Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New here, need help with g/f car.

rtextreme
02-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Hi guys, my name is Terry Zumalt. I drive a 98 Dodge Dakota R/T but I am looking for some help diagnosing a problem with my girlfriends 95 Cavalier Z24.

Her car tries to die on the highway around 50-60 miles an hour. She can keep it from dieing by stabbing the gas when it starts to sputter. The other thing is it does it on the shifts, like if she has to slow down for a car infront of her, when she reapplies the gas it studders and tries to spit out. oh, it is also an automatic. The fuel pump and filter were changed not even 2000 miles ago, but the problem didnt change. I am hoping that it is some sort of sensor, but I dont know my way around her car at all. Are these cars prone to this kind of problem? Any help is appreciated greatly.

Thanks for the help
Terry

Overtime
02-16-2004, 08:51 AM
The most immediate thing that comes to mind is the fuel filter and pump, which you have just changed. I would recommend checking the spark plugs first to make sure they are gapped correctly and not fouled. If they are, there is a reason. You should check the injectors. I was able to pull my fuel rail off without disconnecting the injectors from it (3 bolts). Lay them on a large piece of cardboard and test the spray(mine was 2 foot by 3 foot). Also check the o-rings while you have them off and replace them is they look burned, melted, or torn. If you have a Hayne's or Chilton's guide, verify the ohm reading on the injector(unplug these one at a time!). You can also pick up a 'noid' light($6) from autozone to test whether you are getting electrical signal to the injector.

xjoeharperx
02-16-2004, 09:21 AM
It does sound like a fuel problem...Get the manual and check out the cam position sensor too.

sammy2
01-17-2005, 01:14 AM
How do you use a noid light and how do you do a spray test with fuel rail out and I have ohm meter to test injectors but how where are the test points?

The most immediate thing that comes to mind is the fuel filter and pump, which you have just changed. I would recommend checking the spark plugs first to make sure they are gapped correctly and not fouled. If they are, there is a reason. You should check the injectors. I was able to pull my fuel rail off without disconnecting the injectors from it (3 bolts). Lay them on a large piece of cardboard and test the spray(mine was 2 foot by 3 foot). Also check the o-rings while you have them off and replace them is they look burned, melted, or torn. If you have a Hayne's or Chilton's guide, verify the ohm reading on the injector(unplug these one at a time!). You can also pick up a 'noid' light($6) from autozone to test whether you are getting electrical signal to the injector.

noshun
01-17-2005, 05:15 PM
You could try the highest octane gas you can get with some fule line cleanber and see if there is an improvament. you may just have dirty injectors!

Also has the starte oir anything in the transmission been repaired just beofre it happened as some of the grounds at the back of the starter motor may be poor and you can clean them up with sandpaper. Some peoplem will say 'it's this it happened to me' this did happen to me but in two different cars and two different reasons, there is many resons that this can happen. You need gas and sandpapaer is very inexpensive as is fule line cleaner and is a good place to start before switching out expensive stuff.

BTW on car was dirty fuel line and fuel line cleaner fixed it. the other was the ground at the starter after the clutch was changed (88 z24) igntion ground there!!

93_R/T_TT_Stealth
01-17-2005, 09:58 PM
It could also be a MAP sensor problem if you need a picture of what the sensor looks like an how to check for faults with it let it be known... :)

noshun
01-17-2005, 10:07 PM
It could also be a MAP sensor problem if you need a picture of what the sensor looks like an how to check for faults with it let it be known... :)

Chack my new sig i;m quite proud!!

93_R/T_TT_Stealth
01-17-2005, 11:18 PM
ya thats sweet lookin - imagine havin that many of the same exact car lol - you wouldnt know what to do with em all - lol - maybe dif car everyday of the week =P

'94CavyRs3.1
01-17-2005, 11:31 PM
had the same problem with my old car....it was the coil pak..got a new one and there went the problem most likely its something to do with that or related to that....wires plugs...what not...

sammy2
01-18-2005, 12:00 AM
I am going out to test resistance of my injectors but do not know what the next step is....if there is a bad read. I also need to check sensors

I've been posting at the following:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=189838&goto=newpost

sammy2
01-18-2005, 12:14 AM
No repair to starter...transm. an injector was leaking and was replaced....following that the veh would start but not run

You could try the highest octane gas you can get with some fule line cleanber and see if there is an improvament. you may just have dirty injectors!

Also has the starte oir anything in the transmission been repaired just beofre it happened as some of the grounds at the back of the starter motor may be poor and you can clean them up with sandpaper. Some peoplem will say 'it's this it happened to me' this did happen to me but in two different cars and two different reasons, there is many resons that this can happen. You need gas and sandpapaer is very inexpensive as is fule line cleaner and is a good place to start before switching out expensive stuff.

BTW on car was dirty fuel line and fuel line cleaner fixed it. the other was the ground at the starter after the clutch was changed (88 z24) igntion ground there!!

sammy2
01-18-2005, 12:19 AM
I put highest octane at pump & had put fuel / injector cleaner in abt 1000 miles prior. The replacement inj was not new it was from salvaged motor, picked up fuel rail w/ inj

sammy2
01-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Test done. Results:
inj 1 .015
inj 2 .015
inj 3 .015
inj 4 .015
inj 5 .004
inj 6 .015

injector 5 is the one that was replaced because fuel was not dripping but running out. What would next step be. My Chilton's manual has not been helpful in dealing with this matter.

I put highest octane at pump & had put fuel / injector cleaner in abt 1000 miles prior. The replacement inj was not new it was from salvaged motor, picked up fuel rail w/ inj

sammy2
01-18-2005, 02:27 AM
Okay I pulled an injector from #5 position from fuel rail picked up. The person that installed injector for me did not use one in same position as the one that had gone bad. [I got that idea from someone's post the other day]. Anyway, that injector is testing at .015, the same as others. Can I assume it safe to install and check this out? Also, how are these cleaned?

Test done. Results
:
inj 1 .015
inj 2 .015
inj 3 .015
inj 4 .015
inj 5 .004
inj 6 .015

injector 5 is the one that was replaced because fuel was not dripping but running out. What would next step be. My Chilton's manual has not been helpful in dealing with this matter.

lemonowner
01-19-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm just curious, has your GF's 95 Cavalier justed started to do this? My '03 Cavalier had intermitent stalling problems from the time it was brand new.

Is she the origional owner? If so, maybe you should ask her if she remebers the car's engine ever stalling, even if only a few times a year.

I'm not an expert by any means, so I'm not sure if the 95 Cavalier and the 03 Cavalier use the same components/computer system/engine etc... but I'm finding that I am not the only Cavalier owner to have the stalling issue. Could the Cavalier in general simply be defective?

I've posted about this topic in another thread.

Add your comment to this topic!