Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Domestic Vs. Imports

RavagePenguin
02-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Lets get the facts settled!

Imports Advantage:

1. Lighter means faster
2. Good fuel economy
3. Smaller

Imports disadvantage:

1. Interior built cheaply
2. Not Natrually Aspirted
3. Light weight means hard to drive in strong wind

Domestic Advantage:

1. Heavy but just as fast as an import
2. Natrually Aspirted
3. Made out of good strong material

Domestic Disadvantage:

1. Bad fuel economy
2. Little bit bigger than a import
3. Big price

Ok both have there ups and downs. But if you look at domestics sometime's the heavier car can win. The car is also is good for fuel economy. Honestly I think Muscle cars should try and reclaim their throne. Ok the 05 Mustang and GTO are supposed be the new muscle cars. But in my opinion there sport cars. I made a list on what muscle cars should be:

1. Small tires in the front and bigger ones in the back
2. Big block V8 engines
3. Just a regular spoiler like on the 1970's Trans Am
4. Loud
5. Smaller rim like on the old ones wich had mostly air
6. No sponser's on the side like on custom imports
7. Rear Wheel Drive
8. Carberator's
9. Blower's
10. Doesnt need a body kit that way you drive on your driveway
11. 6 speed manuel 4 speed auto
12. Easy to read gauges
13. A classy interior
14. Made out of steel
15. Cupholder's
16. Flame or stripe decals unless it's a Trans Am then you put a bird

That's what I think please tell me what you think with out being rude.

FortechMini11
02-27-2004, 01:24 AM
classic cars didn't exactly have cup holders, most people tend to keep their muscle original as far as the tranny unless its a nasty street/strip car, so why a 6 to be so muscle-like? and there are also a ton of imported cars that are N/A. there is also nothing wrong with a stick or two in the window, don't over do it though of course, carbs are of course a must but a blower on every muscle car is a bit much. if every car was to this exact list, we might as well all drive a nascar. also, why smaller tires in the front? wide tires in the front increase your handling capability, and why not painted flames, do they have to be decals?

RavagePenguin
02-28-2004, 04:57 PM
I'm just going by some muscle car specifications. I said decal flames because there easier to repair if you you get it scratched. I said I mean't small and big on the tires heighth I didn't say width. And on sponser decals I forgot to add that's it's ok for windshield ones. But keep it where it doesn't have more than 10. But notice that I said on the side of the car. And now that I think about it a blower could be for high performance models. Also for the imports N/A is for a plain stock car. I mean't performance model's like the Mitsu EVO and the Suburu STI have turbo's on them

FortechMini11
03-01-2004, 12:53 AM
the STi is stock...

tc3
03-01-2004, 07:59 AM
this is really confusing, you said that disadvantages for both were that the imports were not naturally aspirated, and domestics were, then you say that muscle cars should have superchargers on them, and about carbs, efi now is more effiecient and can make more power than carbs, but if your gona go all out and have loads of horsepower it doesnt matter but i was just confused a little, that list, is it for stock cars from factory?

Blue02R6
03-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Seeing as how this is in the Pontiac section and Pontiacs didn't really have a "Big Block" or 6spd M/T or 4spd A/ts. Are you trying to say something? :biggrin: Anyway no car exists with your criteria for muslce cars, past or present.

FortechMini11
03-05-2004, 12:25 AM
why do you say that pontiac never really had a big block?

Blue02R6
03-06-2004, 10:55 AM
To have a big block you need a small block. Pontiac had one block. In general size and weight it was more of an intermediate block.

RavagePenguin
03-06-2004, 08:40 PM
I mean't for most muscle car that didn't mean just the Trans Am

12_Sec_Comet
03-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Domestic Advantage: 1968 Hurst Hemi Dart/Barracuda 426 cid, A833 4spd, Dana 60

Find an off the showroom floor import that can beat that.

Import Advantage: Good on fuel and can be left running for long periods of time to re-charge batteries for Hemi cars.

I've got an off the show room floor Schwinn that can beat 97% of them.

Can you tell I'm biased?

