Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto Starter for a Manual Car?

Rollin619
07-02-2003, 12:32 AM
I have heard from some people that you can only have a auto starter (as in you press a button and it starts) if you have an automatic. I don't see why you can't have one if you keep your manual in nuetral and just use the E brake all the time.

Personally I usually keep my car in first and dont ever touch the e brake, but I trust it.

Am I wrong or what?

pod
07-03-2003, 01:30 AM
there's one problem you have to kick the clucth in to start most cars

SaabJohan
07-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Have never driven a car with manual gearbox that you had to push down the clutch for it to start. Could on the other hand be a function of some "moron proof" USA-version of cars with manual gearboxes.

The system that you describe simply replace the starter from the key to a button. But I can't se any advantage with it unless you have a wireless "key", isn't that fun if anyone can start your car unless it's a racing car which always stand in a locked garage when unguarded.

Rich
07-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by SaabJohan

The system that you describe simply replace the starter from the key to a button. But I can't se any advantage with it unless you have a wireless "key", isn't that fun if anyone can start your car unless it's a racing car which always stand in a locked garage when unguarded.

I think he meant "remote start"

darkaccord
07-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by SaabJohan
Have never driven a car with manual gearbox that you had to push down the clutch for it to start. Could on the other hand be a function of some "moron proof" USA-version of cars with manual gearboxes.

What kind of cars have you driven? I've never seen a car that you don't have to press the clutch to start.

SaabJohan
07-14-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by darkaccord

What kind of cars have you driven? I've never seen a car that you don't have to press the clutch to start.

Saabs, Audis, VWs, Opels, Volvos and so on, all of them with manual gearbox (the only car with automatic gearbox I have ever driven is a Saab 9-5 Aero) and I have never noticed that you need to push the clutch down to start the car.

My guess is that cars with manual gearboxes sold in the U.S. has that function since people there are used to automatics. Some cars with manual gearboxes sold in the U.S. also have "shift up" lights.

2strokebloke
07-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Yes some of the new manual car in the U.S. have a function that keeps the starter from turning unless the driver have pushed the clutch in. Even so, you do have to push the clutch in on all manual cars for starting.

SaabJohan
07-14-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by 2strokebloke
Yes some of the new manual car in the U.S. have a function that keeps the starter from turning unless the driver have pushed the clutch in. Even so, you do have to push the clutch in on all manual cars for starting.

It works fine to start without using the clutch if there are no gear in. But the car can also be started/runned on the startermotor with a gear in, this can be useful if the engine have broken and you're stuck on a place you must get out of fast like a railroad crossing.

2strokebloke
07-15-2003, 08:11 PM
You should, if you want your starter motor to last as long as it ought to - especially if you live in a cold climate where the extra load on the starter is going to do it's worst.

Add your comment to this topic!