Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 cavalier 2.3litre

blackcavi
06-01-2004, 08:27 PM
I was wondering im getting a ticking noise from the engine when its in drive and when driving, alo somtimes when i would slow down to stop then take off or just start the car up the rpm would go under 1 rpm abit then rev back up and jerk the car forward if in drive.hope someone can help me asap.

GRANDAMLD9
06-01-2004, 09:37 PM
wheres the ticking coming from? sounds like you might be on your way to spinning a rod.

blackcavi
06-17-2004, 08:05 PM
wheres the ticking coming from? sounds like you might be on your way to spinning a rod.
The sound is coming from the engine some where, i have to replace the bearing where the belts rides on, not sure what its real name is. i think its has to do with the air conditioning, this bearing which was grinding before, still need to replace. Like i hear this sound from my dads girlfreinds car but not as loud, somtimes mines quits mostyl not.whats a rod if you dont mind me asking. thanks.

public
06-17-2004, 10:07 PM
There is no prep noise on your "way to spinning a rod" That noise you will hear loud and clear.A rod bearing that moves a 1/1000 of an inch is toast. Ticking usually indicates a valve train that is loose. It could be the bearing you speak of. You may also want to check the idler pully. They have a spring inside that can bounce and make a ticking sound, but I have only seen that a couple of times. Good Luck.

aviator18
06-17-2004, 11:09 PM
you have sticky lifters, my mom has a 95 as well and her car clicks away like crazy, and has since 97, the best thing to do would be to buy yourself a valve cover gasket, and take the old valve cover off and put some oil down in there, my mom did that and it quieted it down for a while

public
06-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Try a thinner oil. A lower number 5w30 instead of 10w40. This will get up through the engine faster and into smaller nonpressurized areas, like around the lifters. Good Luck.

blackcavi
06-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Hey thanks alot evryone, i will try everything you have told me, and i was wondering how long can a 95 cavalier 2.3 liter engine last with 177 thousand km's on it. I was thinking of making it faster but wasnt sure if it would be a good idea considering it has some many km's om it. And does anyone know where i can can a nice customed sub box for my car i have 2 10 inch rockords. also if anyone doesnt mind me asking my cd deck theres a gap betweeen the deck and the car molding no deep but noticable wondering if theres any ideas what to use to fill it with, and what should i use to power my neone lights i want to hook up 3 in the trunk and 2 in the front. Thanks alot i realy appreciate it.

public
06-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Well as for the car lasting. I have a 1989 2.0 that I bought new. It now has 297,000 miles on it and still don't burn any oil. I am a little old to help with your customization questions though. Good Luck.

blackcavi
06-21-2004, 05:52 PM
thanks but if any one else out there what kind og air filter and muffler sjould i put on my cavi, i want something good but no to crazy. i was thinking about a k&N cone shaped filter i stil have a factory one in it, and a mangnaflow muffler.

hopeless4life
06-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Go for a cold air intake, it helps the engine slightly but it makes it sound meaner. I'd go for a set of headers for better flow as opposed to the muffler, all too often these "performance" mufflers decrease engine HP as opposed to increase it. Most 4 cyl engines rely fairly heavily on backpressure which you lose when those fart cans are installed, which equals decreased HP. Although some of them do sound good. The headers and intake will only slightly help the power. Also to your first question i'd say lifters, they have additives which quiet noisy lifters.

blackcavi
06-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Well thanks alot im still not sure on the muffler do they realy decrease hp , and i have a cavi it has 172 000 km's on it and its a 95 does it seem like it would be a good idea to this to my car and its an automatic.

Add your comment to this topic!