Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shifting hard into 2nd but then fine after that.

figueroa419
03-21-2014, 01:25 PM
It happens after my car has been sitting for awhile, like in the morning or again in the afternoon when I go to pick up the kids at school. I back out of my driveway, put it into drive then after about 5 yards or so it hits hard into 2nd. I'm then at a stop sign and it hits second a bit softer after I've taken off from the stop sign but then dont feel it again for the rest of my drive even after stopping and going. My husband has checked the fluid level and it appears fine. Im just hoping someone maybe knows what might be wrong so when we get it checked out we've already got some idea. Thanks!

UPDATE: I've notice for the past couple of days this seems to have stopped happening. Now Im even more confused! Could it have something to do with the weird weather down here in South Texas? It is slowly warming up but some days its cold again then back to warm. Maybe the cold was affecting it but it would have given me problems before the end of winter then wouldn't it?

maxwedge
03-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Hmm, and the car/drivetrain is??

figueroa419
03-21-2014, 10:34 PM
2008 Ford Escape - 2.8 L, 2 wheel front end drive, 4 speed automatic, 4 cylinders

Anything else that might help?

shorod
03-22-2014, 08:34 AM
In 2008 I think you only get the choice of a 2.3L or a 2.5L in the 4-cylinder, no 2.8L. The V-6 was a 3.0L. Based on your symptoms that might not matter though as the transmission is the more likely culprit.

Have you ever noticed the OD Off light in the instrument cluster flashing or possibly a light that looks like a gear coming on or flashing? Both of these lights are probably yellow in color. If so, they would indicate a diagnostic code is stored for the transmission. Ford has had a lot of issues with other transmissions (not sure if your Escape commonly has the same issue) and the valve body / shift solenoid packs in the transmission. It's not a horribly expensive part or terribly difficult to change generally and can cause issues with reverse engagement or shifting.

-Rod

figueroa419
03-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Sorry I was having issues, 2.3 is what I meant. As far as check lights I have not seen any at all and the problem no longer seems to be happening.

jerryg2112
03-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Sounds like after the fluid starts to warm up it goes away. I had a similar problem on a different vehicle. Changed the fluid and filter and it went away. The cold fluid doesn't pass through the dirty filter but after it warms it thins then passes through ok.

figueroa419
03-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Well.... it appears as if the transmission filter cannot be changed without taking it apart. :shakehead

shorod
03-23-2014, 09:38 PM
That's pretty standard. To get to the transmission filter you need to remove the transmission pan. Not a huge deal. At least these transmissions now have a drain plug.

-Rod

figueroa419
03-23-2014, 09:44 PM
So if "transmission filter change" is a service Jiffy Lube provides it is something they would do? Once I saw that it is inside the transmission I figured that they would say no for my Escape.

jerryg2112
03-23-2014, 10:03 PM
It's a service that most garages do. Make sure that if you have it done somewhere that they change the filter too and not just the fluid. It is a typical scheduled maintenance item on most vehicles at 50,000 or 60,000 mile intervals.

figueroa419
03-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Ok thanks everyone! I will be taking it into Ford tomorrow (after reading all the horrible Jiffy Lube complaints)!

:lol2:

Hall1
04-01-2014, 02:07 AM
We have not had an update here for quite some time. I am personally wondering whether OP did in fact get the results that he was looking for by going to the Ford garage. One of my friends is having similar issues so I would be interested in learning a bit more about the results.

vitalmuncie
04-05-2014, 11:11 PM
may I recommend seafoam transtune.

Add your comment to this topic!