Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Why is Skyline so special

Pages : [1] 2 3

Donham
06-28-2003, 09:19 AM
This is not a import vs Domestic topic..

I am just wandering why the Skyline is so much a killer car...
I hear about how they make so much killer power in Japan.. and all that,,
I mean, what about a 93+ Twin turbo supra? You can make powr from that also...

My point is, you could take the new japan ver Skyline, sneak it over here to USA, take a 10 yr old 93 Supra, have $5000 in mods each to give both, and the Supra would probably mop the Skylines butt all over the place in a 1/4 mile and maybe even handling...

I am no import lover, but why worry about the FASTER japan ver of the skyline not comming to American, when you already have pretty impressive killer big power jap imports here that have the same or better potentual..

And there is more than the supra here for
good imports too.

scott

BeEfCaKe
06-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Do you see many skylines aren't here? What about supras? That answers your question. Supra is a great car, but it is simply no match for skyline. There's simply too much to mention to compare the two. But a few key points.. skyline is quite easily get over 1000hp, yet supras tend to be around 800-900 range. Sure you might be able to whoop a skyline using the same money (or even much less) you spend on one, but I think you get much more respect driving the gtr.

BlkCamaroSS
06-28-2003, 12:16 PM
Yeah, scarcity makes all the difference. I've not ever seen a Skyline in person, yet I see Supras all the time...

igor@af
06-28-2003, 12:23 PM
The main difference is that Skyline has a very sophisticated 4wd system and suspension. Supra is RWD. In drag racing, a 4wd/Awd car will kill a rwd car. That is why there are so many 10 second Eclipse GSXs.
If you have 800hp going to the wheels, you'd want to pair that with traction, and the only way to do that is to deliver the power to all 4 wheels.

carrrnuttt
06-28-2003, 03:20 PM
You better listen, the GOD has spoken...:wink:

-The Stig-
06-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by carrrnuttt
You better listen, the GOD has spoken...:wink:

Pffff... He's nothing special. :grinno:

LSR
06-28-2003, 03:56 PM
The Supra is just as good as the Skyline.

There are many drag Skylines with RWD (modifications to the ATTESSA-ETS). Granted, the Skyline has some serious kit with 4 wheel intelligent steering (Super HICAS Pro) and the aforementioned ATTESSA-ETS torque splitter. A RWD car has its advantages to a 4WD car, but then the driver's preferences come into play. Hell, I have even heard of 6 second Supras, Supras with 900bhp on a stock bottom end, and Supras that are good on the track.

-The Stig-
06-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by LSR

There are many drag Skylines with RWD (modifications to the ATTESSA-ETS). Granted, the Skyline has some serious kit with 4 wheel intelligent steering (Super HICAS Pro) and the aforementioned ATTESSA-ETS torque splitter. A RWD car has its advantages to a 4WD car, but then the driver's preferences come into play. Hell, I have even heard of 6 second Supras, Supras with 900bhp on a stock bottom end, and Supras that are good on the track.

:bs: Show me this mythecal 6 Second Supra please.

TatII
06-28-2003, 06:35 PM
while the supra is a nice simply tried and trued sports car, RWD and powerful motor, the skyline is a technological power house. with all the technology behind it, the skyline is a very very good overall car. the skyline is known to acelerate well, but thats not what its really known for. its known for its extreme ease of being able to be driving hard and fast. it makes any amatuer driver look like a pro. the skyline can probrably do a lap more then a minute faster then a supra at the nurburing. the skyline is one of hte very very few cars in the world that can break the 8 minute barrier at the nurbring ( an 11 mile race track ) the older R33 GT-R vspec II was able to do the track in 7:59 seconds. and during that time, it broke the world record for being the fastest mass produced car in world. just to let you know how fast that is, the Z06 for '04 just broke the 8 minute barrier this year during its testing and it only beat a skyline that is 7 years old by 3 seconds. you see where i'm gettin at now?

igor@af
06-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by LSR

I don't argue with Supra being a great car; it is. All I said was that for drag racing a 4wd car would be much better for traction reasons, and since so many people identify a good car with the practicality of modifications for drag racing purposes, I said what I said.
You're completely right though, for example, in JGTC (Japan Grand Touring Car Championship) all the Skyline are stripped to RWD. They have around 450-550 horses and compete against Supras, NSXs, Vipers, and even McLaren F1 GT-Rs.

http://www.jgtc.net/race/2003/03r1/031grid.htm
Look at the starting grid -> the a Skyline GT-R has the pole position.
And here are the results -> http://www.jgtc.net/race/2003/03r1/031resu.htm
Notice how the McLaren F1 GT-R took the last place out of the 13 competing in the class GT500.

Sorry... started rambling on...

