Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Disc brake: dust shield (backing plate)

WelmoedJ
04-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Most cars with disc brakes have a dust shield at the suspension side of the front brake rotor (regardless wether single or vented rotor).
The rear rotors usually don't have such shields.

At some of the brand fora the benefit/advantage of this shield is questioned.
Is one of you guys knowledgeable enough to pick up the torch and explain the function of the dust shield and if it can be removed without causing other problems to the braking system or should be left untouched?

Welmoed.

snshddog
04-23-2011, 06:16 AM
What I was tought was that shield is for helping direct airflow to aid in cooling the brakes. Some of the older vehicles I understand this as many times there are air scoops built into them. Newer cars I have yet to see this. All I have been able to come up with is to keep small stones from getting lodged in the caliper and jamming it. Do not take any of this as fact as I can't remember where I learned it so there is no referance.

shorod
04-23-2011, 08:56 AM
In addition to helping with air flow to the brakes and for keeping debris off the braking system, I suspect it's also to help keep water from splashing on the rotors which could accelerate warping.

-Rod

MagicRat
04-23-2011, 10:45 PM
it's also to help keep water from splashing on the rotors

I recall these are traditionally called "splash shields" and minimize the chance that brakes would get wet. Soaking wet disc brakes do not stop as well as dry ones.

Add your comment to this topic!