Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fitting New Pistons To Mgb

howzee
12-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi all i fitted a supercharger to my mgb 1974 rubber bumper roadster,
The problem is that i was driving home one night,and blown piston ring and chiped a piston,THERE IS NO DAMAGE TO CYLINDER WALLS
I have took the head off and can see that number 4 piston is broken as above ,i was just wondering is it possiable to take the sump of with engine still in car and is possiable to just change one piston and rings
The engine has only done 10,000 miles or less

howzee
12-15-2008, 12:24 PM
[quote=howzee]Hi all i fitted a supercharger to my mgb 1974 rubber bumper roadster,
The problem is that i was driving home one night,and blown piston ring and chiped a piston,
THERE IS NO DAMAGE TO CYLINDER WALLS ETC
I have took the head off and can see that number 4 piston is broken as above ,i was just wondering is it possiable to take the sump of with engine still in car and is possiable to just change one piston and rings,
The engine has only done 10,000 miles or less[/XXXXquote]

Flash75
12-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Yes, It's possible. You may have to unfasten the motor mounts and jack the engine a little to reach the front sump bolts. 1/4 drive wobble sockets may work without jacking the engine.

Clifton

howzee
12-21-2008, 04:00 PM
[quote=Flash75]Yes, It's possible. You may have to unfasten the motor mounts and jack the engine a little to reach the front sump bolts. 1/4 drive wobble sockets may work without jacking the engine.

Clifton[/
HI mange to take sump off and pistons with out taking the engine out and here video to prove it http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A9_VZid-HEQ&feature=channel_page

Add your comment to this topic!