TatII
06-28-2003, 06:40 PM
wasn't the reason why the skyline was striped of its AWD and 4wheel steering was becasue when the R32 first came out it won 56 out of 56 races, and it totally destroyed the group A racing in japan. the car was demned "unstopable" so they had to start a new racing series with stricter regulations, such as that having AWD is no long allowed along with 4 wheel steering? and that happend during 94 i believe and that was the first year the skyline didn't take home the champion ship. it was the tom's supra. that i think thats the current japanese grand touring champion ships that we see today.

edit: there is a post about a Z06 racing a R34 GT-R and they lapped within a few tenths of a second from each other. not bad for a car with less power and weights around 400lbs more.

igor@af
06-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Good info TatII, never heard that details on the R32 fiasco before.
The GT-R is truly an awesome automobile, call me crazy, but I'd take a GT-R over any car. Like an R33 LM with an N1 engine block.:thumbsup:

R1-rider
06-28-2003, 06:55 PM
The skyline is great car no doubt, with near limitless power potential, and one of the best things i like is the LCD HUD on the r34 (its just so sexy). However i would still rather have a rx-7 with a 20b anyday of the week.

DeViL
06-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Shit well since we're talking about Skylines seems like Fuelsluts are as well. Found this on their kill stories forum.

http://www.exvitermini.com/mr33.htm

RACER D12
06-28-2003, 08:04 PM
I dont know if I agree with AWD being better for drag racing than RWD. If thats ture how come the fastest dragsters are Rwd? Awd does give you better traction but you lose more power with Awd before it can get to the ground than Rwd. Also Awd is good at first but once you grip you dont want 4wd any more. Thats one of the things that I find so cool about the Skyline once you have traction it sends most of the power to the rear wheels:bigthumb:

Gti_vr6_racer
06-28-2003, 08:16 PM
dont forget that rwd is used in the funny cars because awd systems are extremly cumbersome!

Shinez
06-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Both cars are equally matched, each have their strong sides...The Skyline is just a much better car out of the box..Yes a Supra CAN have rediculous HP Numbers, but not many supra's make use of their #'s till the 90+ MPH range....

The Skyline GT-R's downsides are
Ceramic turbo's (Stock) which are awful..
moderately Heavy car (BNR34 and BNR33). Which weighted 1540KG

The Toyota Supra's downsides are
Sequential Turbo's which has a bad effect on reliability
it revs very low stock
And it's not that LIGHT of a RWD car weighting in at 1490 KG

If you have a R32 GTR it only weights 1470KG Still has an RB26DETT and still has AWD, which will no doubt outperform a Supra on both a 1/4 and a Road course...The skyline has the advantage on the road course because it redlines at 8000RPM's meaning it can stay high up in the powerband through the corners, not to mention the AWD exit speed is alot higher than that of a RWD.

The skyline is easily the overall better of the 2 cars simply because it can compete with both AWD classes and RWD classes very well..but then again it also does come down to personal prefference...

And as far as RWD being better for drag racing...You have to remember that it does depend on what you're goal is...I mean..
The fastest 4 cyl's in the US are mostly AWD.

2of9
06-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Skylines r jus those kinda "SPECIAL" cars, thats y:iceslolan i like the Skyline GTR cuz i think jus a couple mods to the Skyline, it could already beat those Exotic cars. the Supra is really fast on topspeed, and thats the only reason i like the Supra

DeViL
06-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Yeah but that Funny car 5.0L turbo 4-cylinder Integra, was rwd. That thing did what 5's?

I agree to a point though a lot of people who aren't going to go all out like that Integra use AWD. But thats mainly because most 4-cylinder cars come with either FWD or AWD, RWD is rarely available.

-The Stig-
06-29-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by DeViL

Yeah but that Funny car 5.0L turbo 4-cylinder Integra, was rwd. That thing did what 5's?

I agree to a point though a lot of people who aren't going to go all out like that Integra use AWD. But thats mainly because most 4-cylinder cars come with either FWD or AWD, RWD is rarely available.

I believe its only a 4liter 4 cylinder and it's projected to run in the 6's... Last I heard it hasnt been fully tested yet and not run on the track... could be wrong though.

igor@af
06-29-2003, 08:14 AM
There is a 4wd Skyline GT-R that runs 6s.....

LSR
06-29-2003, 08:46 AM
6 second Supra - I'll have to find it.

Even though a Skyline could go into a corner quick(er), the Supra can still powerslide into the corner, which is faster than not. But then there is that phrase: Slow In, Fast Out.

RWD vs. AWD - preference and aim of driver. E.g., if you are trying to make a drift car, a Supra would be the better choice. We all want different things.

Donham
06-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by igor@af
The main difference is that Skyline has a very sophisticated 4wd system and suspension. Supra is RWD. In drag racing, a 4wd/Awd car will kill a rwd car. That is why there are so many 10 second Eclipse GSXs.
If you have 800hp going to the wheels, you'd want to pair that with traction, and the only way to do that is to deliver the power to all 4 wheels.

