Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need some help please

exocet
03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
A few months back, i purchased a 1992 Prelude Si with a 1995 H22A1 Vtec swap. I had nothing to do with the swap and i am just learning about tuning hondas and what not. I have a little knowledge but not much. My problem is simple. No Vtec. I have asked many people, and friends who have dealt with hondas before. I am told that the reason for my Vtec not kicking in @5200 rpms is simply because i have the wrong ECU. Apparently previous owner who swapped the engine, failed to swap the ECU as well. Also, it looks like they just hooked some random ass wire to solinoid and directly back to the ECU. Im asking if some can explain to me exactly which ECU i need(the numbers confuse me) and how to go about swapping the ECU. Thank you all who reply. I would really like to get it working for that extra power.

CivicSpoon
03-20-2009, 11:11 AM
You need an ECU with the code of P13. Also make sure to get the correct ECU, depending on whether you have a manual or automatic transmission. To replace the ECU, you first start by pulling back the carpet under the dash on the passenger side. There is a metal bracket holding the ECU down, that needs to be unbolted. If I remember correctly, the Preludes have a big bracket (compared to the Civics and Integras), and the ECU is actually bolted to the bottom side of it. So when you unbolt the bracket, you may have to wiggle it up, and slide your hand under it to unplug the harness from the ECU (3 plugs). Simply unbolt the stock ECU from the bracket, and bolt on the new ECU. Then it's just the reverses.

If your car does have the big bracket, it can be a pain to get it back in. Just try to wiggle it back and forth, try getting the bottom in first or try getting in the top first, and make sure to pull back the carpet enough to get it out of your way.

Add your comment to this topic!