Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Name that Part!

TheChoob
05-28-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm rebuilding a 1975 4door Chevy Nova. It's my first project car and I have no automotive training or experience. I have recently read a textbook and watch a video on complete basic engine building and automotive basics from "ericthecarguy" youtube channel so I know the basics but there are some parts that I don't know about.

I have pictures of the parts I don't know about they are attached.

Thanks in advance for your help.

shorod
05-28-2013, 10:05 PM
The first image shows the heat riser that warms the carburetor's incoming air with heat from the exhaust manifold. That tube would connect to a port on the underside of the air cleaner housing.

The second photo is of the master cylinder and power brake booster assembly. The large "drum" is the brake booster, it uses engine vacuum to amplify pressure applied to the brake pedal by your foot. The master cylinder is the hydraulic reservoir that forces brake fluid to the wheel cylinder and brake pistons. The master cylinder is attached to the brake booster.

The third photo is of some sort of vacuum servo. These are attached to various items under the hood and without seeing what it's connected to, I'm not sure what it's function is. It could control the flow of engine coolant through the heater core when you set your temperature control to provide heat in the cabin. It might also be connected to a valve in the heat riser mentioned in photo 1's description above.

The 4th photo is of the alternator. The engine spins the alternator and, when working correctly, the alternator generates alternating current. The alternating current is rectified by the diode set and regulated to save levels by the voltage regulator. The current provided by the alternator is used to keep the battery charged.

The 5th photo appears to be showing the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve which meters exhaust back in to the intake to reduce emissions.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!