Thats why you see 8000 hp cars run 4''s in the quarter with ONLY RWD, thats why Pro stock cars run 6's and have ONLY RWD,.. and all the other racing dicisions run REAR weel drive, they are allowed to run FWD or ALL-Weel Drive if they wanted to...

For small HP cars running up to 500 hp, All weel drive might be the better choice, but once you start making over 600-800 hp, the engine has so much power, the car's weight trasfer is so intense, either the front weels come off the ground or they have minimall front tire pressure on the ground to make a differnace...
Thats why the quickest street cars are pretty much RWD... not just domestic...
The quickest 1/4 mile japan made cars are either Supra or RX7's... RWD cars...

You take a Skyline to 1200 hp and a supra to 1200 hp.. with good rear rubber, both are going to have front weels off the ground at launch... What good is a extra are spinning in the front, it's more fritcion for the drivetrain, it's more weight, DEAD weight at that...

I aggree with you that a 500 hp Skyline and a 500 HP supra would be a differant story with moderate hard compound street tires... The RWD Supra would spin with the crap rubber, while the AWD Skyline even with hard crap rubber will launch cause .. Well you know why.. Niether car would put too much weight transfer to the rear of car to make the front axle unworthy like both with 1200 hp and big sticky rubber ..

AWD cars are for mile mods, while Rear weel drive is more efficient for cars running 9s 8's 7's 6's etc etc..

good day

scott

RazorGTR
06-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Two completely different Japanese super cars but fun to compare them.

Out of the box:
Off the show room floor they have been compared time and time again in Japan. In the 1/4 the GTR's were on average 1.7 secs quicker.
Top speed the Supra was faster due to areodyamics but a few kmh.
Around a local circut the GTR was over 10 sec quicker in a 3 lap race due to its superior handling and explosviness out of the corners.

92 R32 GTR vs 96 Supra RZ:
A very good friend of mine has a 96 RZ. When he first got the car his best 1/4 14.4 . It had pod filters, exhaust, front mount running 1.1 bar of boost. I managed 12.8 with exhaust, pod filters, running 1 bar. These times were done on normal every day street tyres. In order for him to go quicker he has changed the sequential turbo setup to a parralle setup with larger turbos, custom manifold, bigger injectors, Mickey thompson's, AV gas, cams, and Power FC. He has managed now an 11.4. I've since only done a front mount and had the factory ecu chipped and I'm down to 12.1 He's also pushing 356kw (477hp) at the wheels while I am at 260kw (348hp) at the wheels. You can see there is a huge power difference yet his times are not much off mine. There is another R32 GTR which has around the same power output that has run 11.1 on his daily used street tyres not mickey's. The whole thing is traction. BTW those times by the GTR's were in full street trim. No weight taken out of the car what so ever.

Take that same supra and anyone can ask Greame it is a handful in the dry with street tyres let alone in the wet. The GTR's are just fun :)

You can make any car go quick. At the end of the day it what will it take? In the world of drag racing of street cars 4wd will be quicker than 2wd given the same power out put vs weight of the car if you are required to use daily used street tyres. I am not talking about cheater slicks, Hosiers, or Mickey Thompson ET's. There is also more that can go wrong with a 4wd or awd car obviously.
Turn these two Japanese monsters into full blown drag cars, give them the same power output, and put them on racing slicks the 2wd cars will now stand their own and begin to run quicker times. But is drag racing a true test of a cars performance? It is and it isn't. For out right acceleration it is a good test, but how many proper 2wd drag cars can go around a road circut? Ok lets go further. Take that RZ supra earlier and put it on a road course with the same tyres as it needs to run comprable times on the drag strip. Put a GTR out there with its street tyres and see what happens. Those soft drag tyres will over heat and become greasy within a lap or tow at most. Not to mention the brake balance has been upset. So now we have a car that will not corner very well, explode out of the corner, and brake like pig. I hope some of you can see where I am going with this.

For a very good all around package, the Skyline GTR is hard to beat. Sure as mentioned you can get any car to be quick with special gear designed for a specific application but put it with all that special gear into a different element or racing discipline and the car is like a fish out of water.

I do quite like the RZ Supra. It is one mean bastard without a doubt and has one of the strongest if not the strongest bog standard bottom end engine ever to come out of Japan. The GTR is just a better all around car is all.

For you guys in the States if you had Skyline GTR's imported there from the begining there would be plenty in the 6's and 7's by now with the R&D that would have been done to them. Just as the States has the biggest population of Honda Civics in the world of drag racing in the 9's and 10's.

NSX-R-SSJ20K
06-29-2003, 12:24 PM
a six second supra with only 900hp thats a good trick considering HKS could only do 7.22 with 1422hp altho they weren't running full boost when they did that run.

Donham
06-29-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Shinez
Both cars are equally matched, each have their strong sides...The Skyline is just a much better car out of the box..Yes a Supra CAN have rediculous HP Numbers, but not many supra's make use of their #'s till the 90+ MPH range....

