Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help my turn signals and hazards won't work

JLT89
07-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I just bought a 2002 Civic. One of the first things I did was put my aftermarket stereo and taillights in. Then when I went to drive it, my blinkers wouldn't work. I've checked fuses and bought a new flasher relay and they still wont work. Is it possible I disconnected a wire by accident? If a bulb is blown would it keep all the signals/hazards from working? I'm certainly no expert, so any help is appreciated.

shorod
07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
You mention that you installed aftermarket taillights. Did you install LED taillights? If so, did you also install load resistors to maintain the OEM flash rate by properly loading the flasher circuit? Have you confirmed that the brake lights work?

-Rod

JLT89
07-05-2012, 04:00 PM
You mention that you installed aftermarket taillights. Did you install LED taillights? If so, did you also install load resistors to maintain the OEM flash rate by properly loading the flasher circuit? Have you confirmed that the brake lights work?

-Rod

Nope no LEDs or anything special, just new custom covers.

shorod
07-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Okay, next step would be to pull out the test light and check for power to the bulb sockets using a known good ground on the test light. If the test light lights, then either your ground to the sockets is bad or the bulbs are all faulty. If the test light doesn't light, then you get to start tracing backwards. Do you have access to a lighting wiring diagram for your car?

-Rod

urania
07-06-2012, 03:55 AM
If the hazards and turn signals did not work, maybe the problem is the button or the relay, a wire somewhere or the bulbs have burned out.

Jeff Collision
07-06-2012, 06:16 AM
You may got in short in one of the wires or connections in the wrecked area. Inspect and replace any bad wires or connections.

shadows
07-06-2012, 08:54 PM
disconect every wire you connected up- most likely you tied into the wrong wire

JLT89
07-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Well I've narrowed it down to the hazard switch. I'm gonna get a new one and I wI'll post results. Thanks for all the replies.

Add your comment to this topic!