Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Main Wiring Harnass

edross54
11-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi All,
My first time to post.
I need help.
I am restoring the interior of 1980 MGB USA, GVVDJ2AG509439. Depressed now. Evyting out of interior except the dashboard ( and all gauges, switches, etc that are in the dash ). Dash & gauges in fine shape. THEN, as I was test fitting console w new stereo in it, the green/white wire ( With power all the time ) came apart,Without inline fuse attached yet ( SO STUPID OF ME !! ) It shorted on body frame, & FRIED. Smoke & all. I feel so bad !! Can I get main harness out without removing the dash??That is the main harness, right. It feeds the console, and also has connector to feed the under seat harness. ?? Should I remove harness & replace whole thing?? Can I just replace green/white wire, and any other damaged wires in harness individually? Harnesses that go up steering column look OK, I will remove column cover & inspect better. Under-dash harness appears untouched. Dont know yet what other wires in main harness melted when green/white melted.
I have new interior kit, it just arrived. Now I feel so bad that I was planning to re-assemble, & now I may have to remove dash. I never did this before, hate tight work, ( cry, cry cry ).
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. This is my first MGB restore, but I have done other brith cars..TR-6, Jag XJ6.Will try to attach pic so you can see where I'm at.
Thanks for help
Also, Is this the right way to post this problem? I started a new topic, did I do it right? shoud I be posting this somewhere else??

Ed Ross

paul J
07-10-2010, 08:14 AM
ED, If it were me, I'd remove the dash, but before disconnecting the wires, tag them! You'll never remember where they all go. After the dash is out, remove the wrapping from the wires and see what's burnt. You can replace the individual wires if needed and then re-wrap. Moss has the tape. Lousy job to do. I had to replace the whole harness on the 72. Here's a photo.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/PJ161/British%20Cars%20MGB/0683239-R1-010-3A.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!