The Skyline GT-R's downsides are
Ceramic turbo's (Stock) which are awful..
moderately Heavy car (BNR34 and BNR33). Which weighted 1540KG

The Toyota Supra's downsides are
Sequential Turbo's which has a bad effect on reliability
it revs very low stock
And it's not that LIGHT of a RWD car weighting in at 1490 KG

If you have a R32 GTR it only weights 1470KG Still has an RB26DETT and still has AWD, which will no doubt outperform a Supra on both a 1/4 and a Road course...The skyline has the advantage on the road course because it redlines at 8000RPM's meaning it can stay high up in the powerband through the corners, not to mention the AWD exit speed is alot higher than that of a RWD.

The skyline is easily the overall better of the 2 cars simply because it can compete with both AWD classes and RWD classes very well..but then again it also does come down to personal prefference...

And as far as RWD being better for drag racing...You have to remember that it does depend on what you're goal is...I mean..

Well, I'm not comparing the prue stock Supra vs pure stock Skyline...
I said with mods, many car here in america are quicker than another... but with the same $$ in mods the other kills the other...
The Skyline comes from the factory more built or closer to the max than the supra..

Both engin blocks can withstand around 1200 hp if not mistreated and ran hard all the time... with the same boost no one is better than the other if new parts are installed...
Plus the Supra is more areodynamic looking. the skyline is like boxy looking...
So the quickest RWD cars run 6's,

The quickest 4 popper is supost to run 5's and is RWD, and 5.0 ltrs..
the quickest RWD cars run 4's... and they have rules to make em slow down,...
a Cubic inch limmit, rear gear limmit, weight limmiedt, tons of limmits... those RWD cars would run 3's easy in the 1/4 mile if restrictions where not so strict..

We nbow have door slammers here in USA that run 5's... with RWD....
but thats another story as it's a domestic...
The Supra and RX-7 are "IT" for japan 1/4 mile cars.... a few rare Bill gates money Skylines might keep up, but I'm talking $ vs $ in mods (not $ vs $ for the cars, it would be even worse then)...

The reason for this tread is I hear all this "man if the Japan Skyline was over here BLAA BLAA BLAA, and "you guys get the De-tuned slower Skyline BLAA BLAA BLAA!"

Believe me, we Yanks have the quickest Jap cars right here in the States .. As most people with a 8-10 year old Supra or RX-7 already have some mods on it...
The Japan model Skyline would be nothing new or no shock here.. or niether get no more respect than a Camaro or Supra..
It would get attention only cause it's new.

scott

LSR
06-29-2003, 02:48 PM
The LCD HUD in the Skyline R34 GT-R is the MFD.

It shows 9 engine paremeters (boost up to 2 bar when you get the Japanese Nismo model, injector information - pressure I think, etc etc).

It has a G meter - lateral Gs, Acceleration Gs

The MFD can download/transfer 4 minutes of data from the MFD onto a laptop - all cables and software is supplied with the car.

We got the R34 in the UK :smile:

carrrnuttt
06-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Donham

Well, I'm not comparing the prue stock Supra vs pure stock Skyline...
I said with mods, many car here in america are quicker than another... but with the same $$ in mods the other kills the other...
The Skyline comes from the factory more built or closer to the max than the supra..

Both engin blocks can withstand around 1200 hp if not mistreated and ran hard all the time... with the same boost no one is better than the other if new parts are installed...

a Cubic inch limmit, rear gear limmit, weight limmiedt, tons of limmits... those RWD cars would run 3's easy in the 1/4 mile if restrictions where not so strict..

The Supra and RX-7 are "IT" for japan 1/4 mile cars.... a few rare Bill gates money Skylines might keep up, but I'm talking $ vs $ in mods (not $ vs $ for the cars, it would be even worse then)...

The reason for this tread is I hear all this "man if the Japan Skyline was over here BLAA BLAA BLAA, and "you guys get the De-tuned slower Skyline BLAA BLAA BLAA!"

Believe me, we Yanks have the quickest Jap cars right here in the States .. As most people with a 8-10 year old Supra or RX-7 already have some mods on it...
The Japan model Skyline would be nothing new or no shock here.. or niether get no more respect than a Camaro or Supra..

scott

A few questions:

Who are you?

What is your REAL purpose in here?

You are very subtle, indeed, but all I seem to sense from you is an urge to spew your propaganda, characterized by your signature. If you haven't sensed it by now, most everybody in here is capable of appreciating ALL cars...of any make, any model...since most of us see the merits in them.

The question you started in this thread is questionable in itself. It's like you're wondering what all the fuss is about. If you don't understand by now, I don't think you ever will.

BTW, who are you to say what's "IT" in Japan racing? Are you our resident Japanese racing expert now? Have you even been to Japan? I doubt if you've even EVER spoken to Japanese person, the way you talk sometimes.

