Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Perfect Conditions for Storing Models + decals

MidMazar
07-07-2010, 12:08 AM
So recently i moved to two story cape house and unloaded all my models in a room upstairs. But can't seem to bare leaving my models up here any longer as the temp here in the summer exceeds well over 85 degrees F. Today was a record breaking temp of 105. As the days go by im becoming more and more afraid that this will ruin most of the decals. Also the area where i live typically tends to be very humid. So what would be better basement or upstairs to store my models? Basement is more humid, but upstairs is a lot hotter.

I plan on getting a dehumidfier and a window ac unit as i don't want to run the central air all the time.

My main question to you guys would be, what temperature and humidity are the best to store models and decals?

BTW I would imagine low humidity with a 65 degree temp, but would like some input.

Thanks

cinqster
07-07-2010, 04:36 AM
So recently i moved to two story cape house and unloaded all my models in a room upstairs. But can't seem to bare leaving my models up here any longer as the temp here in the summer exceeds well over 85 degrees F. Today was a record breaking temp of 105. As the days go by im becoming more and more afraid that this will ruin most of the decals. Also the area where i live typically tends to be very humid. So what would be better basement or upstairs to store my models? Basement is more humid, but upstairs is a lot hotter.

I plan on getting a dehumidfier and a window ac unit as i don't want to run the central air all the time.

My main question to you guys would be, what temperature and humidity are the best to store models and decals?

BTW I would imagine low humidity with a 65 degree temp, but would like some input.

Thanks

The best conditions for plastics depends upon their composition. Different plastics have different 'glass transitions' so stopping the environment getting too cold is important too. For most polystyrenes I would think 50-60 is best. I would want the RH to be <40%, especially for the decals.

IMHO, take the decals out of the kit boxes and store them in a draw in your living area if the conditions are better than the loft or basement.

There's some more useful stuff here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1015285

Can the mods sticky this thread please - there are quite a few questions like your own, being asked recently.

Good luck!

white97ex
07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I keep my decals in a big plastic zip loc type bag. that way they are free of moisture. for an extra measure you can put a desicate, or silicate pack to help remove any moisture inside the bag

Add your comment to this topic!