Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

check it out

chevyfreak
05-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Hey all, not too long ago i put a powered 10" KLH home theater sub in my car, it worked so good i decided to put 2 of those in and ditch my 2 12" mtx subs. I do have ?. in order to run the sub i have to hook up a 12v to 120v power convertor so i can get power to the beast. The thing needs 120v to run properly. My ? is if i wanted to hook up two of them off of one power convertor would i need a 12v to 240v since there is two of them that both need 120v??? Also would this be safe for my cd player and etc.????
Thanks-

Flatrater
05-18-2003, 07:39 PM
Your answer is no you don't need 240V. All you need is a convertor with 2 taps. Just like your home you don't need 240 at an outlet to run 2 things, you only need 120V.

mtkohl
05-21-2003, 08:37 AM
I'm gonna be an a$$ here and first tell you that it is a Power INVERTER you are using......not a CONVERTER. Coverters convert AC power (usually 120 Volts) to DC power.....Inverters do the opposite.

:) sorry.......I am an electrical engineer

Okay, this is going to be a long-drawn out explanation so I apologize.

That said, just be careful that those powered subs don't over-work your power inverter. You can buy inverters of various power capabilities, so just like when you install a new car amp/subs, you have to check the peak ratings of your equipment against what your electrical system can handle. If the inverter can only produce 300 watts of AC power but your powered subs demand 350 combined, you'll blow the fuse in the inverter.

Also, if your battery and alternator can't produce that 300 or 350 watts anyway, you are wasting your time. Power inverters aren't a magical device. They, like all other electronic devices, can only output as much power or energy as they have available for use. That 300 watts still comes from the car's electrical system. Also keep in mind that you lose A LOT of power just in the inverting process (you have noticed that the thing gets warm I'm sure) and even more in the coverting process (the AC power adapter that runs the subs).

I would suggest keeping your MTX subs and getting a better box. That is the only reason the home theatre sub sounds better.....its ported correctly. Get a properly ported or properly sized sealed enclosure and I think you will have better results....and won't wear as heavily on the vehicles electrical system. JUST A SUGGESTION. Otherwise, theoretically.......just get an appropriate wattage power inverter with 2 taps. Don't be shocked if your performance degrades significantly (no promises)

Be careful...be safe!!

Pikachoo
05-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by mtkohl

sorry.......I am an electrical engineer

Damn sparky's.... :D :D :D :D :D
J/J man, I'm a mechanical engineer... just had to rag on ya!!!:sun: :sun:

spdracr87
05-23-2003, 11:31 PM
yeah or u could just say yoru cavy sucks compared to my crx buddy hell yeah wait for me o pimp it up i know it sucks now but hey eat m dust biznitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!111:smoker: j/p man yoru cavy is tight and his sound is tight i love it u all he just needs to change ou this stock speakers and get a after market alt.

z33_Tec
05-24-2003, 04:50 PM
lol.. crx

spdracr87
05-24-2003, 10:18 PM
crx that i cant drive yet cuz of nto driveing manuals for liek ever

chevyfreak
05-25-2003, 01:17 PM
haha hey, Nate you lil whore. <---this guy lives right by me and i think he wants to race:D haha, ya better watch how u talk about the cavys here, ya might be sorry when my cavy sends your crx to the graveyard. heehehehe

Flatrater
05-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by mtkohl
:) sorry.......I am an electrical engineer

I feel for you dude!

As for convertor invertor who cares? The point was can he do it and the answer is yes. So I didn't use the proper name does it really matter I think not. Just so you know I am a auto tech who has to unravel your mess that you guys design!

mtkohl
05-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Flatrater

I feel for you dude!

As for convertor invertor who cares? The point was can he do it and the answer is yes. So I didn't use the proper name does it really matter I think not. Just so you know I am a auto tech who has to unravel your mess that you guys design!

Well, for one, I care. Hate to mislead someone just to have them look like an ass later. ;) And just so you know, I don't have a damn thing to do with automotive electric systems. And I never said he couldn't do it....I just said it was not the best way to go.
I wasn't joking when I said its going to wreak havoc on the cars electrical system. It will. Thats just the nature of the small car. And I know a thing or two about audio signals and waves, and believe me, there are better ways. He can take my advice or leave it. I was just making a suggestion about something I have some knowledge of.

And the the M.E. who replied.........BRING IT!! j/k

Add your comment to this topic!