DeViL
06-29-2003, 04:31 PM
There isn't anything wrong with it but lets face it, the reason why it is thought of as being special is because of the thousands of ricers who gawk all over the pictures and videos on the internet. You'll find many of those ricer kids talk about the thing like its the ultimate car because it's never really been said what the real hp/torque is and there is no way to find out in America since it isn't shipped here (and don't bring up that it can be shipped over here there is a reason I didn't bother mentioning that).

So it's some big mystery car to these kids. There is another reason probably why they like the car better then the Supra as well. Take a look at that link I posted on a previous page which has a 1000+hp Skyline taking off down a drag strip. The thing takes off out of the hole fiercer then anything I've ever seen, much more menacing then a Supra. The Supra can make the same times though but that doesn't seem to matter.

And yet another reason is what was just posted, the little gadgets you get with it like that computer thing. That stuff is what sets it apart from most other cars and I think it's pretty neat.

Shinez
06-30-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Donham
[B]

Well as far as aerodynamics go...A Supra's drag coefficient is .33...yes the RZ model...

Now in terms of skyline's the lowest drag coefficient on a stock skyline is .27.. However the R33 has a stock drag coefficient of .35

I was speaking in terms of street 4 bangers...Not shoe boxes on tube chassis
And the quickest streetable 4 cyl is running 8.8 and it is a AWD

Skylines don't require "Bill gates" to own them in japan..it's just they're an elusive car

Well trust me....Here and every where in the states I've been or know someone from would awe over a bnr34 well before they ever did a Camaro...and probably a supra..

BlkCamaroSS
06-30-2003, 08:31 AM
I'd gawk over a Skyline, but I'd still keep my SS :biggrin:

Layla's Keeper
06-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by DeViL
There isn't anything wrong with it but lets face it, the reason why it is thought of as being special is because of the thousands of ricers who gawk all over the pictures and videos on the internet. You'll find many of those ricer kids talk about the thing like its the ultimate car because it's never really been said what the real hp/torque is and there is no way to find out in America since it isn't shipped here (and don't bring up that it can be shipped over here there is a reason I didn't bother mentioning that).

So it's some big mystery car to these kids. There is another reason probably why they like the car better then the Supra as well. Take a look at that link I posted on a previous page which has a 1000+hp Skyline taking off down a drag strip. The thing takes off out of the hole fiercer then anything I've ever seen, much more menacing then a Supra. The Supra can make the same times though but that doesn't seem to matter.

And yet another reason is what was just posted, the little gadgets you get with it like that computer thing. That stuff is what sets it apart from most other cars and I think it's pretty neat.

Well put Devil, though never quoting power figures as anything but "sufficient" didn't build up much hype about Bentleys. Although you've got to wonder what it took to make that 6000lb coupe run naught to 60mph in less than 7 seconds....

..... 400bhp and 600lb-ft of torque. Seriously. It's an all aluminum turbocharged 6.75L OHV V-8.

Anyways, to me, the Skyline doesn't represent some mythical, unstoppable beast but it does represent one of the pinnacles of the Japanese motor industry. It's a car that carries Nissan's banner in Japan, their flagship model, and fights with the flagships of the other Japanese makes; Honda-NSX, Mazda-RX7, Toyota-Supra.

Nissan takes great pride in the Skyline, and has made it an icon by consistently making it a memorable car. Its legend grew from a humble Prince sedanette, into a BMW/Alfa killing coupe in the early 70's (my favorite Skyline, the reknowned Hakosuka)http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/260000-260999/260554_14_full.jpg then to a comfortable touring coupe (for which they graciously witheld the racing bred GTR moniker, so as to not tarnish it) and then into the turbo monstrosity the press nicknamed Godzilla that we have today.

Why does the Vette have such a reputation? It uses the same engine as a primitive mid-line sport coupe and some trucks. Why is a Porsche 911 special? It's just a Beetle with extra cylinders. Why is any car special when it has the same basic principles of four tires and an internal combustion engine?

Because of what their manufacturers do to make them memorable, beautiful, and fun.

DeViL
06-30-2003, 12:58 PM
So in short be happy with your 350Z and shut up.......oh wait that wasn't the point.

Nissan sort of has 2 flagship cars. The Z cars being the flagship in America (since they are very popular over here), and the Skyline I guess is the Jap flagship car.

Well trust me....Here and every where in the states I've been or know someone from would awe over a bnr34 well before they ever did a Camaro...and probably a supra..
If the situation was switched, by that I mean the Skyline was sent over here and the Supra was only made in Japan, I bet you every person who nuts over that Skyline would act the same about the Supra.

Shinez
06-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Actually since the skyline...in it's GTR trim is no longer produced..The Z car is their flagship car...Seeing as how the Vq35DE is one hell of an engine...And considering the fact that even R32-33-34 owners have put turbo'd VQ35DE's into their cars....

