Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

d15b2 block z6head and y8 intake

jaysonward
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
i bought a 97 civic from someone and it had a mini me swap in it.. its got a d15b2 block with i believe to be a d16z6 head with a d16y8 head on it.. the cars idle jumps and throws a knock sensor code a map sensor code and sometimes a iacv code.. the cars ecu is still a p2p...what ecu should i have and what wiring harness.. someone please help me out on this.. i am stumped and mentaly exhausted..

CivicSpoon
01-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Was the car originally an EX, CX, DX, or LX? If it was originally a a CX, DX, or LX, then there would be a minor wiring difference for the IACV, which I believe throw the code. The EX has a 2-wire IACV (that your current ECU would look for), and the others have a 3-wire IACV. Check to see which one you have, the next time you pop your hood. If you have a 3-wire, then you'll need to make some changes. Here's some info to change it, if this is the case.
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98.jpg - Scroll downfor the IACV part.
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98_a-plug.jpg

Having a bad MAP sensor, or bad wiring for it, will also definitely be an issue with the engine running correctly. And the knock sensor not working will effect the VTEC engagement at higher RPMS; it simply won't (or at least shouldn't) engage. If there isn't a threaded hole on the back of the block for the sensor to screw it, it's going to be an issue. Of course if you have a hole that's just not threaded, you can thread it for the sensor.

As for the ECU, being that it's a mini-me setup, there really isn't a specific ECU available without chipping one and getting it tuned. If you're having issues with the current one (or the knock sensor is a problem), you could get a '92-'95 Civic P28 ECU and an OBD2A to OBD1 conversion harness. But if you have to pass some kind of emmisions testing, or an OBD2 testing for your inspection, that will not be an option.

The wiring harness you should have is the stock one for the car. The '96-'00 Civic have a 1-piece harness, which goes from the engine directly to the ECU. The '92-'95 Civics and all the Integras have a 2-piece harness. The 1st piece is from the engine to the passenger side shock tower, and the 2nd is from the shock tower to the ECU. So you couldn't use a '92-'95 Civic or Integra engine harness on your car, unless you took out the complete harness (engine harness and the harness under the dash) and replaced it with a different one.

jaysonward
01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
the car is a 97 civic ex.. i do have the factory wire harness.. so all i should have to do is add a knock sensor no other wiring. like for the vtech or anything else

CivicSpoon
01-28-2009, 03:47 PM
If you're using the original EX harness, then you should just need to install the knock sensor into the back of the block and plug it in to the existing plug. All of the wiring should already be there.

jaysonward
01-28-2009, 08:26 PM
thanks alot got every code under control but the idle problem is still present. when my car is on i plug up the intake to choke the car of air and it actually makes the car idle around 800rpm instead of die. so i think i have a vacum leak some where

Add your comment to this topic!