RavagePenguin
03-10-2004, 08:47 PM
I said High Performance models. What I mean't by stock was that it is just a average car. Another thing is that the Domestic are better for the economy. Even if the Japanese build factory's in the U.S. it's not supporting an an American company. I do have to admit though I have like for the Mazda RX-8 and the Mitsubishi Evolution. Another thing you say that the 4 speed auto transmission didn't exist try saying that to my Trans Am. It has the original transmission so yes a 4 speed auto did exist! I got to looking at muscle cars at a car show and I have seen a 6 speed manual transmission. I don't remeber the exact year but it had to be in the 1970's. I don't quite remember the car. All I know was that it was in it's stock condition. One more thing a Pontiac Trans Am is the same thing as a Chevy Camaro Z28 mechanicly and a little bit of the same body just a little bit. So almost anything Chevy had Pontiac had. Remember they were both made by GM.

Blue02R6
03-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Okay this is a bit of history. First of all you will not find a showroom stock 6spd in a 1980 GM car and before. I did not say that 4spd autos do not exist I said no car with all of your criteria exsits. Furthermore a T/A and a camaro were not mechanically similar until 1980. Even then only the LG4 cars would be considered mechanically similar. Saying that they were both made by GM makes no difference, that would be the same as saying an Electro-Motive SD90 and an EV1 are similar.

RavagePenguin
03-12-2004, 08:38 PM
I had a couple of things that were custom. And trust me I have seen a "Showroom stock" 6 speed before 1980. Another thing is that if you compare the mechanic's (except engine) of a 1975 Camaro Z28 and a Pontiac Trans Am You will see they are alike. Another thing is if you look at the body everything is molded the same except the grill and taillights. One of the only things thats completely different is the interior. Look at the blueprints of each car. I understand that not all GM cars are alike but the ones that are is: Cavilier & Sunfire, Silverado & Sierra, Colorado & Canyon, and Camaro and Firebird. Yes I do know that some of them are new. But the trucks have been around forever. Start reading the specs on them and you'ill see what I'm saying

Ace$nyper
03-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Lets get the facts settled!

Imports Advantage:

1. Lighter means faster :light ass domestic cars
2. Good fuel economy :yea a cammed EVO that gets awesome milage
3. Smaller :ever see the size of a Supra?

Imports disadvantage:

1. Interior built cheaply : Have you seen a camaro ever?
2. Not Natrually Aspirted : most are N/A
3. Light weight means hard to drive in strong wind : *see above about light wieght

Domestic Advantage:

1. Heavy but just as fast as an import : sometimes faster sometimes slower
2. Natrually Aspirted :GN???? SVO stang?
3. Made out of good strong material : what about vette FIBERGLASS WTF!!!

Domestic Disadvantage:

1. Bad fuel economy :I've seen big block fords get 20 on highway with good carb tuning
2. Little bit bigger than a import :mainly yes
3. Big price :not always

Ok both have there ups and downs. But if you look at domestics sometime's the heavier car can win. The car is also is good for fuel economy. Honestly I think Muscle cars should try and reclaim their throne. Ok the 05 Mustang and GTO are supposed be the new muscle cars. But in my opinion there sport cars. I made a list on what muscle cars should be:

1. Small tires in the front and bigger ones in the back :few RWD imports namly 240sx Z cars Surpas to name a few
2. Big block V8 engines :most yes but also lot of small blocks and as befoere GN was a 6
3. Just a regular spoiler like on the 1970's Trans Am :ok i'll agree unless needed spoilers are no no
4. Loud :have you heard a neon with a folgers can?
5. Smaller rim like on the old ones wich had mostly air :my car has 15s and came with 13s stock!
6. No sponser's on the side like on custom imports :no stickers on alot
7. Rear Wheel Drive :see RWD imports above
8. Carberator's :ok carbs do kick ass but EFI has its ups
9. Blower's i:'m an N/A man but blowers are fugging sweet!
10. Doesnt need a body kit that way you drive on your driveway :I like my cars lines no kit here
11. 6 speed manuel 4 speed auto :what about old skool 4spd stick?
12. Easy to read gauges :pleanty of cars hell ever see how nice alot of cars are now?
13. A classy interior yea should be sweet i agree
14. Made out of steel :i think anything is cool
15. Cupholder's :well what car shouldn't?
16. Flame or stripe decals unless it's a Trans Am then you put a bird :never felt decals or stripes my self.