Donham
06-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by carrrnuttt

A few questions:

Who are you?

What is your REAL purpose in here?

You are very subtle, indeed, but all I seem to sense from you is an urge to spew your propaganda, characterized by your signature. If you haven't sensed it by now, most everybody in here is capable of appreciating ALL cars...of any make, any model...since most of us see the merits in them.

The question you started in this thread is questionable in itself. It's like you're wondering what all the fuss is about. If you don't understand by now, I don't think you ever will.

BTW, who are you to say what's "IT" in Japan racing? Are you our resident Japanese racing expert now? Have you even been to Japan? I doubt if you've even EVER spoken to Japanese person, the way you talk sometimes.

You seem to be a little erked by my Signature, I admit I'm a little pro American, but doesn't mean I do not think Imports are not worth anything or talking about also, I have driven many of them...
And have friends who drive them...

I don't worship the Japanese cars, so you think I am degrading them... thats silly...
You seem to be a little biased to Japan cars, even though you claim to not be...
I would never assume your a bad person for that... my god "they are just cars" sure we love them, but it's not inmoral to like one over the other...

Now if I got on here and said.. "oh my gawd, the Skyline would kill everything here in America if they ever let the beast over here!" you'd be aprasing me left and right.

The Skyline is nothing here in America... only to the import fanatics who worship it... once it would come here... it's just another car...
We have Trucks over hre with All weel Steering... nothing new...

THe Supra has shown it can hang tough... here... without costing as much as a Skyline..

This Board is not a Import only board.... I know many import car owners are on here. So what does it have to do with my -EVER TALKING TO A JAPANESE PERSON... I have talked to many Asians through my life....
Matter of fact me and this Japanese American guy at Wal-Mart who was working there, but on break.. we was talking about computers for at least 1/2 hour.. video cards, game, sims, cpu's...

Will this make you sleep any better tonight? ???

You do not seem like a kid who flames everyone for not aggreeing with them... but it's obvyous I somehow have gotten under your skin...

cool down some

scott

Donham
06-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Octagon

Well put Devil, though never quoting power figures as anything but "sufficient" didn't build up much hype about Bentleys. Although you've got to wonder what it took to make that 6000lb coupe run naught to 60mph in less than 7 seconds....

..... 400bhp and 600lb-ft of torque. Seriously. It's an all aluminum turbocharged 6.75L OHV V-8.

Anyways, to me, the Skyline doesn't represent some mythical, unstoppable beast but it does represent one of the pinnacles of the Japanese motor industry. It's a car that carries Nissan's banner in Japan, their flagship model, and fights with the flagships of the other Japanese makes; Honda-NSX, Mazda-RX7, Toyota-Supra.

Nissan takes great pride in the Skyline, and has made it an icon by consistently making it a memorable car. Its legend grew from a humble Prince sedanette, into a BMW/Alfa killing coupe in the early 70's (my favorite Skyline, the reknowned Hakosuka)http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/260000-260999/260554_14_full.jpg then to a comfortable touring coupe (for which they graciously witheld the racing bred GTR moniker, so as to not tarnish it) and then into the turbo monstrosity the press nicknamed Godzilla that we have today.

Why does the Vette have such a reputation? It uses the same engine as a primitive mid-line sport coupe and some trucks. Why is a Porsche 911 special? It's just a Beetle with extra cylinders. Why is any car special when it has the same basic principles of four tires and an internal combustion engine?

Because of what their manufacturers do to make them memorable, beautiful, and fun.

Thats a Great post in explaining why the skyline is so special to some, I can see why some nissan admirers would like it...
Great explanation...
Everyone has thier own dream car..

scott

TatII
06-30-2003, 10:38 PM
the skyline name plate has been around for longer then the mustang. the original GT-R the 2.0 liter was beatin porsche around. also so what if a truck has all wheel steering? so does 240's and so does alot of other cars. the beauty about is, its that it does not work to any other cars advantage. in fact it actually makes them a handy cap. alot of owners of 240's with the 4 wheel steering disables them, same witht he 300ZX cause it makes handling unpredicatble. the 3000GT VR-4 has them too but they don't work too great on that car. the skyline GT-R is one of the only cars that can get it to work. and to get it work almost flawlessly unless you are a pro who is pushing the car past its limits. thats when it gets alittle hairy. but to most average or clubman class racers, it helps them alot.

DeViL
06-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Really when did they make the Skyline?

TatII
06-30-2003, 11:21 PM
the skyline name plate has been around since 1955. the first GT-R came out in 1968. that is the one that was beating porsches around and put the japanese sport car on the world map.

