Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Carbon Fiber

joe_fh
06-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know how to carbon fiber your dash. I have a 98 Civic Ex. I was also wondering if anyone knew where the really good places were to put the carbon fiber? Thanks.

moleodonuts
07-15-2003, 06:27 PM
you mean with one of those kits? I think you just glue it ontoppa the old one... but then again I've never done it. If that's not what you're talking about.... no clue then...:frown:

sp3cial_bl3nd
07-17-2003, 12:11 PM
people on ebay sell those kits that cover pretty much everything on your console. make sure you don't get too carried away though, because if you go too crazy it'll look tacky. just MY opinion though, it's YOUR car. :cheers:

moleodonuts
07-17-2003, 12:24 PM
yeah... never understood replacing something plastic with carbonfiber... you're not lightening anything... :confused:

sp3cial_bl3nd
07-17-2003, 12:41 PM
most people don't really use carbon fibre for its real purpose, which is to lighten something. unfortunately most people do it for looks. i would even suggest that most people who buy carbon fibre hoods don't really even care how much they weigh. they just want the look.

moleodonuts
07-17-2003, 12:55 PM
I guess I used to be that way... then I drove the fastest car I've ever seen. Our school's formula car. Puts out 65hp and goes 0-60 in 2.8s. From then on I've been on a quest to lighten my car as much as possible before I even touch the engine :tongue: Wanna see how far I can take it off its little 90 hp engine.

sp3cial_bl3nd
07-17-2003, 02:11 PM
u mean 650hp? :eek7:

moleodonuts
07-17-2003, 02:28 PM
nope 65, powered off this little yamaha motercycle engine. two people can carry the car around... has a fully computer controlled manual tranny, starts by an RC signal, so this laptop can start it from up to 1/2 away. Its a fun thing. They welcome people in the area to bring out their cars and race it b.c its funny to watch all these displacement heads bring there 600 hp camaros out and get owned :loser:

EDIT: here's a link btw: http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~sae/

sp3cial_bl3nd
07-17-2003, 02:45 PM
that would be pretty legit...

CivicLeader
07-22-2003, 12:37 AM
Yeah...the carbon fiber (look-alike kits) are just for show and if you do go overboard...like was said earlier...it's very tacky....looks good in moderation but you just have to use sense and taste until you get it to your liking...again....it is your car....
The real carbon-fiber kits are much more expensive but I don't think that there would be much weight loss when you're just replacing plastic with carbon fiber...unless you're going for true competition racing...in which you would just get rid of the entire interior anyway.....
Def. check out e-bay for the deals...
Happy decorating....

moleodonuts
07-22-2003, 10:29 AM
whaoh... that's the most productive thing I've ever seen written on AF.:eek:

CivicLeader
07-22-2003, 02:26 PM
LOL....really...I hope I didn't sound like aknow-it-all or anything...
If that's a compliment...then thank you...and if not...then oh well...
I think it's like anything...you get what you put into it...you just have to do yoru research and match it to what you want to accomplish!
and that's my $.02...
:bigthumb:

moleodonuts
07-22-2003, 02:39 PM
oh it was most definately praise

PS you missed an opportunity for one of these bad boys that nobody ever uses: :2cents:

:tongue:

CivicLeader
07-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Cool man...Thanks...
:2cents: -- I like it.....

<[4gen91CvcLX]>
07-27-2003, 01:41 PM
has anybody ever worked with the rolls of carbon fiber film? i've heard it takes alot of skill, but i was just wondering....

CivicLeader
07-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by <[4gen91CvcLX]>
has anybody ever worked with the rolls of carbon fiber film? i've heard it takes alot of skill, but i was just wondering....

naw but I hope someone posts some useful info cause I'd love to learn how....

come on ya'll.,..give us some posts....jackassi?

Add your comment to this topic!