That's what I think please tell me what you think with out being rude.
well i took what you think and added my :2cents: to it. my words start after the :

RavagePenguin
03-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Well at least one person agrees with me about alot of things.

FortechMini11
03-13-2004, 12:56 AM
1 out of 4.8 billion people on this planet

jinxstar0000000
04-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Domestic Advantage: 1968 Hurst Hemi Dart/Barracuda 426 cid, A833 4spd, Dana 60

Find an off the showroom floor import that can beat that.

Import Advantage: Good on fuel and can be left running for long periods of time to re-charge batteries for Hemi cars.

I've got an off the show room floor Schwinn that can beat 97% of them.

Can you tell I'm biased?

and handling? cant handle worth a shit u act like 1/4 is all you can do with a car
another retarded American tradition

69mustang
05-02-2004, 01:55 PM
and handling? cant handle worth a shit u act like 1/4 is all you can do with a car
another retarded American tradition

The only reason you ricers bitch about only thinking about the 1/4 mile is becuase your rice burners can't run the 1/4 with anything close to resembling decent times. Handling is important but you imply that all imports come with good handling and you are wrong some do and some don't just like domestics. And I'm sorry you think that it is a retarded american tradition but it is an american tradition and you are in america if you don't approve you are more than welcome to get the hell OUT! There is one very important rule to this equation that all the jap crap companies seem to have forgotten...There is no replacement for displacement. Its simple physics and to make up for thier lack of displacement imports usually turn to nitrous or turbos and still can't keep up with n/a domestic cars...its sad really!

cndctrdj
05-08-2004, 08:44 PM
you just described my TA its got 16 inch wheels a 6 speed a big v8 very loud exhaust and cup holders

68chevelle
05-08-2004, 09:24 PM
first of all i dont know why the hell anyone started another thread about imports vs. domestics. second, RavagePeaguin, how old are you? i wonder about anyone who doesnt put there age in the profile, it could just be for no reason but i still always wonder. you sound like some 15 year old kid who has grown up knowing a little and hearing things all your life but not actualy knowing. no 60's or 70's muscle car came with a 6 speed manual. never happened. and to my knowlegs they didnt even come out with 4 speed autos until way late 70's if your lucky, but i think early 80's. not to mention you seem to be comparing stock imports to what would be a totaly non stock domestic car for any car to comply with all of your items you say it should be to be concidered a muscle car. any old car would have to have alot of money put into it for it to be a muscle car acording to what you have posted. now as far as your "facts" are concerned, only like half of them maybe make sence or are facts. by the way so what you mean is that my 68 chevelle with a small block 350, making around 360 HP and 430 ft.lbs., a TH350 trans,(3 speed), that you can hear from alteast two blocks away is not a muscle car? i would say you are totaly mistaken. dont get me wrong i own and drive my car every day but i still like any car. evey car has its perpous and advantages and disadvantages. i really think this was a dumb thread to start. it has been discused so many times already.

musclecarfanatic
05-08-2004, 11:49 PM
I agree with that person, about what a muscle car should REALLY be, the new GTO and mustang are just sport cars. Look at the old Monte Carlos compared to the NEW monte carlos, the older ones sported the rear wheel drive and bigger engines, but the newer ones have front wheel drive and smaller engines. What is the point of having a front wheel drive if it's suppose to be a muscle car? now dont get me wrong the new so called "muscle cars" are really nice, but they dont sport the TRUE muscle car features.

musclecarfanatic
05-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Yes, his standards for a muscle car are high. i personally think a muscle car is a stock 72 GTO with a 350, with maybe a few modifications such as posi rears. i like the 72 GTO thats why i use it as my example, also my buddy i work with has a 72 GTO stock with a few minor modifications here and there, and i turely like it very much the way it looks

cndctrdj
05-09-2004, 12:14 AM
everyone knocks the muscle cars on thier handleing but for thier time they werent too bad.
now the new muscle cars do handle really well

jon@af
05-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Alright, here's the deal. Threads like this almost ALWAYS turn into a fight, and we, as mods, are asked to close them when we see them. The argument is pointless because it's all about personal preference and taste. Please, don't start "import vs. domestic" threads. They always, at some point, end up the same way.

Add your comment to this topic!