2of9
07-01-2003, 12:54 AM
Skylines will always be a GOD car for ME, bcuz I think that car is a good affordable (IF U R RICH AS HELL), and its really easy to make it hit 12s,11s, and around the 10 sec area, and still u can only do this IF U R RICH AS HELL. but the Skyline GTR will always be my favorite car. not those exotic sport cars. in MY opinon, if u gonna get a Lambo or Ferrari, get a skyline GTR and make it hit 10s or 9s if u r RICH AS HELL!!:bigthumb:

Shinez
07-01-2003, 01:45 AM
You don't have to be "RICH AS HELL"..to own a skyline..Hell, the devils of skyline importation...Motorex sells them for 19,000..it's just a matter of availibility..

RazorGTR
07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Seeing as how the Vq35DE is one hell of an engine...And considering the fact that even R32-33-34 owners have put turbo'd VQ35DE's into their cars....

Really? You must know more Skyline owners than anyone else. Out of the over 1000 skylines I've seen personally what you are saying has not been done.

So ok where did you get this "factual information"? The only Skylines I've ever seen with different engines in them besides the RB motor are in the JGTC.

Self
07-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by RazorGTR

Really? You must know more Skyline owners than anyone else. Out of the over 1000 skylines I've seen personally what you are saying has not been done.

So ok where did you get this "factual information"? The only Skylines I've ever seen with different engines in them besides the RB motor are in the JGTC.

LONG LIVE JGTC!!! I love JGTC. Yea, I've never heard or seen a Skyline/300ZX swap, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist! Could be entirely possible(the Supra-7 comes to mind:smile:).

YogsVR4
07-01-2003, 12:56 PM
I'll be high on the list of people who could give a rats ass about "potential" performance. Not many of us have the $$$$$ to sink into any car to get world class times. However, given simialar performance numbers for upfront cost, the Skyline is one ugly car for my money. When I chose my VR4 it was between it and an M3. I looked at the Supra but was put off by its looks so I certainly didn't buy one.

To those who own a Skyline - you got what you wanted. Its what any of us do with our money and needs/desires. Its just that I do not have any desire to see a Skyline in my driveway. Now the NSX on the other hand.....

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

DeViL
07-01-2003, 01:06 PM
There are a couple NSX's around my area, red and black. Those cars are so low to the ground :eek: it must be killer to go over a speed bump!

SkylineUSA
07-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Why are Skyline GTRs so special? Drive one, you will see.

It might not be the fastest in the 1/4, but that was not what the car was intended for, now was it.

Its a driving machine, until you actually drive one, you cannot judge it to another car.

I will at all costs, bring my GTR back with me to the states. Let me repeat, at all costs:wink:

TatII
07-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by YogsVR4
I'll be high on the list of people who could give a rats ass about "potential" performance. Not many of us have the $$$$$ to sink into any car to get world class times. However, given simialar performance numbers for upfront cost, the Skyline is one ugly car for my money. When I chose my VR4 it was between it and an M3. I looked at the Supra but was put off by its looks so I certainly didn't buy one.

To those who own a Skyline - you got what you wanted. Its what any of us do with our money and needs/desires. Its just that I do not have any desire to see a Skyline in my driveway. Now the NSX on the other hand.....

well like you said to each his own. i love the look of the skyline. i love its agressive lines. and angry front end, and its nice 4 circular haloed tail lights. but some people find it cartoony. you however are on the minority side of the opinion though:biggrin:

Shinez
07-01-2003, 09:20 PM
You want to know why the skyline is so special?...I'll sum it up here and we can end this

----Reason #1----
http://www.gripvideo.com/japangrippics/images/P1090068.jpg
----Reason #2----
http://www.supercars.net/PicFetch?pic=1997_nismo_400r-1.jpg
----Reason #3----
http://www.teamhinga.50megs.com/images/skyline.jpg

And last but not least
----REASON #4----
http://www.autolancia.com/skyline-GTR/preview/1986.jpg

TatII
07-01-2003, 10:09 PM
drool: anyone with a skyline want to trade theirs in for a turbo 240?

Donham
07-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Silver_GTR34
Skylines will always be a GOD car for ME, bcuz I think that car is a good affordable (IF U R RICH AS HELL), and its really easy to make it hit 12s,11s, and around the 10 sec area, and still u can only do this IF U R RICH AS HELL. but the Skyline GTR will always be my favorite car. not those exotic sport cars. in MY opinon, if u gonna get a Lambo or Ferrari, get a skyline GTR and make it hit 10s or 9s if u r RICH AS HELL!!:bigthumb:

I know you like the skyline, didn't say they was worthless, but I just do not see a remarkable advantage, or any advantage over the commen Supra or Camaro in the 1/4 mile....
a RICH person can make almost any car go 10's.....
lots of 12-11-10 second Camaro LT-1's etc...
There are lots of Mitsubishi Eclipses and other DSM's that can run 12's EASY, 11's are not any harder than the Skyline for that matter..

