Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Civic 1.5l vtec "mysterious overheating"

Kamereno
12-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I have a 96 civic ex which had a blown head gasket and was overheating, so i installed a jdm 1.5. The problem still occurs. Now i narrowed down, i have new radiator, thermostat/ hoses belts. I also noticed the check engine light doesn't come on when ignition is turned on so i checked the fuses and my abs fuse box is getting power exept for the slot for check engine fuse so i am gonna get a new abs fuse box, then i will check for codes.

One of my friends said it might be cpu, but if anyone has any idea please let me know thanks :confused:

Ps: oil looks good, no bubbles in radiator when it starts, and cooland lines and vaccum seem to bee right.

DownToGround
12-31-2009, 01:49 PM
sound like your thermostat ground wire isnt connected, check engine light wont come on if not connected.

Kamereno
01-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I looked after you said that, and it apears to be a ground hooked up to the thermastat housing. but the check engine light doesnt come on when i turn the ignition "you know all working dash lights should come on momentarily, when key is turned to on posision" im probably gonna order an abs fuse box from ebay if i cant fix the one i have..... :icon16:

DownToGround
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
have you plugged a obd2 reader in..

Kamereno
01-20-2010, 09:07 AM
tried it i think the check engine has been bypassed for smog related reasons but i need to get that working asap, ill let you know when i get new abs fuse-box, check motor fusebay is not getting power, hopefully that works
:iagree: :bricks1:

Kamereno
02-08-2010, 08:30 AM
:banghead: just tried to run it without catalitic converter still overheating

still havent got abs fusebox i guess that will be the next thing ill keep posted when I do

what about distributer, im using same one that i had for the american 1.6 liter and the motor i got is jdm 1.5 both v-tec though
I you guys might be able to help let me know

Add your comment to this topic!