Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help

grandprix89
01-08-2004, 01:18 PM
hello to all..as u may notice i'm pretty new to this forum..but i need your advice on the problem i have with my car..it's an 89 grand prix 2.8 engine..with auto tranny..when it's cold outside..the tranny doesn't want to shift into second gear..so i'm stuck to drive around 5-10 min in first gear obviously not going very fast...as soon as it warms up ( i guess) it shifts perfectly fine..i checked the fluid level ...it's been changed not too long ago and it's at max level...do u have nay ideas suggestions? or of how to warm up my tranny?..i always warm up my engine in the morning..or whenever the car sat for a long period..i must say here in canada the temperature is pretty low overnight in winter times..last night -27 Celsius..i'm waiting for your ideas..thx in advance..

MustangRoadRacer
01-08-2004, 05:37 PM
does it not shift AT ALL into second?
regardless of RPM?

bm2boats
01-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Go out and get yourself a Tranny kit. (About $20.00) replace the filter.
Then go over to Cottman Trans or Aamco or anywhere where they do Transmission Flushes. Cost, about $70.00 to $90.00, depends where you go.

grandprix89
01-08-2004, 06:59 PM
well it starts shifting but afetr a while..say 5-10 min of driving in first gear..and yes..no matter what RPM..

Bronco2
01-08-2004, 07:33 PM
My guess is you have a weak trans.-all the O rings and nylon seals "shrink" in cold weather-after driving a while the temp. comes up and the seals expand-fluid goes where its supposed to. The old temporary cure for this was to add app.4oz of brake fluid to the trans-this would swell the seals up. I really don't think having the trans flushed would fix your problem

grandprix89
01-08-2004, 10:19 PM
thanks a lot for your replies guys..just another think..anyone knows a way to warm up the tranny fluid faster? i mean in park i don't think it warms up much..just the engine is warming up..i might be wrong though..i heard that maybe in neutral it would warm up faster but i'm not too sure..

Add your comment to this topic!