Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

okay, I really need help (please!)

Mike75
04-15-2004, 05:43 AM
So here is the problem...

I'll be sitting at a red light, and when it turns green, I step on the gas pedal. But all too often, instead of accelerating, it just sputters and dies. Other than this, the car runs fine. It's a 93LX 3.8L. I just bought it last week, and haven't changed the fuel filter yet and am assuming that it never has been changed (will do tomorrow). Do yall think this could be causing the problem? I really would appreciate some advice.

Thanks a lot in advance.

-Mike

jlewis
04-15-2004, 06:17 PM
That's possible but doubtful. Fuel problems show up when you're running hard, high revs. It sounds like you may have a bad TPS(throttle position sensor). I'm just making an educated guess, but it sounds like it's either bad or not set right. I'm not sure how much you know about it but I could point you in the right direction if you don't know how to check it. A voltmeter is required.
Post up.

Mike75
04-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks a lot man. Is the TPS the part that sits on the throttle body, just after the air intake hose - bolted on by 2 bolts? I think I know what you're talking about. Either way, yes - I would love some help on it. Thanks man.

I'll post on here after I buy the voltmeter.

8ate8
04-15-2004, 10:35 PM
problem could also be a clogged mass air flow sensor. my car would do the same thing (sputter when you first step on the gas.. it's fine in higher rpm's, and after the car warms up, the problem would go away). a new MAF sensor solved the problem.

Mike75
04-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Thanks man. I have heard both theories, actually. I'm going to go ahead and get the voltmeter, so I can test the TPS, so I can get it right the first time. Money is kinda tight atm, so I can only do one or the other. The TPS is 60 bucks, and the MAF is 95. Either way, I guess I'll at least have a voltmeter. Thanks again man!

jlewis
04-16-2004, 11:50 AM
I assume you're going to get a digital multimeter. That would be the most useful. Should be about 20-30 bucks at sears. You'll also be able to use it to check all your sensors, including the mass air. Definitely a vital tool.

jlewis
04-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Here's the link to a TPS test/set procedure: http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/idletpsadjustment.html
All of that was written for the turbocoupe but the procedure still applies. Just make sure the base voltage is below 1.0 volt on an n/a engine. .95 is a good number. Also it is very important that you get the idle set to spec first, as a change in idle affects the TPS voltage(disregard that if the 3.8 doesn't have an idle set screw,which it probably doesn't). Also your TB is probably not in the same place as the TC so just look for the black flat thing on the TB with two screws in it and three wires coming out of it. And you adjust it by loosening the screws and turning the sensor slightly. But the most important thing is to check for dead spots.

fordforlife
04-16-2004, 08:19 PM
if not those, might be fuel pump. my 93 v6 did the same thing, i had the fuel pressure checked,(after changing fuel filter) and it turned out to be my fuel pump, i changed it and it runs great now. I did it myself, and pump was like 40 i think, cant rem.

fordforlife
04-16-2004, 08:21 PM
by the way, do u iknow if u can u test a tps on a 90 f-150 the same way as on that web page? thx

Mike75
04-16-2004, 08:31 PM
by the way, do u iknow if u can u test a tps on a 90 f-150 the same way as on that web page? thx

Thanks a lot, guys! I'm out the door going to Sears right now to pick up a digital multimeter. This way I can test out both the MAF sensor and the TPS. And thanks to ford4life, if both of those are fine, I'll know what to check next.

Thanks again guys - registering at this website is the best move I've made all week! Sad, ain't it?! :D

fordforlife
04-16-2004, 08:37 PM
no prob, let us know what u find out! let me know how testing the tps goes, i think i need to test my truck's.

Mike75
04-18-2004, 01:08 AM
Hehe, okay...I finally got the digital multimeter. You guys are probably going to laugh, but I'm not exactly sure what I need to do with it.

Here is the one that I got:

http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/034/82139/03482139000-dlv.jpg

I just read a short tutorial online and now have a vague understanding of what's going on, but I have no idea how to test my TPS and MAF sensor. Here is what I read:

http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/usingamultimeter.htm

My Haynes manual only tells me where they are, so that doesn't do me much good. If you guys have the time, or know of a good link, would you please please please give me this last bit of help - for now? Hehe, thanks guys, I'm sorry to be such a pain in the ass, but I hate paying for stuff that I want to learn how to do anyways. Besides, I can't really afford to take the car into the shop anyways. Thanks again guys, for everything.

Once again, my car is a '93 LX 3.8L.

Thanks in advance!

jlewis
04-18-2004, 07:36 AM
That is a sweet multimeter. I wish I had one with the temp probe.

Hey, did you see my link up above. That goes through the whole process. Here, I'll copy it back here:
Here's the link to a TPS test/set procedure: http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/...adjustment.html (http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/idletpsadjustment.html)
All of that was written for the turbocoupe but the procedure still applies. Just make sure the base voltage is below 1.0 volt on an n/a engine. .95 is a good number. Also it is very important that you get the idle set to spec first, as a change in idle affects the TPS voltage(disregard that if the 3.8 doesn't have an idle set screw,which it probably doesn't). Also your TB is probably not in the same place as the TC so just look for the black flat thing on the TB with two screws in it and three wires coming out of it. And you adjust it by loosening the screws and turning the sensor slightly. But the most important thing is to check for dead spots.

ford for life, I'm not sure what engine you have, but if it's fuel injected and it's a '90 model then it's probably EEC-IV and so it should have the same procedure.

jlewis
04-18-2004, 07:43 AM
Oh yeah, and you might have to stick a sharp pin(like safety pin, etc) into the wire to get a connection. I'm pretty sure you use the green wire. Make sure to seal it up with something afterwards. You could also try to probe the connector by sticking a paper clip down in it next to the wire. This doesn't always work that good though. Make sure you have a really good ground or use the black wire off the TPS as your ground.

Mike75
04-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Well guys, it turns out that the TPS was bad. I got a new one and am hoping to see a difference tomorrow morning when the engine is cold. Thanks SO much for all of your help! I'm still going to test the fuel pump and MAF as soon as I get the chance, but for now, I have to do a bunch of last minute homework that this car has gotten me behind in. Thanks again for all of your time, guys - you have no idea how much I appreciate it! If there's anything I can do for you from out here in L.A., let me know!

-Mike

Add your comment to this topic!