03-2004, 09:45 PM
p.s. what do you think my problem is. signed very destitute and cannot afford any professional help.

Guy2611
06-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I already took the car in and had the recall ingnition problem fixed and I'm still having the same problems. I also took the car in and had the clutch linkage adjusted, but to my dismay, no luck. Thanks though. I will let you know if I find anything.

04_CaV!!
06-04-2004, 06:33 AM
1996 chevy cavalier 2.4 ltr. sometimes it will start and i can run around doing my errands but i have to leave it running because if i turn it off while i am at the grocery store it will not start back up. so i have to leave it on until i get back home

Lets try to narrow down your problem.
First when your running about town and go and shut it off and try to restart it. Does it (1) turn over but don't start? (2) You turn the key and all you get is a clicking noise. or (3) Turn over, start to turn over and then sputter and stall?
Things to check
(1)&(2) Could be your starter is starting to go or battery. If all your getting is a clicking now and again after running the car sounds like the soiloid on the starter is sticking in a flat spot. If the car is turning over but not starting at all. Check the last time you changed your battery or at the very least check to see if your battery is serviable and check the levels in the cells. If they are low use DISTILLED water ONLY to refill them NOT TAP WATER.
(3) When was the last time you had a tune up

Add your comment to this topic!