As for Track performance in the curves...
I honestly think Porcshe doesn't care much anymore about handling like they used to... Japan Rules in Cars that handle for the most part.... American and German cars needs alot of aftermarket parts to compete.. Porsches are geared to make money from Americans, and Americans like strait line and 1/4 mile performance... Porsche Deluivers bigtime...
in the turns maybe the skyline is king... a;long with it's much better than avg Strait line acceleration....

scott

Shinez
07-01-2003, 11:06 PM
I'm glad to finally see someone else who agree's that as of right now japan is the dominant force when it comes to turning...Because it's true, but alot of people are in denial...Sure there are other cars out there that can blow japan out of the water..but they're just 1 car out of the thousands that....Japan consistantly makes the better cars....

2of9
07-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Shinez, i agree wit u. Altho I think the American muscle does out run Imports 1/4. those O G racers hit like 6-7 seconds in 1/4 FROM WUT I SEEN. i think imports like the Skyline does kinda have it all, the drag, the turns and the rest of the stuff.:bigthumb:

Self
07-02-2003, 07:23 AM
I'm glad to finally see someone else who agree's that as of right now japan is the dominant force when it comes to turning...Because it's true, but alot of people are in denial...Sure there are other cars out there that can blow japan out of the water..but they're just 1 car out of the thousands that....Japan consistantly makes the better cars....

I love the Skyline, but "Reason's 3 and 4" were hardly the best examples you could have given. Niether of those were good-looking cars:frown:

Neutrino
07-02-2003, 07:44 AM

ok what about the fact that nissan is owned by renault....mitsubushi by daimler-chrysler......

they own the company they own the technology......

this whole american cars vs japanese vs euro....means nothing anymore.....multinational corporations took care of it.....

GTStang
07-02-2003, 07:48 AM
Here in the US the Skyline is more myth than fact. I wish they built they US versions not cause I like them but just so you could seem them perform at the track and on the street like you do Z06,ZX, S2000 etc..,

Neutrino
07-02-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by GTStang
Here in the US the Skyline is more myth than fact. I wish they built they US versions not cause I like them but just so you could seem them perform at the track and on the street like you do Z06,ZX, S2000 etc..,

well the new GTR 35 will be in the US in about 2 years so we'll see then

LSR
07-02-2003, 09:09 AM
I have two questions regarding the Skyline model lineup:

1) How many R34 models where there? I've heard of the GT-R, GT-S, and GT-T. I am assuming that GT-T is lowest spec model, as the GT-R is highest spec model (so it is going in order of last letter to earliest letter). And then there is the whole GT-S Type M, etc etc. Having a lot of models is good because the range is diversified for all models, but then the models become so similar (in the case of the R34 lineup) that they start to compete with each other, and harm the sales of one another. But then the consumer does get what he or she wants.

2) How many different GT-R R35 Skyline (I know the name Skyline is banned or something, but I love that name :wink:), models will there be, and for what market(s)? I am from the UK, and I am aware that there is:

-Infiniti G35 for USA.
-350Z for USA (coming to UK).
-What is the high performance next GTR model USA will get? Will it be an Infiniti or Nissan? What engine? I heard TT V6, but also V8? Model name?
-What is the UK getting? 350Z, I know. But what GT-R? Same as USA?

What other models will there be, and for what markets? Where are the engines coming from? I.E what model (I know it is a VQ engine, and I am pretty sure it is from an Infinit car).

Make that 3 questions....

3) Why is Nissan using a V6 TT? An I6 is far better. If it is for some reason out of Nissan's control, I am going to shoot myself (a reason like emissions, which I hate). I have heard that the VQ range of engines are tuneable, but will they still have the tuneability to 1000+bhp, which made the R34 so popular? Remember, tuneability is ONE of the things that made the GT-R what it is today. Will there still be space in the engine bay?

These are the only questions I cannot get my head around.

Neutrino
07-02-2003, 09:15 AM
well the R35 will come most likelly with a TT reinforced version of the VQ.....and inline 6 are that much better...true they have advantages but they are also quite larger....also the VQ its a work of art as an engine....

We don't have details yet on the G35 but it is sure it will show up all over the world.....if it comes in the US as a infiniti it will not make any difference.....except that you'll get better service from an infiniti dealership

Self
07-02-2003, 09:39 AM
A year and a half ago Car&driver(might have been Road&track, not sure, hehe) reported that the Skyline coming to the US would be unde the Infiniti badge and run with a 4.5L V8 making upwards of 400hp. More than likely WILL NOT happen, but I'd be purchasing one on May 8, 2005(graduation day) if it did come out like that:smile:

Shinez
07-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Well i'l just say this....The Infinity G35 lacks the vicious LSD the 350Z has..it lacks some HP and some TQ..i forgot the exact Numbers..and of course since it's a larger car..it has the weight over the 350Z aswell..however the Infinity G35 does have the sports package which can give it a .26 Drag coefficient due to it's flat chassis..

Add your comment to this topic!